IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake decision - and hello to all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 11:20 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Icode is silicone hence the price. Why can't they use good ol' polyethylene or PVC or whatever generic automotive plastic. I guess not many places have vacuum forming equipment or however they make the stuff... but why not send schematics to a plant in China and have them whip out 1000 of these things at $2.75 each and sell them for $50? (lol)

Last edited by IceIridium; 05-07-12 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 06:55 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If looks don't matter, my advice would be to stay stock on the intake. Also, the first time you need to change the air filter, consider a washable one to save money in the future. I use the AFE Pro Dry. I didn't notice any power gains or gas mileage improvements, but I do save money when I can just clean it instead of buying a new one. On mine, I have the JoeZ blue intake which I bought mainly for looks. But it is proven to add 5 horsepower on the dyno. And Joe Z says it will not produce heat soak because the air is not there long enough to get heated before it enters the engine.
Old 05-08-12, 08:23 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PrezJay
^^ICODE makes one but the price is more than double the Joe Z... now if somebody could make it for half the cost we'd probably see a bunch of customers for it
Originally Posted by IceIridium
Newb intake question: If heat soak is a potential risk with the Joe Z intake due to it being made of metal, why isn't there one made of the same design as the Joe Z but in the same material as the stock intake? i.e. plastic.
Icode is silicone hence the price. Why can't they use good ol' polyethylene or PVC or whatever generic automotive plastic. I guess not many places have vacuum forming equipment or however they make the stuff... but why not send schematics to a plant in China and have them whip out 1000 of these things at $2.75 each and sell them for $50? (lol)
Actually if you look at the price for the right angle silicone it only cost less then $100 dollars. The reason for the mark up is because of the name ICODE. I emailed HPS silicone a couple months ago to see if they are developing a cheaper solution for us but its still in testing phase I believe. Hopefully they can provide a solution...

To the OP stay stock or get the Joe Z is my recommendation....
Old 05-08-12, 08:24 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would agree with DCoolBeans...
Joe Z or iCode intake if you don't want to stick with the stock one with AFE dry filter.
As mentioned above the iCode intake has the advantage of not being susceptible to heat soak but cost more.

My setup is AFE filter, iCode intake and waiting for PPE headers with Borla exhaust.
Headers and exhaust are a matter of preference.
I decided on PPE headers which are being offered as a group buy right now through FIGS because of the build quality.
I also decided on the Borla exhaust because I don't want anything louder and as a bonus it is priced low.
Old 05-08-12, 08:25 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Newb intake question: If heat soak is a potential risk with the Joe Z intake due to it being made of metal, why isn't there one made of the same design as the Joe Z but in the same material as the stock intake? i.e. plastic.
I started a thread about this last year. I wish they would

Originally Posted by PrezJay
^^ICODE makes one but the price is more than double the Joe Z... now if somebody could make it for half the cost we'd probably see a bunch of customers for it
I'd be on it

Make it happen....you can call your elbow Ice Intake
Old 05-08-12, 08:26 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCB
I would agree with DCoolBeans...
Joe Z or iCode intake if you don't want to stick with the stock one with AFE dry filter.
As mentioned above the iCode intake has the advantage of not being susceptible to heat soak but cost more.

My setup is AFE filter, iCode intake and waiting for PPE headers with Borla exhaust.
Headers and exhaust are a matter of preference.
I decided on PPE headers which are being offered as a group buy right now through FIGS because of the build quality.
I also decided on the Borla exhaust because I don't want anything louder and as a bonus it is priced low.
did you have to modify the icode intake? a friend of mine who actually bought one had to actually mod the inside as it was filled up with some type of gummy substance so he had to smooth down the inside.
Old 05-08-12, 08:37 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

You guys running the AFE drop in intakes just some info. The dry filter flows almost identical cfm's with the oem filter. I went with their pre oiled set up as it flows 3/4 over the oem filter.

