IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Salvage Title ISF. Buy it or keep looking

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 08:56 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking about that pearl IS-F at Prestman, I saw it the night it came in.

Hood, bumper, one fender. No airbag deployment. I don't understand how it was totaled.
I was actually picking up my 350 that night (for 10k under clean book). Kinda wanted it, but couldn't justify the price for a car that I'll only drive 3000 miles a year.

Nice car, good (honest) dealership. Finance through Mountain America CU.
Made a deal with them: if I ever trade in my 350, they'll buy it back at 70% of market value (for a clean titled car). Got a bumper to bumper warranty for $1500 (high, but piece of mind usually is).

PM me if you want more info. I know cars, and this is my first rebuilt one. I was a little hesitant (ok, a lot), but for my needs, this car was perfect.
Old 04-18-12, 11:26 PM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prestman is good. Thats were I got my ISF too
Old 04-19-12, 02:17 AM
black08isf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PurduePete
... Buying a salvage is agreeing to drive it to the ground b/c you won't be able to sell it.

This statement is untrue for many cases, people that I know including myself had salvage title vehicles for many times. They are great cars for great price if done right. When buying a salvage vehicle, it would be very helpful to see pictures of the car before it was fixed (usually they get it from auction place and you can request pictures if they are still available). And when it comes to reselling, we had gotten back the money with the ratio is more than what it would if we were to buy a clean title car, and in some case, even make money out of it. For instance, my brother bought a 2005 honda S2000 salvage title with 25k miles on it for 10k. He drove it for couple months and resell it to a guy in San Diego for 12.5k. He then bought a 2006 Toyota Matrix with 40k miles for 5k and drove it till 65k miles and then resell it to a family who bought the car for their daughter for 6.5k. So in the end, he roughly running the cars with free insurance and gas (and even make money).

On the other hand, I have seen cars that been cut in haft or even in fourth and welded back with another car's haft and still hold a clean title. A clean title doesn't mean the car is clean. As long as the owner doesn't report and pay to fix it out of his/her pocket, the car will still hold the clean title. So, even when you buying a clean title vehicle, treat it as a salvage and look for any possible flaw.

When it comes down to salvage title, I would recommend to bring the car to a trusted mechanic shop and have them check it out for any potential problems. Then test drive it. If the car is done right, you won't notice any defect from what it should look like originally. I hope this opinion would help to clarify you a bit.

@STGSC400 : that car's price is too high for a salvage title. I would pay 20-25k for it max. If you aren't that desperate, try to look around more. And time will reward you with a happy ride for a long time.

Last edited by black08isf; 04-19-12 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 03:17 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ So how should I rephrase my statement to include your brother's two success stories? Lets see..... "Buying a salvage is agreeing to drive it to the ground b/c you won't be able to sell it. But in some cases, you will be able to sell it, even at a profit, b/c there is a sucker born every minute."

Originally Posted by black08isf
....On the other hand, I have seen cars that been cut in haft or even in fourth and welded back with another car's haft and still hold a clean title. A clean title doesn't mean the car is clean. As long as the owner doesn't report and pay to fix it out of his/her pocket, the car will still hold the clean title. So, even when you buying a clean title vehicle, treat it as a salvage and look for any possible flaw.
^^^I rest my case.

If you had a trusted mechanic at your disposal, he would tell you to search elsewhere.
Old 04-19-12, 04:47 AM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Thanks All.

There is the One at Prestman and the one that i posted the Link to in Portland. The issue with Prestman would be the Taxes. If i go throught a dealer i will pay tax, If i go with a private seller i can save 2-3k and put that info Mods.

I may go look at the one at Prestman, But im sure they will not drop the car to a decent price. The guy in Portland is willing to deal. He just is having a hard time getting me the Paperwork on what work was done. "RED FLAG" But i will see what happens.

Im in NC for work and im going to look at a 2011 for 48k I will see if they can do it for 47k OTD. Who knows.

Matt
Old 04-19-12, 04:49 AM
ISFBHR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STGSC400
Thanks All.

There is the One at Prestman and the one that i posted the Link to in Portland. The issue with Prestman would be the Taxes. If i go throught a dealer i will pay tax, If i go with a private seller i can save 2-3k and put that info Mods.

I may go look at the one at Prestman, But im sure they will not drop the car to a decent price. The guy in Portland is willing to deal. He just is having a hard time getting me the Paperwork on what work was done. "RED FLAG" But i will see what happens.

Im in NC for work and im going to look at a 2011 for 48k I will see if they can do it for 47k OTD. Who knows.

Matt
Prestman is where we bought ours. Great people to deal with. make them an offer and walk away and if they call you back its all good

Good Luck
Old 04-19-12, 12:57 PM
mbeach
Rookie

I live over in Daybreak, and I saw that IS-F (or one exactly like it, with temporary tags) last night on 4000W.
It might be gone already.

When I bought the 350, they had 4 IS300s, 3 IS250s and they had just gotten rid of another IS-F (I initially went there to check out their Porsche 996 C4S). They got the white IS-F in that night as well.
That's 6 second gen ISs on the lot in a month period. If anyone knows how to put one back to right, it's them.

I'd always go for clean title over a rebuild, but for my needs I couldn't say no (plus they gave me a good trade on my truly gigantic Duramax dually). If you have the will and the means, there's no reason not to buy "new".
On the other hand, no car is a sound investment. If you buy any vehicle with the intent of "making money off of it," you'd be better off collecting NASCAR memorabilia.
Old 04-19-12, 02:17 PM
Heather558
Driver

You'll have a hard time selling it someday. Just as you are skeptical of buying salvage so is everyone else. I'd say keep looking. Also, insurance could be tricky? I got a quote a while back and I remember seeing salvage cars weren't Insured by the company. I'm not sure if you have to finance it but My credit union won't give loans on salvage. Good luck.
Old 04-19-12, 02:47 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Thanks Heather.
Old 04-19-12, 02:49 PM
mbeach
Rookie

I was worried about insurance too. Called my company (USAA) and asked. They will insure, no problems, however they will not pay full value in the event of a total loss. They will pay up to 70% of full value however, which leaves me clean since I got it cheap.
Financing was a non-issue as well. My bank (USAA again) had no problems. I ended up going to a local bank just because the rate was slightly better.
At the end of the day, the only downside to MY deal was 7 little letters on the title. I can get over that.
Old 04-19-12, 02:49 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Mbeach thanks. I guess we have alot of Members up in the Utah Area? Im in sandy off 9400 S.
Old 04-19-12, 02:52 PM
mbeach
Rookie

There seems to be an ISx50 on every corner.
Only 2 IS-Fs that I've seen so far though.

I've had my car since mid-January, but I work out of the country a lot, so I'm rarely out in it (well, I've put on 500 miles in 3 months).
Old 04-19-12, 02:54 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

I travel a Ton for work. Headed to Korea, China and Vietnam next month. Thats why it would be nice to find something before i leave.

Prob have crossed your path at the Airport LOL
Old 04-19-12, 02:58 PM
mbeach
Rookie

I practically live at SLC international -I'm on a first name basis with the Customs agents.

I bought the IS then three days later I was in Siberia. For 6 weeks. In January.
VietNam sounds like an awesome trip, start your malarial pills now, they got a new strain that is proving to be a killer.
Old 04-19-12, 03:13 PM
STGSC400
Pole Position

I wonder what ISF that you saw. It looks like the one at Prestman and Harrison are still onsite?

Quick Reply: Salvage Title ISF. Buy it or keep looking