IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF vs IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12 | 11:17 PM
starnova
Driver School Candidate

Default ISF vs IS 350

I need some information from people who know/have driven both of these cars.
Which one is softer-smoother-quieter combined / which one is more reliable.
I want to get the lexus IS, but if I had to put in a couple more $ to upgrade to the ISF, I'd still love to do so. However, I'm neither a race car driver nor in that early teenage days anymore. I just want a solid 'family' car that has full tech function. Again, the $ upgrade sounds tempting to me.

I don't care too much about MPG or price tag and thanks so much in advanced.
Old 04-13-12 | 11:25 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starnova
Your describing an IS350 here... much quieter and smoother for daily driving.

but if I had to put in a couple more $ to upgrade to the ISF, I'd still love to do so. I'm neither a race car driver nor in that early teenage days anymore.
now it sounds like you really want an IS-F... but you don't?

I just want a solid 'family' car that has full tech function.
The IS350 seats 5 people, IS-F only 4.

In all honestly I was in your shoes too, I just went with the IS-F cause then I won't have to look at an IS-F on the street and be like damnnnn I want one of those... GL with either choice your going to have a reliable car for years to come
Old 04-13-12 | 11:33 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

I need some information from people who know/have driven both of these cars.
I want to get the lexus IS, but if I had to put in a couple more $ to upgrade to the ISF, I'd still love to do so. However, I'm neither a race car driver nor in that early teenage days anymore. I just want a solid 'family' car that has full tech function. Again, the $ upgrade sounds tempting to me.

Welcome to Club Lexus.

The 350 will be softer-smoother-quieter. F is more fun to drive and own. I can't say on reliability - both the same? My IS F has been perfect so far (13 Months, 13K miles) - zero defects or problems.

Neither has much room in the back seat so, depending on the size of your family, any IS may be too small and you might want to look at the new ES or the new GS, or if money is not an issue, an LS. LS would beat them all for softer-smoother-quieter and lots of back seat / trunk room. But note a new generation LS may be announced in the next few months so you may want to wait for that if you decide on an LS.

Also, the next generation, probably improved IS line may also be announced in the next few months.

Anyway, depends on what you want. Poke around Club Lexus to learn more about these cars and go to a dealer and test drive them to determine for yourself.
Old 04-13-12 | 11:34 PM
TokyoF
Driver

If performance and big HP numbers aren't important then go with the ISX50, but if you want a pure enthusiast car that will put a smile on your face every time you push the start button, go with the F. Why not consider CPO? Numerous used options in the low 40's, high 30s.
Old 04-14-12 | 12:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Something to consider. The cost of maintenance on an IS F will cost a lot more than a regular IS 350. There are 10 quarts of oil to fill on a 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8, the brake pads are aggressive and are more prone to dusting and accelerated wear. Depending on how bad the brake pads cut into the rotor, you may need to replace them a lot sooner than a regular IS. IS F will cost you a little more to register and insure. It's all about preference. I have I've owned both and they both have their pros and cons. If you want a good family hauler, the interior comforts of the IS F, but dont need 416 hp, lower MPG and higher maintenance costs, IS 350 F Sport is something you should look into.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-14-12 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-14-12 | 12:51 AM
starnova
Driver School Candidate

wow thanks a lot guys!!!!!!
Old 04-14-12 | 07:59 AM
TokyoF
Driver

Cost of ownership is another consideration. I'm still on my original pads after 35k miles, and besides oil changes that run me roughly $100 a pop, and new tires that I just had replaced, I couldn't be happier. Scheduled maintenance will cost you however.
Old 04-14-12 | 08:54 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Insurance may be more expensive on the IS-F vs the IS 350.
Old 04-14-12 | 10:42 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Insurance may be more expensive on the IS-F vs the IS 350.
Not really depend on your driving record and your age as well, i also own both ISF and IS350, insurance is the same for me 950$ a yr full coverage from Wawanesa . Get ISF u wont regret it, mpg only 1or 2 diff from IS350, i'm getting 17.5mpg all local.
Old 04-14-12 | 10:54 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by flipside909
Something to consider. The cost of maintenance on an IS F will cost a lot more than a regular IS 350. There are 10 quarts of oil to fill on a 2UR-GSE 5.0L V8, the brake pads are aggressive and are more prone to dusting and accelerated wear. Depending on how bad the brake pads cut into the rotor, you may need to replace them a lot sooner than a regular IS. IS F will cost you a little more to register and insure. It's all about preference. I have I've owned both and they both have their pros and cons. If you want a good family hauler, the interior comforts of the IS F, but dont need 416 hp, lower MPG and higher maintenance costs, IS 350 F Sport is something you should look into.
+1 I two have owned both and agree with flipside it comes down to more performance ISF or something that's sporting with good comfort and nice DD IS350, I had 350 with several F sport bolt on it was nice fun quick car that I was able to pull 13.4 and 13.5 1/4 miles all day long on factory tires at English town but no were near as much fun as my ISF which is second faster at 1/4mile have tracked 4 times and is amazing on road course (getting my HPDE license) and once the F past 100mph it really shines.

ISF vs IS 350-1285448564233.jpg

ISF vs IS 350-sept_25_2010_9661.jpg

ISF vs IS 350-299165_982210445394_16300540_42641946_297668314_n.jpeg

ISF vs IS 350-gedc1377.jpg
Old 04-14-12 | 03:22 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

I have a 2007 IS350 and I can tell you this much....you will always regret not buying an ISF when you see one in the streets. Not only from personal experience (as the ISF was not available when I bought my IS350) but from personal ownership and having driven both cars. The differences between an ISF and a IS350 are not overwhelming to the point where you will regret owning one over the other because of it's MPG, drive-ability, or aesthetics. The areas that make a difference are definitely in power, performance, and believe it or not...reliability. Yes, there is a difference in reliability between the two cars. Just remember this, whenever Toyota seeks the help of Yamaha for anything mechanical, you can be assured that the mechanical part in question is going to be literally bullet-proof....just look at the MKIV Supra Turbo and LFA. Lastly, think about resale (if you would like) of the ISF in lets say 5-7yrs from now? Im pretty sure there will be a good demand for these in the second-hand market....and even then, most new high performance cars will just be in the 400HP range (i.e., Z, Evo, Sti, etc...) but the ISF will have superior luxury and build quality, only 5-7yrs older. If I can make any true suggestions on this site, it's that you should get the ISF....you will not regret it!
Old 04-14-12 | 05:32 PM
jchong
Driver

I've had both as well. All I can say I wish I bought the ISF from day 1.
Old 04-14-12 | 05:47 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

You posted on the F forum right? The answer should be clear
Old 04-14-12 | 05:50 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

get the F, you wont have regrets
Old 04-14-12 | 06:11 PM
darbs242
Racer

Haha what's there to compare....do I want the fast one or the slow one