IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Salvage Title ISF. Buy it or keep looking

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 12:11 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would not buy a salvage vehicle .. from a resale stand point it will be a bad investestment.
Old 04-17-12, 12:22 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
I would not buy a salvage vehicle .. from a resale stand point it will be a bad investestment.
I wouldn't agree with this. If you get a $7500 "discount" on the purchase, you'll carry that $7500 through to a future sale. Plus you didn't pay sales tax or interest on that amount.

So yes, resale will be hurt compared to non-salvage vehicles, but no more so than the discount you locked in at purchase.

The key is getting the right "discount".
Old 04-17-12, 01:42 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get desperate
Old 04-17-12, 02:17 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MMCRacing
I wouldn't agree with this. If you get a $7500 "discount" on the purchase, you'll carry that $7500 through to a future sale. Plus you didn't pay sales tax or interest on that amount.

So yes, resale will be hurt compared to non-salvage vehicles, but no more so than the discount you locked in at purchase.

The key is getting the right "discount".

Yes, if you get the right discount. However, these cars are not flying off the shelf with no salvage title at good discounts already. So if you buy one with a salvage title even at a good price I can assure you that on a trade even a private sale you will practically have to give it away to sell it. I guess you could argue all sides of this. It's your money.

Last edited by MercuryISF; 04-17-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 05:04 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

yeah i may call the owner and try to get some more info on it. NADA Book on it is 44k. thats High Book. So at 30k its 14k below book.
Old 04-17-12, 06:32 PM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm an independent insurance agent and would like to add that most insurance companies will not allow full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle. You may end up getting a deal on the car and pay really high insurance rates on your car. Check with your agent and have the vin number handy before you purchase. I have 36 companies in my arsenal and very few will cover it. Also I wouldn't consider that car unless you were in the mid twenties. That would only be a starting point for a consideration.
I know what it's like to get the car fever because I get it every time I get another one. But every time I set my mind on a car and specific color I find it.Every time. When I found my IS350 I wanted a black one and they were very scarce. So I started calling every Lexus Dealer in the Southern region of the US and asked the pre owned manager if they were about to trade for one. Now be ready to get told how rare they are and you probably won't find one etc etc. The reality is any one of them can trade for one at any time. Voila I found a dealer that had one coming in on trade. Probably two weeks worth of work. Check ebay.....my current F was discovered there and it didn't sell at auction so by then I had the owners number and email address. He took another $500.00 off a car that had 16k miles put on one at a time and showroom perfect. It had never seen inclement weather and I bought it $8,500 behind retail! Be persistent and hang on for a minute and it will surface. Don't take no for an answer and make the dealer write your name down with your info. They initially will think you are just some dreamer that will end up buying something else unless you tell them this is what you want and if they get one you want to be contacted. I have always found my car and you will too! Clean your garage out and buy some quick detailer because it is coming......soon.
Best of Luck!!!
Vintage
Old 04-17-12, 07:05 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Thanks Vintage. appricate the heads up
Old 04-17-12, 07:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

I'd only buy a salvage titled car if it was still wrecked and I wanted to build a track car. It's hard enough to sell a car with a clean title. Be patient, the right deal will come to you at the perfect time.
Old 04-17-12, 08:38 PM
ILowNslowI
Pole Position

I had a s2000 I bought wrecked(salvage title) it was a joke that a salvage was issued but it was & no bs it was one of the CLEANEST s2k's ive seen to this day(most are immaculate or beat to hell) I took it to a very reputable shop, legit work, legit fix, one of the best/fun/cleanest cars ive owned to this day.......take the car to a shop, mechanic, even lexus & have it looked at...if it was fixed correctly it can potentially be a good deal imo
Old 04-17-12, 09:11 PM
Capn
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I know at least one of my credit unions won't even loan on a salvaged title automobile. I personally wouldn't buy one myself.
Old 04-18-12, 03:07 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Looks pretty clean I would take it for $22k
Old 04-18-12, 11:27 AM
nategracey
Driver School Candidate

Its all about the car itself.

Drive it! Get a feel for it. open all the doors, look at all the fender gaps, all the paint work(if any)

If its done right, you can tell almost immediately.

A salvage car can be an amazing car for half price!

Ive had two salvage supras and a salvage NSX.
Loved them all.

Baller on a budget!!
Old 04-18-12, 05:32 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

08 ISFs can be had with clean titles for $36k here in So Cal (with high mileage though) where prices are typically higher, so I would recommend just keep looking. Several months ago I got my 08 w/ 50k miles for $37,800 with the dealer swapping out all modded parts on my trade-in and giving them back to me. So that was a bonus $1-2k on labor + $2-3k parts I got for free.

Plus my car came from Utah originally so just keep looking. The ISF is in one of the highest insurance brackets so to bring a salvage title into the equation...I think that's trouble. If the car was $25k then I would consider it but I would honestly recommend a higher mileage CPO over a salvage. Toyota is the one brand besides Honda that I would not care so much about mileage.
Old 04-18-12, 06:43 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Unless you know exactly where and how it was repaired, I think it's a pretty big risk. You need to know the extent of the damage and if your budget is really that tight.
Old 04-18-12, 08:22 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is any kind of recall on the car, salvages do not apply. Buying a salvage is agreeing to drive it to the ground b/c you won't be able to sell it.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title ISF. Buy it or keep looking