More Track Day Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 09:56 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Track Day Video

More track Day video....
First round was kind of congested... but was still lots of fun.
The fourth and Last round of the day was more open and lots of fun as the sun was going down... was on fumes at the end so had to leave...
I had quite a few mods to the car during this track day than the previous 2 last year.
Primarily: 1.) Michelin PSS's in 245/275 widths... 2.) Carbotech XP 10's (front) and 8's (rear) 3.) Tom's chassis bracing and front shock tower bar 4.) Sikky rear sway bar on second setting
Overall I noticed compared to previous setup: 1.) less body roll, 2.) less understeer (bordering on ability to oversteer) 3. more aggressive braking and NO BRAKE FADE (even later in the day and Heavy braking)
This time I transitioned from using the automatic transmission to the manual shifting using a combo of the shift lever and paddle shifters. Lobux would be happy I tried to keep the engine in the higher rev range compared to using the automatic mode...
I'm still a rookie however and there are many better drivers at this event than me by far obviously... but I'm feeling more comfortable each day there...
Interesting track day side notes...... the main (older) instructor hit a cone with a guys M6 and almost spun out twice before the owner was like "you're done! take it in!" Scratches to his front bumper looked like they may buff out but not sure they would...
There was a guy from my hometown of Hutchinson KS who brought his orange brand new McLaren MP4 12C there... He decided to bring it instead of his Ferrari 458 Itallia (that he brought last time) or his Ferrari F430 or Testarossa or one of his other supercars.... Can you imagine having all those cars!!!!

Round 1
Round 4

Last edited by ERDoc74; 04-15-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 02:00 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Great videos! Quick question for you. What are using to capture the video, and how do you currently have it mounted? I am looking at various cam setups at the moment for track events.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 04-15-12, 03:23 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I'm using a sony camcorder (1st gen HD) mounted on a cruise cam headrest camera mount.... see below
http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html
Old 04-15-12, 03:38 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what are you running for tires?
Old 04-15-12, 04:59 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

MPSS's 245/35 and 275/30 Front and Rear
Old 04-15-12, 05:35 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
I'm using a sony camcorder (1st gen HD) mounted on a cruise cam headrest camera mount.... see below
http://www.filmtools.com/cruisecam.html
Thanks!
Old 04-15-12, 08:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Too much money on mods to the car, not enough money on mods to the driver. Sorry, but you'd really benefit from good instruction.
Old 04-16-12, 05:42 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for sharing its about having good time and enjoying your car like you stated still rookie over time your driving skill will continue to grow keep up good work. Oh and thanks for lettting everyone know about the mods to your F they do indeed work and help increase performance of F "Tom's chassis bracing and front shock tower bar and Sikky rear sway bar on second setting,Overall I noticed compared to previous setup: 1.) less body roll, 2less understeer (bordering on ability to oversteer)"
Old 04-16-12, 08:02 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Too much money on mods to the car, not enough money on mods to the driver. Sorry, but you'd really benefit from good instruction.
Damn, you sound like my wife! LOL (about the spending too much money on my car) You are absolutely right however, that I would benefit from some good instruction..... Hopefully in the next year or two I can convince my wife I need to spent 2-3K on a race driving school like Skip Barber's or the like.... I did buy 3 books about how to "drive fast" and will be reading/learning this summer. (I know this isn't as good as "hands on" instruction, but I hope it's better than nothing...) I've also been studying my and others videos around HPT track and noting things I maybe should do differently and what other drivers are doing that are better drivers...
Like I said, I'm a rookie and no Mario Andretti... LOL I'm just learning ahd having fun.
Old 04-16-12, 08:38 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Maybe some more Forza Motorsport on the XBOX with the fanatec wheel setup lol

Cool vids!
Old 04-16-12, 02:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,956 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
Damn, you sound like my wife! LOL (about the spending too much money on my car) You are absolutely right however, that I would benefit from some good instruction..... Hopefully in the next year or two I can convince my wife I need to spent 2-3K on a race driving school like Skip Barber's or the like.... I did buy 3 books about how to "drive fast" and will be reading/learning this summer. (I know this isn't as good as "hands on" instruction, but I hope it's better than nothing...) I've also been studying my and others videos around HPT track and noting things I maybe should do differently and what other drivers are doing that are better drivers...
Like I said, I'm a rookie and no Mario Andretti... LOL I'm just learning ahd having fun.
So my observation is based in part on my own progress driving cars. I road raced motorcycles in the 80's and got a good feel for how to go fast on two wheels. When I started driving cars at the track, I failed to modify my technique and suffered immensely. The first time I drove the F it seemed to be an understeering pig to me. After some time and some good instruction, I've learned how to manage the understeer - without making ANY changes to the suspension, adding braces, or doing anything else to the car. While I know the car understeers, it's not keeping me from going very quickly now.

My point here is, you're not in a good position to say anything about how the changes improved anything because you're on the steep part of the learning curve and the change in your driving skill makes a bigger difference than anything you are doing to the car. Worse than that, changing the car slows your progress as a driver because not only do you have to focus on how to drive, you also need to adapt to the new condition the car is in. This is why I haven't done anything to my car but change the brake pads for track use.

WAY faster drivers than either of us find the F very competent in stock form. I'm old enough to know what I don't know, and also old enough to know if I don't change the car, every improvement I see is because I learned how to drive better - and there is a LOT of room for me to improve. Best of all, money spent learning to drive better translates to driving faster in anything I drive with more control and more confidence. Parts for your car disappear with the car...

Congrats on starting to carry a little speed over the crest of the front straight. Way better than your first video.