IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rmi scoops review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 01:02 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
So after driving around on one full tank for a week, I'm not impressed. No increase in gas mileage and minimal to no performance gains (that I could feel...waiting for other "real" tests to be done by others on this board). At the very most, it probably does what its supposed to do... bring air into the snorkel that goes directly into the air filter box. I'm just glad I didn't shell out a ton of cash for this "mod".
So the product does what it's suppose to do, redirect more air into the intake.

MPG is hard to gauge since your foot is never consistent. We also don't stand by any MPG savings. It just happen to be that my personal car had an increase on the highway on CC. So if you get better MPG its a bonus.
Old 05-09-12, 01:07 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

If someone can PM me about the grounding issue and what exact size washer you used to solve the problem we will include them in the next batch going out. I didn't have this issue on the 2 local cars I used for R&D so thanks for the the information. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-12, 03:38 PM
ISFSteve
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very much looking forward to mine. Even if the gains are small, in my little mind it just makes good sense to try to get as much fresh air through the system as possible. I have noticed that there are two large holes to either side of the latch area under the hood that I put in a plastic plug to avoid that catching air and directing it into the hood. Again, very very small detail but I felt I wanted to do this. These are not the small drainage holes but are larger than that. I may work a piece of closed foam for around the latch as well. Not saying these will or will not make a difference but figured I would try it when I install the unit.
Old 05-10-12, 06:41 AM
FOVFR421
Rookie

I have had my scoops installed now for about a month, April 18th installation. With this last tank of gas, my 4th since I installed them, I have noticed that it seems easier to keep my MPG up. My long term MPG, since Nov 2011, has averaged 18.5 MPG according to the computer in the vehicle and 18.219 according to my fuel spreadsheet. Over the last fill ups I have recorded the following:

4/18/2012 13461.0 252.0 13.340 18.891
4/24/2012 13675.0 214.0 12.100 17.686
4/29/2012 13928.0 253.0 14.087 17.960
5/6/2012 14187.0 259.0 13.759 18.824

The data points are fill date, mileage, trip mileage, gallons filled, MPG. My commute is a painful N. Va. commute of 19 miles in about 1 hour. That being the case, my MPG is not helped by my daily commute. This tank though, I have been driving the same and I am sitting at 19.9 MPG and it seems to be a bit easier to keep it up. I can’t make a 1 to 1 relationship with the scoops and I know these are not long term results and all conditions do vary. I will continue to watch the trends and see if I find anything more definitive. I am wondering if the ECU has finally adjusted to maximize performance/MPG with the new air intake pressure and temp. I am looking for a way right now to use the OBDII port to get some hard facts on intake temp and pressure to see if I can relate them to the MPG or any power improvements.
Old 05-11-12, 07:08 AM
mikelexF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fitment Factory
If someone can PM me about the grounding issue and what exact size washer you used to solve the problem we will include them in the next batch going out. I didn't have this issue on the 2 local cars I used for R&D so thanks for the the information. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
I fixed the ground issue by grinding some of the powdercoating off the scoop. The bolt covers up the grinded area, so i didn't mind.
Old 05-11-12, 11:02 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

So what's the word on this (post #43)?? It was posted 4 months ago...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ncrease-3.html

"We were thinking of doing the MPG test in a controlled environment on a Mustang dyno. A road trip also has to many variables that will produce numbers that cant be duplicated. We have found a facility in FL that has the proper equipment to do the MPG test i.e. temperature controlled warehouse / mustang dyno / a fan that produces wind speeds that allow this simulation to be accurate. If anyone is asking why a mustang dyno, well the mustang dyno has a cool feature that allows the user to create load based on wind condition. This is key to properly run this kind of test.

Thanks for the info Cleo.

Janoy"
Old 05-11-12, 01:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my snap on solus ultra plugged into my car watching intake temps and you will have to drive the car exactly the same to gain any real input. The intake temps flux so much depending on speed, engine run time and outside temp so much. I think what your looking for will be hard to see. Mass air flow on the other hand should be fairly obvious at wot if it is any different.
Old 05-11-12, 08:05 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitment Factory
Hey guys,

We're going to be performing this type of tests on our shop car as soon as our equipment gets in.

we'll post up the results as we get them.

thanks,
VJ
Let me get this straight, so after reading through pages 1 - 6, I see that a lot of you bought this product knowingly, before ISS even officially tests it themselves for hard numbers? And now you're complain or regret doing it? What’s wrong with this picture???

Thanks for using your $ and testing out the "prototypes," for ISS and adding to the community.

Sarcasm aside, we should all allow ISS to perform their test before rushing to any conclusion. But I still don't know why some of you, who are disappointed now, went out and bought it so early without any real hard facts, in the first place?
Old 05-11-12, 11:15 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelexF
I fixed the ground issue by grinding some of the powdercoating off the scoop. The bolt covers up the grinded area, so i didn't mind.
I also did the same since my horn was barely functional when I just slapped it on.

PurduePete - If you're referring to my comment/review about the product, I'm not complaining and I never said I regretted my purchase. I even said what Fitment Factory said "the product does what it's suppose to do, redirect more air into the intake." I knew exactly what I was getting when I ordered it and I wasn't expecting any night and day difference in gains, I just stated what I experienced after my first tank of driving with it. There aren't many mods for our F so this RMI scoop that ISS developed was worth trying for the price, especially since it helps with air flow.
Old 05-12-12, 01:33 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

^^^ I think most people bought it without hard facts just because of the price reduction (group buy). $100 off is a pretty good deal, but then again, no facts yet.
Old 05-12-12, 03:17 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ they are scoops which direct the airflow to the intake...thats it. No magical tricks, no unicorns. It's a very simple idea and a proven one too.

Stock G37's have a oem ram air system that provides an additional 8hp above certain speeds. Alot of other car manufactures have made these same style scoops and have been successful
Old 05-15-12, 10:29 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PurduePete
Let me get this straight, so after reading through pages 1 - 6, I see that a lot of you bought this product knowingly, before ISS even officially tests it themselves for hard numbers? And now you're complain or regret doing it? What’s wrong with this picture???

Thanks for using your $ and testing out the "prototypes," for ISS and adding to the community.

Sarcasm aside, we should all allow ISS to perform their test before rushing to any conclusion. But I still don't know why some of you, who are disappointed now, went out and bought it so early without any real hard facts, in the first place?
The purpose of the Prototypes being released was for people to put their hands on the product and see what they think. The people that bought the prototypes are helping the community by making sure we didn't miss anything the the grounding issue.

As Coolbeans said. "^ they are scoops which direct the airflow to the intake...thats it. No magical tricks, no unicorns. It's a very simple idea and a proven one too."

People seem to have a negative deposition to things that are new to them or things they don't understand. But this product has been around for a long time. A lot of performance manufactures have made a similar product for other brands with the idea of increasing air flow to the motor. The more air flow a motor has the better it will run. In other words If your car has more air available, it will be a happier car. If anyone expected 50 whp and 300MPG you will be disappointed. But the fact still remains that an engine needs air and the cooler the temp of the air, the more efficient the motor runs.

What we have seen is that after 40MPH the power seems more liner. The throttle is more responsive and its for the plain reason that you are suppling more a HIGHER VOLUME OF AIR to the air box. Nothing more, nothing less.

One last thing. They do look cool as hell behind the grill! And I know of a lot more expensive MODS that we do to our car that don't improve or better the car in any way. This product will at least make your motor happier as you supply more air to it!

Janoy
Old 05-15-12, 10:52 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Makes logical sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-15-12, 05:43 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Conceptually I really like these and am interested. But for people complaining about buying a prototype (or even a finished product) with no actual proven data...that's on you. Even with more air this is a heavy *** car which will always hurt the MPG.

These certainly can't hurt but how much they can help is debatable at this point since we have no data.

But the ctomment about installing them just for looks is kinda weak. Although it is no different than buying a fake "spoiler" off ebay and not caring if it does anything. If you want to do that, go for it. But don't complain when you're not gaining more downforce.
Old 05-15-12, 07:36 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anxiouz
But the ctomment about installing them just for looks is kinda weak. Although it is no different than buying a fake "spoiler" off ebay and not caring if it does anything. If you want to do that, go for it. But don't complain when you're not gaining more downforce.
I think he was saying that they "looked cool" in addition to the proven improvements in other applications (i.e. other cars with similiar mods)
I don't think he was advocating getting them just because they looked cool...

Quick Reply: Rmi scoops review