IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time writing, only read ^0^

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 09:26 AM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time writing, only read ^0^

Last Friday, it was raining heavy. I was going down south 15 in my 08 isf around 9 pm.
The rain was heavy and I remember going about 65 in the farthest left lane. I slow pressed the excel and the car just suddenly slipped or something. (I had the sport mode on, traction off, did not know it became a habit when I start the car) The car hit the rail and did circles. The car could still run and only the front and back bumper was off, but turned out had a lot of damage to the front. We are still not sure how much damage was done to the engine or if it is worth to be totaled. Yeah I survived a heavy accident and got lucky that I had full control of the car even during and the cars behind me missed me . My car was complete stock. My lesson was that know what you drive because it is already fast and I look good in it as it is..for me at least.

Last edited by 2dank; 10-29-12 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 10:00 AM
djhydro
Driver

Ah man sorry to hear about it... Similar incident happened with my friend when he got the e92 m3. Did not understand the power of the car and totally lost control of the car and totaled it.. He had it for only 2-3 weeks.
Old 04-22-12, 10:10 AM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

hey there
the thing with me was that I was completely unaware of the accident happening. I wasn't doing anything stupid in the rain and was going with the flow and shiiiit started when I pressed the excel. I guess too fast is too fast, but don't make me wanna sue Lexus or the Gov't lol. Insurance pays.

Last edited by 2dank; 10-29-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 10:42 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear. It's never safe with the rain no matter what. It's good that you were not hurt in any way. Cars can be replaced even though the damage initially looks to be bad. The TRAC would've definitely helped. I hate driving in the rain, and it definitely would have been added help to navigate the wet roads. But it's good to hear that you're doing well after.
Old 04-22-12, 10:47 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you disable traction control on a IS-F ? Pressing the button 3sec+ do not disable it, did you did the pedal dance ? Looks like you hydroplaned. Sorry for the car, at least you are okay.
Old 04-22-12, 11:52 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
How did you disable traction control on a IS-F ? Pressing the button 3sec+ do not disable it, did you did the pedal dance ? Looks like you hydroplaned. Sorry for the car, at least you are okay.
It's as simple as pushing a button... It's the VDIM that isn't meant to be turned off.

Sorry to hear of the crash but glad all ok. Would never recommend turning off the TRAC or VSC in heavy rain, but indeed sounds like you hydo-planned. You have decent tyre tread depth still?

Disable the VSC and traction control.

This feature is useful if you like to drive your IS-F like a hot rod and enjoy scorching your tires and burning rubber. You bought a sports car, but at the same time, you bought a Lexus. This means you are going to go out of your way to disable these features. If you happen to get stuck in snow / mud, I would suggest turning the engine off and turning it back on if you have disabled these two features.

To turn off TRAC:

Simply press the Off button with the image of a vehicle with swirling tire tracks in front of it, located right next to the "Sport Mode" button. Simply press the button again to turn it back on.

To turn off TRAC and VSC:

Push and hold the TRAC button for 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. You will see "VSC* off" if it has been successfully disabled.

Why do I need this?
There really is no other reason to turn these modes off unless you are drag racing or racing on a track, and want to feel the natural sport capabilities of the vehicle. The tires will slip at full throttle. Please note that if you only turn off TRAC, this mode will be re-enabled when you approach a higher speed, yet again another Lexus feature.

Disabling VDIM

The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excessive wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the button on the dash, the system automatically restores itself after passing 30 mph. The overly protective Lexus engineers most likely did this to lower our insurance rates, but it simply takes out the sport feel of the ride. If Toyota wants to really compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving. After all, it is a performance car.

If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Lexus programmed a trick. This code disables the VDIM until the car is turned off.

1. Push in the parking brake and then start the car

2. Tap the break twice, second time hold the break down

3. Tap the parking brake twice

4. Repeat until the traction control (the car with the sliding marks) warning light appears on the dash

5. It may take some practice. Try again if not successful.

Why do I need this?

I highly do not suggest doing this. This theoretically disables sport mode as well, since VDIM includes sport mode. This means you are losing the features of sport mode. I would only suggest this if you have a throttle controller.

Last edited by Valkirk; 04-22-12 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 12:07 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe one could take the defensive driving school where one could learn how to push the car to their limits and know what they are. A co-worker of mine who drives M3 saids, he's driving in it too since he tracks that car and races with it (licenced), so not just an ordinary person can just drive the car and stuff without the skills.

