IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rmi scoops review

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 10:08 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
A more scientific test or at least one based on a greater pool of data would be for one of the individuals who has logged thier gas milage (hand caluculated) over the life of the ownership of thier F as a baseline. Then if they install the scoops and run the car for a month or more doing thier regular driving as before charting the MPG. Comparing the new numbers to the old would give a fairly decent review of any benifits from a MPG standpoint. As for a HP/TQ increase, I think that will be harder since the device is not easily dynoed and trap speed/ET is so variable based on weather, temp, elevation and driver consistancy.
I actually have an app on my phone, been using it with my previous car and using it on the F now for about 35k miles already as well. I'll report back later this month with my findings. I would say though the scoops does seem to help a little bit. It seems like it easier for me to get my projected mpg of 18-19. Before the scoops I had to really try in order to get those #'s
Old 06-13-12, 10:44 AM
FOVFR421
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a spreadsheet of all my mileage and fuel usage and have since I purchased the car. It doesn't account for the times that I have stepped on it harder than others or the 18 miles the shop put on it "checking the brakes!" Overall I have filled up 17 times since I bought the car before installing the scoops. At that time I had an running average of 18.272 miles per gallon. Over the next month, the mileage per gallon has fluctuated but has started to increase. I have filled up 3 times since and the running mileage has gone up .2 mpg with tank mpgs of 18.4, 21.2, 19.8.

It definitely seems like it is easier to maintain a higher MPG for me over the last month. This "tank ave" is currently at 21.8. I have the same trip into the office and home every weekday. My weekend driving hasn't changed much over that time span either.

I think the best way to test the product is to get an OBDII port device that connects to your phone or computer that will give you readings for intake pressure and intake temperature. Then run some test, maybe a tankful without the scoops to get the baseline and then run a tank with the scoops and see what the difference is. I really want to do this, but I don't have the OBDII reader.

I look at it as they look nice and functional on the car, they may help with gas mileage and possibly a few hp, but they weren't expensive and they won't do any damage. I call it a win/win.
Old 06-13-12, 01:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Unfortunately it's not quite so simple. The switch from winter to summer fuel blends has a significant impact on fuel economy. Running the A/C has a very significant impact on fuel economy, and the amount it runs changes based on OAT (outside air temperature) as does the pumping efficiency of the engine (which is where these scoops would potentially make their difference) because the air density is less when warmer and more when colder. There's also the impact of cold cycle time - how long doe the engine's oil stay below 182F - because the colder it is, the longer it takes to fully heat the engine and the more heat is lost to raising the temperature to target operating temperature from ambient.

It would really be nice if it were easy to quantify this - unfortunately, it's extremely difficult.

FWIW, I've been averaging 23.0 mpg on this tank because the OAT is nice enough that I can turn off the A/C compressor and open the windows. If it were normal summer temperatures, I'd typically be seeing 20.x on a tank of gas, not 23.0. LOTS of little things make big differences.
Old 06-14-12, 04:29 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

So finally got around to doing some testing last night and I actually found a difference.
Before Scoops and Intake wrapping:
-MAF(LB/MIn) = 40.0 max

After Scoops/Wrap:
-MAF(Lb/Min) = 45.5 max
Old 06-14-12, 05:25 AM
FOVFR421
Rookie

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
So finally got around to doing some testing last night and I actually found a difference.
Before Scoops and Intake wrapping:
-MAF(LB/MIn) = 40.0 max

After Scoops/Wrap:
-MAF(Lb/Min) = 45.5 max
Nice! Thanks for providing some empirical data. Did you by any chance read an intake temp with and without?
Old 06-14-12, 05:47 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FOVFR421
Nice! Thanks for providing some empirical data. Did you by any chance read an intake temp with and without?
I did, but I honestly dont remember 100%. I believe the difference with -5-8 degrees from a base of 91* at WOT. I wasn't really able to finish my review how I wanted because im still trying to figure out why my car is running richer than usual (Problem started driving me crazy and I stoppe recording). Im 99% sure its the Injen intake, but im going to put in my spare MAS sensor just to be sure I dont spend money on parts I dont need. I should have a full review by saturday if the problem is not the intake.
Old 06-14-12, 09:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Something is funny with those numbers. You'd DEFINITELY feel a 10+% increase in the butt dyno. The other odd ball is, if airflow is increasing, you should be seeing lean, not rich.

Since the install on the scoops is pretty simple, it might make the most sense to datalog MAF vs. speed for both cases. If the scoops do provide a higher intake pressure, the MAF graphs would be identical at low speeds with an increasing difference as speed increases. This is independent of rich/lean and only focused on the physics of the scoops and their ability to increase pressure to the intake.

BTW, MAF numbers from the ECM are temperature compensated, so the gm/min or lb/min take temperature into account.
Old 06-14-12, 10:32 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Something is funny with those numbers. You'd DEFINITELY feel a 10+% increase in the butt dyno. The other odd ball is, if airflow is increasing, you should be seeing lean, not rich.

Since the install on the scoops is pretty simple, it might make the most sense to datalog MAF vs. speed for both cases. If the scoops do provide a higher intake pressure, the MAF graphs would be identical at low speeds with an increasing difference as speed increases. This is independent of rich/lean and only focused on the physics of the scoops and their ability to increase pressure to the intake.

BTW, MAF numbers from the ECM are temperature compensated, so the gm/min or lb/min take temperature into account.
I believe the reason the car is running rich to be the Injen intake. I just swapped back my stock MAF sensor and the AFR went back up to 11.2-5 WOT in 2nd gear from mid-high tens last night. Though the old MAF made a difference, were thinking the design of the intake is flawed in that the circumference surrounding the MAF is smaller. Im thinking that the increased airflow is cooling the MAF disproportionally to what the ECM is calibrated for, causing the increase in fuel. I have also been thinking about putting the Sikky O2 simulator to see if thats going to make a difference. I incorporated O2 boungs into my exhaust setup so that the car throws no codes and it has been working great so far as ive driven about 400 miles and still am code free. I have a Takeda intake coming in the mail thanks to a former F owner, and a JoeZ setup should be on the car by next weekend so ill be performing a host of test when everything gets in.
Old 06-14-12, 05:24 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Awesome cant wait to see your results ! GL with the testing process
Old 06-17-12, 01:35 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Just installed these on my car! The package came with 6 washers, instructions, and the 2 scoops. I had no problems or any issues installing the scoops. Perfect fitment as well!

I have a smoky granite mica ISF with flat black OEM grille and emblem. I got the black scoops and I can barely see them through the OEM grille.

Thanks ISS for the great product!
Old 06-17-12, 09:04 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Just a heads up...I had the takeda installed and my afr dipped down to 10.66 .I have removed the takeda and put back the joez intake. Havent been back to the dyno yet.
Old 06-17-12, 01:16 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

How long has your Takeda been on the car?
Old 06-17-12, 02:23 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

^^^ the takeda was on the car for about 8000 miles. If the scoops in some way improve the afr for the takeda...im in ...but doubt it
Old 06-17-12, 02:31 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Was the reading at WOT?
Old 06-17-12, 02:37 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Yeah at wot on a dyno

Quick Reply: Rmi scoops review