Some people have complained the oil fouled up their maf's but its their fault as they do not know hot to oil it properly. They sell the oil in a aerosol can so re oiling won't be a hassle

Old 05-08-12, 09:39 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got off the phone with the guys over at Carson Toyota (l-tunedparts.com) and they have the Joe Z intake for $140 and the aFe Dry drop-in filter for $60 (both in stock). I think I'll drive down there this weekend and purchase this setup. The polished blue is nice looking which is an added bonus. Im also getting my hood, fenders, fr. bumper, mirrors, and door handles wrapped with clear protectant film on friday, it's gonna be a busy week! The guys at Clear Pro in Murrieta, CA are doing the work, http://www.clear-pro.com/ They wrapped my roommate's Ford Raptor and my neighbor's GT-R, both came out really clean. Thanks for all the help with the intake questions... I will post some pics after the weekend.

Gil
Old 05-08-12, 07:52 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Just sharing my experience... I've been driving an ISF long enough to know a few things about it. I've gone through many air filters: OEM, then K&N, then back to OEM, then aFe dry, then back to OEM again.

I had problems with my MAF caused by the K&N oiled filter (I wasn't alone here), cleaning the MAF and going back to OEM was the solution. Then I decided to give the aFe dry filter a try... after thousands of miles I noticed that it didn't get as dirty as the OEM filter did, so my logic told me that the OEM filter does a better job at keeping the incoming air clean.

Performance-wise you won't see a difference so I'll just stick to the OEM filter, it has plenty more ripples than aFe which means more surface area, better filtering job.
Old 05-08-12, 07:57 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
did you have to modify the icode intake? a friend of mine who actually bought one had to actually mod the inside as it was filled up with some type of gummy substance so he had to smooth down the inside.
I actually got mine with my car. The previous owner had installed it. I did however remove it to try the Takada and stock intakes at the Dyno. It's off the car now and looks clean and doesn't appear to have been touched on the inside.
Old 05-08-12, 09:41 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

i searched but couldnt find any info on this question... has anyone logged their WOT runs in regards to intake air temp ? stock, takeda, joez,etc.... i have takeda and at wot im around 70 deg f. im curious to see other peoples temps.
Old 05-09-12, 08:27 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amgone75
i searched but couldnt find any info on this question... has anyone logged their WOT runs in regards to intake air temp ? stock, takeda, joez,etc.... i have takeda and at wot im around 70 deg f. im curious to see other peoples temps.
That would be directly effected by ambient ain't temp. so it wouldn't be easy to get a good comparison. If you wanted to do this you would have to install each intake B2B on a Dyno and the ECT and ambient air temp would have to be the same for each run.
Old 05-09-12, 09:29 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the new car!

For the intake system we highly recommend the Takeda intake system for the car, we use it on our shop car and it has proven itself time and time again as push our car in the Standing Mile runs and also the ISS Forged RMI Intake Scoops

for the exhaust system there are 2 routes that you can go

- If you'd like to keep the OEM tips then look into the Borla or the JoeZ

- If you'd like real tips and a "wife approved" exhaust system take a look into the ISS Forged DES exhaust system

-If you'd like a full track exhaust take a look at the ISS Forged QES exhaust system

heres what it looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/issforged/5288647488/http://www.flickr.com/photos/issforged/5288647488/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/issforged/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/issforged/7119885493/http://www.flickr.com/photos/issforged/7119885493/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/issforged/, on Flickr
Old 05-09-12, 10:01 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

by any chance did you buy your F from NJ? Do you know Mikefate? I believe you purchase his car, which should have ISSForge Exhaust, BC Forge Wheels...etc etc. If you did, nice pickup and he was the one who had to smooth out the inside of the ICODE intake.
Old 05-09-12, 11:41 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitment Factory
Congratulations on the new car!

For the intake system we highly recommend the Takeda intake system for the car, we use it on our shop car and it has proven itself time and time again as push our car in the Standing Mile runs and also the ISS Forged RMI Intake Scoops
where are the intake scoops mounted?? anyone have pics with them installed?? and are they designed solely for more/better air flow??

Last edited by 2ndGF; 05-09-12 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Intake decision - and hello to all!