IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What do you think about the Lexus "F" brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 09:56 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What do you think about the Lexus "F" brand?

This is just my opinion...some people might go nuts about it...but I think Lexus is screwing things up and trying too hard with the "F" brand.

I'm sure it's all about promotion and getting the F brand out there, but EVERYDAY I see so many Lexus IS-s with these "F Sport" badges on it and i think it's degrading the brand. Some of my friends that don't know a lot about cars, but they know I have an IS F, they go...hey, i see IS Fs all the time now, when they actually just see a 250/350 with F sport badges.

I believe the F line should be "exclusive" granted that it's not a ultra rare exotic or anything, but having F on everything is too much

You don't see anything M on the 335is...M Sport? The M brand is only for their absolute best of that model. V-series caddies don't do it. Mercedes AMG USED to do it, now AMG only goes on their top models, Audi only does R in their top of the line also.

Anyhow...what do you guys think?
Old 04-16-12, 10:03 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ totally agree I was just driving yesterday next to some dude with an IS 250 F and he was waving at me like we had something in common lol!!!

I think it's kind of a joke now because all the new IS models seem to have an F badge with some graphite colored rims.... They should do away with the F badge for all other IS models other than the real deal.
Old 04-16-12, 10:03 PM
V8Lex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spent 15mins talking to a coworker explaining to her that her M package doesn't make it a M3/M5, etc..

The joy of owning a F is more than a badge (I imagine, don't have mine yet) but if someone stole my F badge I'd either leave it blank or get a IS250 one

IMO, those in the know..still know what that huge bulge on the hood hides
Old 04-16-12, 10:28 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Murph145
^ totally agree I was just driving yesterday next to some dude with an IS 250 F and he was waving at me like we had something in common lol!!!
^^LOL! So...if they have the F Sport floor mats...does that mean they get an F Sport badge?
Old 04-16-12, 10:43 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Helllllls yea!! Lol u don't even need those just put the F badge on and call it a day!
Old 04-17-12, 02:10 AM
qsz06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen! Back in the day of the mighty 5.0 mustang I always removed the emblems and G.T symbol ! Granted the F badge is more appealing to the eye. My ZO6 emblems are more tasteful also so I left them on too .
Old 04-17-12, 04:27 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

I agree to a point. BMW does offer M-Sport upgrades (wheels, trim, suspension). It's nice to have the exclusivity of a real F, but it's also nice to have a factory upgrade option for those that want the piece of mind that their warranty is in tact.
Old 04-17-12, 04:38 AM
TokyoF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That fact that we are talking about it, means that if for nothing else publicity is working, and sparking interest regardless of which side of the fence you stand. Five years ago, Lexus was branded an old mans country club grocery getter.....now, we have the ISF, LFA and the newly introduced GS F sport. What's more, I think Lexus should be commended for stepping up to the plate and getting enthusiasts enthused about their product.
Old 04-17-12, 04:52 AM
mcauley
Pit Crew

Well in the uk we have msport and almost all 3 series has the package and they have the m badge on everything
The Lexus only have 3 badges and they are different to the real f badge
I like the f brand it sells cars and it will make people want to upgrade to the true F
And if they don't no the real isF then who cares
Old 04-17-12, 05:51 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, the isf is very recognizable to the eye and ears of anybody who knows anything about Lexus. I think Lexus is doing the right thing and bringing a new type of customer to the brand. It's no longer the old mans car. I like how an old man can buy a car and then a young kid can buy the same car with an f sport package. Having the F sport option is the best of both worlds. The isF and LFA are the best of the best and enthusiasts know that.
Old 04-17-12, 06:25 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

the badge should say f mini instead of f sport hahaha
Old 04-17-12, 06:54 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was another thread on this, but i do agree. Regardless, the ISF is still one of the rarest sports cars out there (barely 100 selling on cars.com in the entire nation), so that gives me peace of mind. I just hope Lexus keeps production of the ISF's limited so it remains rare.
Old 04-17-12, 07:00 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree there's too many f-sport badges on other IS models but trust me when I say people KNOW mine is a ISF when i drive by, the sound of the V8 is distinct and the bulges of the hood give it away quick
Old 04-17-12, 08:05 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish the F Sport badges just said Sport w/o the F....no me gusta. Like mentioned above the F brand loses exclusivity with these badges being to similar

Last edited by DCoolBeans; 04-17-12 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-17-12, 09:28 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brand management is a difficult undertaking for any business. The ability to transfer some of the "F" technology to subordinate models is only truly effective on a brand awareness level if the "F Sport" logo is applied to the product--in this instance, a car.

BMW with the "M" and Mercedes with the "AMG" are also, in effect and like Lexus, intentionally causing market confusion to rev up their premier brand emblems through broader placement pm their vehicles and parts.

As a CMO, I get it. As an "F" owner, I don't like it.

Regardless, the folks who REALLY know something about stealth fighters know the difference. I expect the "F" will remain the exotic we have all come to love, so I would not expect to see the highway filled with cars bearing the coveted brand emblem.

And, with a new, "loaded" F with sales tax extracting around $70,000, they are not going to be selling like corn flakes. The exclusivity has been engineered and accordingly priced into the ride. Thank God the "old guys" like me are buying them and doing low-mileage trade-ins and attainable prices.

Quick Reply: What do you think about the Lexus "F" brand?