IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake decision - and hello to all!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 12:06 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Works fine for me. When the weather gets better ill post up the before and after IAT information.
Old 05-09-12, 12:07 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
where are the intake scoops mounted?? anyone have pics with them installed?? and are they designed solely for more/better air flow??
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ps-review.html
Old 05-09-12, 05:12 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
by any chance did you buy your F from NJ? Do you know Mikefate? I believe you purchase his car, which should have ISSForge Exhaust, BC Forge Wheels...etc etc. If you did, nice pickup and he was the one who had to smooth out the inside of the ICODE intake.
Yep, I have Mikes car. I didn't get the exhaust from him, he had already removed it.
I actaully like the stock tips anyway. He gave me the iCode intake with the car and I bought the wheels from him.
I was just in my shop and took a look at the intake and couldn't notice anything. I'll have to ask him about that next time I talk to him.
Mikes a good guy and he took great care of this car. I'm really happy with my purchase.
Old 05-10-12, 08:32 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
I bought my new IS F last month after trading in my G35 w/ 196,000 miles on it!!! The guys over at Stillen in Orange County were awesome and helped with a ton of tuning and mods. However, I am new to the community here so I guess I will start by saying hello to everyone So of course the first mod I want to do on my new F, performance wise for that matter, is an 1. intake 2. exhaust 3. headers. So I am coming to the experts, "the forum"! I've been doing my research and have looked at Joe Z, K&N, Injen and so forth. So here's the dilemma in this thread by FIGS...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...fe-takeda.html

...the conclusion was that the stock intake proved to be the best over Injen and Takeda back in 2010/2011. I would not feel right sacrificing looks/sound over gains by switching intakes. So the major questions are:

1. Have there been any different conclusions on which intake provides the best gains?
2. Which intakes should we definitely stay away from?

I know "the best" will always be an "IMO" answer, but what would the top 2 intakes be? Im not worried about looks in the engine bay, however a deeper sound across the power band would be nice without a power sacrifice. All comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

And once again, nice to meet you all!

Gil
SoCal
Here is a link to a tested Cold Air Intake by K&N. http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ir-intake.aspx
Old 05-10-12, 08:47 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ You can NOT take that article seriously, unless you're sponsored by K&N.

First of all, how can they get a baseline dyno so low??? It's around 50WHP lower than the average! Also they say that disabling the second stage intake is a popular mod... where??? This "popular" mod prove to be a mistake, slowing me down the drag strip. Yes, it'll add noise which may fool you into thiking that you're going faster, but it's the opposite. Besides K&N never got back to us (I think it was Mike/Figs) when we offered an independent intake test.
Old 05-10-12, 09:01 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
^^^ You can NOT take that article seriously, unless you're sponsored by K&N.

First of all, how can they get a baseline dyno so low??? It's around 50WHP lower than the average! Also they say that disabling the second stage intake is a popular mod... where??? This "popular" mod prove to be a mistake, slowing me down the drag strip. Yes, it'll add noise which may fool you into thiking that you're going faster, but it's the opposite. Besides K&N never got back to us (I think it was Mike/Figs) when we offered an independent intake test.
In that article they do mention that the dyno they used gives lower numbers due to the design of that dyno ( about 10% lower) which does in fact add up. I will try to research there number and give them a call to find out if they are affiliated with K&N.
Old 05-10-12, 09:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ They are NOT affiliated.. It was indeed an independent test...

Just like the testing they did on our Full Exhaust system... Which they flat out purchased from us...

Project Lexus IS-F Part 2: We test the PTS - Joe Z Series Exhaust

~ Joe Z
Old 05-10-12, 10:38 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ They are NOT affiliated.. It was indeed an independent test...

Just like the testing they did on our Full Exhaust system... Which they flat out purchased from us...

Project Lexus IS-F Part 2: We test the PTS - Joe Z Series Exhaust

~ Joe Z
Thank you for your insight
Old 05-10-12, 11:37 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, they're not affiliated.

This is from the article:

We made all of our runs with the hood up in 3rd gear, both baseline and with the air intake. For baseline runs, we warmed the car up with the hood closed.
I believe when comparing intakes you must dyno with the hood closed, that way open element intakes won't see a benefit during the dyno that won't see in real life. Even worse, let them idle for a while and then do the dyno (again without opening the hood).

And from my previous comment, it wasn't Mike/Figs, it was Darshana/Supraman16:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-flap-mod.html
Old 05-10-12, 11:08 PM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by Juanca
Yes, they're not affiliated.

This is from the article:

I believe when comparing intakes you must dyno with the hood closed, that way open element intakes won't see a benefit during the dyno that won't see in real life. Even worse, let them idle for a while and then do the dyno (again without opening the hood).

And from my previous comment, it wasn't Mike/Figs, it was Darshana/Supraman16:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-flap-mod.html
ok............
Old 05-11-12, 09:47 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

^^^^^ Should I remove my intake and go back to stock? I just had some SIKKY headers installed and would like to have a full benefit from the install...
Old 05-11-12, 01:15 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx

Works fine for me. When the weather gets better ill post up the before and after IAT information.
I have been planning on doing this to my intake... What brand and type of heat tape/wrap did you use?
Old 05-12-12, 12:22 PM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by darbs242
I have been planning on doing this to my intake... What brand and type of heat tape/wrap did you use?
I just wrapped mine, and sealed/protected the area around the filter. I ran the car for about 20 minutes and there is a definite difference to the touch. Also the filter area was cooler than the rest of the engine bay. That radiant tape works pretty darn good!!! Thanks for the idea MR SLAY.
Old 05-12-12, 12:42 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^ what brand did you find
Old 05-12-12, 06:53 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darbs242
Product I used is very similar to this one. Its from the same company...

Quick Reply: Intake decision - and hello to all!