IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20 | 09:55 PM
Jwconeil

How soon after pads and rotors did it begin?

I ask because I did front brakes on my wife’s car, and the next day it started to sound like a wheel bearing was going out and it had some wobble. I chased it down to the brand new autozone rotor not being true. It had some kind of warp. The pads and rotor also oddly glazed, even after bedding them in. I had the rotors milled and put oem pads on, and the issue is gone.

I started chasing the brakes because the sound happened not less than 24 hours after replacing them, so maybe you can start assessing those first by a visual inspection and varied braking. See if any specific action replicates the sound.
Old 01-11-21 | 08:05 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
How soon after pads and rotors did it begin?

I ask because I did front brakes on my wife’s car, and the next day it started to sound like a wheel bearing was going out and it had some wobble. I chased it down to the brand new autozone rotor not being true. It had some kind of warp. The pads and rotor also oddly glazed, even after bedding them in. I had the rotors milled and put oem pads on, and the issue is gone.

I started chasing the brakes because the sound happened not less than 24 hours after replacing them, so maybe you can start assessing those first by a visual inspection and varied braking. See if any specific action replicates the sound.
Honestly I can’t remember well enough to tie the two together from a causation perspective. The easiest way I can reproduce the issue is to gently accelerate between 40 and 60 mph, and then release the accelerator pedal. The sound comes nearly as soon as I let go of the gas. And the sound only stays for a couple seconds. I’m totally baffled.

My sound is not really a “click.” The best way I can describe it is it sounds like some string or wire is caught in the axle.

Last edited by AyAyRon; 01-11-21 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-23-21 | 04:38 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Just wanted to say that I had the same metallic click sound from the driver side axle area, changed both nuts and retorqued. Issue solved, you all are awesome
Old 01-27-21 | 10:46 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Can someone explain the proper procedure for unstaking the old nut and restaking the new one? I bought the nuts yesterday.
Old 01-27-21 | 09:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by AyAyRon
Can someone explain the proper procedure for unstaking the old nut and restaking the new one? I bought the nuts yesterday.
Depends on what tools you have available. If you have a decent impact wrench, don't worry about it, just hit it with the gun and be happy. After installing the new nut, just take a smallish punch (1/8" or 3mm) and hammer the spot above where the groove is to mash the threads into the groove and you're done.

If you don't have a good impact gun, you can use a narrow gouge to lift the mashed in part, or you can grind on the nut with a grinding tool (I once did this with my die grinder and a porting carbide tool I have) where it is staked and remove the stake that way. I found the impact gun to be the most expeditious method by far when I was doing clutch jobs on Scion tCs in 2006.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-27-21 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-28-21 | 06:48 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Depends on what tools you have available. If you have a decent impact wrench, don't worry about it, just hit it with the gun and be happy. After installing the new nut, just take a smallish punch (1/8" or 3mm) and hammer the spot above where the groove is to mash the threads into the groove and you're done.

If you don't have a good impact gun, you can use a narrow gouge to lift the mashed in part, or you can grind on the nut with a grinding tool (I once did this with my die grinder and a porting carbide tool I have) where it is staked and remove the stake that way. I found the impact gun to be the most expeditious method by far when I was doing clutch jobs on Scion tCs in 2006.
Thanks yeah I have all the right tools. Just haven't seen this in person yet so didn't know what I'd be in for.
Old 01-28-21 | 10:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AyAyRon
Thanks yeah I have all the right tools. Just haven't seen this in person yet so didn't know what I'd be in for.
Here's another good visual....

Joe Z

Originally Posted by LSpho

Old 01-29-21 | 05:40 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here's another good visual....

Joe Z
That's perfect, dude. Thank you so much! I am highly suspect that my noise is NOT related to the axle nuts, since it seems to only happen as soon as I release the gas pedal, but this was a cheap first option to try.
Old 01-29-21 | 11:00 AM
Vervish
Racer

I can recreate the click if I place it in gear, hold the brake and lightly press accelerator. Once it loads up it will click..that is how I determined it was coming from the left axle. I replaced bolt and it did not fix the issue for me, the noise is still there occasionally but I do not notice it getting worse or causing and drivability issues. Not sure what the long term affects might be (mine has been noisy for years) - but I suspect none, it's just a little annoying to hear it click occasionally.

Old 08-04-21 | 06:24 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Just got a “performance” alignment from a new shop and immediately noticed this clicking sound when I lifted off the throttle. I thought for sure they failed to properly torque the rear toe links or camber arms. I went back over everything with proper torque specs and the noise is still there. So glad I found this thread! Going to install new axle nuts ASAP. Thanks
Old 08-04-21 | 07:11 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Crazy thought: could it be your sway bar endlinks being worn? Were they ever replaced?
Old 08-04-21 | 01:11 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by FilwithanF
Crazy thought: could it be your sway bar endlinks being worn? Were they ever replaced?
In my case, no. I recently did a full suspension overhaul. Car is completely dialed and drives amazing….just that clicking immediately after the alignment.