Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Oh i can really really go
Old 06-05-12, 08:02 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Oh i can really really go
never said you couldn't go...just said the rear diffuser doesn't add anything to your go...if anything it just adds weight...but it looks good so i guess it's ok.
Old 06-05-12, 10:16 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Just go. $100 says the driver is the bottleneck . . . not the suspension.

Then how do you explain the full Tom's kit.
Maybe the driver is the bottleneck. Proper suspension set up for me is important. I don't want to waste my tires on the track on a stock suspension. Also having camber issues. It suppose to be better grip on the turns, but it will eat your inside tire quick. I never run any car on a track yet only bikes. I have all my bike suspension properly setup for me. Everyone can run fast on the straight, but when I comes in the turn. Well see.
Old 06-05-12, 11:02 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Suspension does make a difference though....Although I know that Brian (Apexsports) is a much better driver than I am, there were turns that I just couldn't take as fast, because the car did not feel as planted and I believe it wasn't my driving ability, but rather the confidence that the car would give me. When I was following Brian when he and my friend in a WRX STi took off, I could see his car was much more stable as he entered turns faster than I did, but he's running KW V3s and the Sikky RSB, wider tires, wider stance, etc.
Oh I'm sure it makes a difference. And I can totally understand wanting to adjust the alignment to get more even tire wear. That's something I want to look into before my next track day.

However, if the purpose of a track day is to have fun and learn how to drive the car at the limit, coilovers are unnecessary IMO. All you're doing by adding coilovers, super sticky tires, etc is increasing the car's limit which makes that limit harder to approach, more dangerous (higher speeds), and generally increases the learning curve.

... but of course if you're #1 focus is lap times, bragging rights, and looking cool then by all means drop the $$ on mods. Hey, somebody's gotta rock sexy F's, right?

That being said, I'm upgrading my tires once I wear out my OEM's
Old 06-05-12, 11:18 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LBmtb
Oh I'm sure it makes a difference. And I can totally understand wanting to adjust the alignment to get more even tire wear. That's something I want to look into before my next track day.

However, if the purpose of a track day is to have fun and learn how to drive the car at the limit, coilovers are unnecessary IMO. All you're doing by adding coilovers, super sticky tires, etc is increasing the car's limit which makes that limit harder to approach, more dangerous (higher speeds), and generally increases the learning curve.

... but of course if you're #1 focus is lap times, bragging rights, and looking cool then by all means drop the $$ on mods. Hey, somebody's gotta rock sexy F's, right?

That being said, I'm upgrading my tires once I wear out my OEM's
I dont think coilovers make the my car look sexy with stock wheels and tires. You cant even see it if theres coilovers on the car. I dont have to do anything to make my car look cool. Driving and F looks cool already. lol. On the track is all about lap times and having fun. Its were you can push your car and also being safe. Trackdays always start in having fun and becomes a competition.
Old 06-05-12, 11:27 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Haha good points. That friendly competition is what makes it fun and exciting. