IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF chasing R8 V10 & Porsche C4S (in rain)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 12:04 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

SSTHO sad to see you not continue tracking your F it was great see you push F showing people what the car was capable of with practice and patience considering the price of the car as well it's multi purpose machine DD commuter car you can pick up the kids from school and get groceries as wellas track this car not bad. Since you have experience with not just the iss but with porches as well I like to get your honest opinion on ISF good points and bad points pertaining to its track capabilities and what is your overall assessment of F when it comes to tracking this car. Reason why I'm asking is there seems to few F owners here on cl that believe the ISF not capable of being a decent car to track these comments usually come from owners with little or no experience tracking car.
Old 05-02-12, 12:56 AM
SSTHO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TYVM Weapon F

The F is unique and understated. It is a great commuter car, grocery getter, and performance car.

Firstly, I WAS one of those people who believe the F had traction issues. And it did - all because of crappy MPS 1 tires (seriously, a 10-year old tire on a new 2010 F as OEM equipment???). MPSS were highly regarded and decided to try them out. All my issues were fixed.

The F as a track car:

PROS
+ predictable, linear acceleration. You are able to improve your precise with inputs.
+ shifting in Sport Mode is super quick and responsive (won't let you do anything to blow the engine)
+ understeering is mild comparing to my expectation; far better than the Aston Martin V8 Vantage

CONS
- car is heavy, does not transition well shifting lateral load
- needs more braking distance than I expected, but not any noticeable fade (good surprise!)
- F struggles with low speed, right turns

OTHER NOTES:
- steering feel is great for a Lexus; feel as connected as I remember when driving an Audi R8
- felt very similar to the current M3 sedan; very small incremental handling advantage to M3, M3 better balanced
- most importantly, the ISF is quite fun to drive on the track as it is possible to get incrementally better with it. There is enough feedback for the driver to improve
- electrical nannies were not super intrusive
- I think I am about as fast in the ISF as a well set-up 997.1 GT3 driven by a club instructor on MPSC tires at this Ridge track I am heading to lately (it rewards high hp / torque cars)

Let me know if there's anything else specific you would like to know. Just some random thoughts.
Old 05-02-12, 07:30 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks Lobux! I need some pro-coaching to take it to the next level. Problem is finding a REAL pro around my area.

Sean - received unexpected good news,... good enough to make me give away my un-used StopTech brake pads!
If you are willing to step out of Vancouver I can honestly suggest the miller speedway racing school in salt lake city.
It is a 3 day school, with the option for a 4th day to gain your NASA certification. I learnt a lot , and was consistently cutting time off of my laps through the weekend.

Plus if you are going to see where your limit is, it's nice to be in someone else's insured car.
Old 05-02-12, 11:08 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
If you are willing to step out of Vancouver I can honestly suggest the miller speedway racing school in salt lake city.
It is a 3 day school, with the option for a 4th day to gain your NASA certification. I learnt a lot , and was consistently cutting time off of my laps through the weekend.

Plus if you are going to see where your limit is, it's nice to be in someone else's insured car.
Yes, there are a lot of great schools and I've attended a few. Can't agree more about testing limits in insured car. Think it might be time to shell out some money to hire a private race coach though to improve throttle steering specific to the 911.
Old 05-02-12, 11:59 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice smooth driving and fun to watch.. thanks for posting it up.

+1 regarding your assessment of the F's pros/cons on the track as well.
Old 05-03-12, 10:11 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

NIce, looks like a fun track. Certainly the appeal of the track is the environment of purely self focused driving, without the distraction of a speed limit. If you were running the PSS on there then you probably had great traction. I think the PS is still a great tire it just has a different balance to it that might not favor a super heavy pedal.

Thanks for the post. I still have our last track day pics and vids to edit and post up and needed a good reminder.
Fig.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 05-04-12, 02:05 PM
SSTHO
Rookie

Cool - would love to see them up. MPS1's are *****. That's being nice.

There is NO REASON to cripple a car like the ISF with them. Brand new 2010 with 10 year old tires at delivery. I should have checked closer as I assumed they were MPS2's at least and that would have sufficed.

Can't wait until my GT3 RS comes in. It'll be a long, painful month!
Old 05-05-12, 10:36 AM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never start a sentence with "ISF chasing_____"
ISF's don't chase. We get chased.