Last edited by Sango; 04-22-12 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 01:41 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

When the weather's dry, I only do 3 sec thing because nowadays cars and computers can be smarter than we humans and like my incident, traction on would have been it, it just depends when and where and how much traction you need in situations. I feel like 90 % of people out there driving so called fast expensive cars do not really know what they be driving and are not driving their M's and amg's in ways they are designed to be. Even when there can be good drivers like me getting in accidents, you fools who are pushing the machine without knowledge on street are potential suicidal murderers and killers. If it wasn't for that IS-F, I know I could have flipped across the freeway or taken out innocent lives. If you ain't schumacher, I don't care what you drive, you ain't getting those corners tight with these 2 ton sedans right?
Old 04-22-12, 02:14 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, I know all this, I had an '08 too. I was asking how he disabled traction control, because on '08 pressing the button, even the long press, DOESN'T disable it, it is going back after 30mph. The only way to really disable it is doing the pedal dance, and that is nuts on a daily driver in the rain.

Originally Posted by Valkirk
It's as simple as pushing a button... It's the VDIM that isn't meant to be turned off.

Sorry to hear of the crash but glad all ok. Would never recommend turning off the TRAC or VSC in heavy rain, but indeed sounds like you hydo-planned. You have decent tyre tread depth still?

Disable the VSC and traction control.

This feature is useful if you like to drive your IS-F like a hot rod and enjoy scorching your tires and burning rubber. You bought a sports car, but at the same time, you bought a Lexus. This means you are going to go out of your way to disable these features. If you happen to get stuck in snow / mud, I would suggest turning the engine off and turning it back on if you have disabled these two features.

To turn off TRAC:

Simply press the Off button with the image of a vehicle with swirling tire tracks in front of it, located right next to the "Sport Mode" button. Simply press the button again to turn it back on.

To turn off TRAC and VSC:

Push and hold the TRAC button for 3 seconds while the vehicle is stopped. You will see "VSC* off" if it has been successfully disabled.

Why do I need this?
There really is no other reason to turn these modes off unless you are drag racing or racing on a track, and want to feel the natural sport capabilities of the vehicle. The tires will slip at full throttle. Please note that if you only turn off TRAC, this mode will be re-enabled when you approach a higher speed, yet again another Lexus feature.

Disabling VDIM

The vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system automatically prevents excessive wheel spin and fishtailing. If you deactivate the system by pushing the button on the dash, the system automatically restores itself after passing 30 mph. The overly protective Lexus engineers most likely did this to lower our insurance rates, but it simply takes out the sport feel of the ride. If Toyota wants to really compete with Mercedes, BMW and Audi then it needs to allow drivers to make more decisions and assume the risks of driving. After all, it is a performance car.

If you wish to temporarily disable the VDIM completely, Lexus programmed a trick. This code disables the VDIM until the car is turned off.

1. Push in the parking brake and then start the car

2. Tap the break twice, second time hold the break down

3. Tap the parking brake twice

4. Repeat until the traction control (the car with the sliding marks) warning light appears on the dash

5. It may take some practice. Try again if not successful.

Why do I need this?

I highly do not suggest doing this. This theoretically disables sport mode as well, since VDIM includes sport mode. This means you are losing the features of sport mode. I would only suggest this if you have a throttle controller.
Old 04-22-12, 02:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2dank
...I feel like 90 % of people out there driving so called fast expensive cars do not really know what they be driving and are not driving their M's and amg's in ways they are designed to be. Even when there can be good drivers like me getting in accidents, you fools who are pushing the machine without knowledge on street are potential suicidal murderers and killers. If it wasn't for that IS-F, I know I could have flipped across the freeway or taken out innocent lives. If you ain't schumacher, I don't care what you drive, you ain't getting those corners tight with these 2 ton sedans right?
Yep, I agree as well. Especially for Vancouver, Canada, seeing luxury cars on the road is normal as opposed to WA or other places where you see non-luxury cars as the majority.

Sometimes there is illegal street racing and the cops in Vancouver, had been cracking down and also use the civil forfeiture, depending on the servieity.

One most recently was this year.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Old 04-22-12, 02:49 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Ya... heard about those rich Chinese communism kids .. but the real problem can be seen in the suburbs.. where I live where young people driving 328s is250s c250s 350z g37 etc, thinking they real racers with some background after putting some stickers on them cars is where the real trouble is. Man.. around 300 bucks per month can get you these cars , that's why you see so many base models in the suburbs. Even an z4 3.0i will make you feel like a racer. Putting speed out of the equation, my gripe is that every person driving an automobile should learn what they be driving before they do anything with the machine. Can't reinvent the wheels and cars been here with us for ages and we still can't figure them out lol.
Old 04-22-12, 02:56 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Well, I'm just saying accidents can still happen unknowingly and cars in general are designed to be dangerous to the lives of human in certain situations. Therefore we should really rethink the value of cars on the road before you say transportation is the key to the survival.
Old 04-22-12, 03:01 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I'm Chinese as well. Those kids can be crazy - should not be on the street.
Old 04-22-12, 03:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

scary stuff. glad your alright
Old 04-22-12, 05:47 PM
Djtexan
Rookie

I still don't understand the pedal dance scenario? I thought if you held traction button down it disabled all of that?

Quick Reply: First time writing, only read ^0^