IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time writing, only read ^0^

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 06:37 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts

I believe this is accurate for the normal IS, however the believe IS-F is different.

Press it once to turn off traction control (it will turn back on).

Press it and hold to turn everything off, it wont come back on. (except the electronic lsd)

Do the "pedal dance" to turn everything off + turn off the electronic lsd (leaving you with the inside wheel doing a nice burnout in corners)

PAGING LOBUXRACER TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT!!!!

Originally Posted by Valkirk
It's as simple as pushing a button... It's the VDIM that isn't meant to be turned off.

Sorry to hear of the crash but glad all ok. Would never recommend turning off the TRAC or VSC in heavy rain, but indeed sounds like you hydo-planned. You have decent tyre tread depth still?

Disable the VSC and traction control.

This feature is useful if you like to drive your IS-F like a hot rod and enjoy scorching your tires and burning rubber. You bought a sports car, but at the same time, you bought a Lexus. This means you are going to go out of your way to disable these features. If you happen to get stuck in snow / mud, I would suggest turning the engine off and turning it back on if you have disabled these two features.

To turn off TRAC:

Simply press the Off button with the image of a vehicle with swirling tire tracks in front of it, located right next to the "Sport Mode" button. Simply press the button again to turn it back on.

To turn off TRAC and VSC:

Push and hold the TRAC button for 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. You will see "VSC* off" if it has been successfully disabled.

Why do I need this?
There really is no other reason to turn these modes off unless you are drag racing or racing on a track, and want to feel the natural sport capabilities of the vehicle. The tires will slip at full throttle. Please note that if you only turn off TRAC, this mode will be re-enabled when you approach a higher speed, yet again another Lexus feature.

Disabling VDIM

The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excessive wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the button on the dash, the system automatically restores itself after passing 30 mph. The overly protective Lexus engineers most likely did this to lower our insurance rates, but it simply takes out the sport feel of the ride. If Toyota wants to really compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving. After all, it is a performance car.

If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Lexus programmed a trick. This code disables the VDIM until the car is turned off.

1. Push in the parking brake and then start the car

2. Tap the break twice, second time hold the break down

3. Tap the parking brake twice

4. Repeat until the traction control (the car with the sliding marks) warning light appears on the dash

5. It may take some practice. Try again if not successful.

Why do I need this?

I highly do not suggest doing this. This theoretically disables sport mode as well, since VDIM includes sport mode. This means you are losing the features of sport mode. I would only suggest this if you have a throttle controller.
Old 04-23-12, 03:17 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL at the Chinese comment...hahahah

Real problem is your location - you live in CA so that explains it
Old 04-23-12, 06:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

It is impossible to disable VDIM without pulling some fuses and then you'll have a Christmas tree of warning lights on the dash.

The piece on TRAC is right - tap off, turns back on at 30 mph.

The piece on VSC is confused. Press and hold for 3+ seconds, and VSC (vehicle stability control) turns off. This means none of the stability controls work. ABS, brake assist, and the electronic differential are still working - they are part of VDIM. Sport mode is completely unaffected by this - sport mode changes throttle response and steering feel. If you have VSC on, then you get more room to play before the nannies kick in while in sport mode.

The pedal dance disables all the things VSC off disables, and turns off the electronic differential. You still have ABS and brake assist. You also have sport mode throttle and steering capabilities.

So, to learn from what happened here - if you want more freedom but want a safety net (which you should always have while street driving) press the SPORT mode button and call it a day. Iff you are at the track, press and hold VSC to turn it off, ALSO press SPORT mode to improve how the car responds to driver inputs and how the car provides feedback to the driver. Pressing VSC off in the rain is more than foolish, it's really difficult to predict road conditions and the stability controls will catch you as long as you don't completely violate the laws of physics.

BTW, excel is a spreadsheet and has nothing to do with accelerator pedals.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-23-12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-12-12, 03:01 AM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help me out!!
just got a quote from insurance 27,942 mile 2008 isf for $40,186,
is there room for more? or am i good?
They estimate it costs $29,000 to fix, what should i do? thanks.

Last edited by 2dank; 05-12-12 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-13-12, 09:33 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Djtexan
I still don't understand the pedal dance scenario? I thought if you held traction button down it disabled all of that?
You are correct! If the button is held down for extended period it will disable ALL safety features of TRAC control and VDIM. OP i am hoping that English is a second language for you as I am having a really difficult time deciphering what you are saying in your post. OP what you did is NOT what a well advised individual would do when it is raining out on a high HP vehicle such as our F's. Secondly I have NO clue what you are referring too when you state that you had "full control" over the vehicle when this incident took place. If you had control this incident would have NOT taken place! Pressing the throttle aggressively enough to break the rear tires loose while on the highway in the rain is nothing short of "driving too fast for conditions" and in Pennsylvania you would have been cited for such reckless behavior. Words of advice for future driving endeavors. ensure you have GOOD quality tires on your vehicle, drive in a prudent manor (i.e. within reason for the conditions present) leave ALL driving aids functional when driving on the streets (they have been put there for a reason! to protect those without sufficient skill to maintain the vehicle, and arguably they are capable of offering ANY driver an added benefit of increased control-ability. However they can NOT counteract the laws of physics and reverse stupidity!)
Old 05-13-12, 10:04 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2dank
Help me out!!
just got a quote from insurance 27,942 mile 2008 isf for $40,186,
is there room for more? or am i good?
They estimate it costs $29,000 to fix, what should i do? thanks.
So rather than paying 29k to fix they are offering you 40k for write off? Can't be sure but from other posts looks a reasonable amount for the car.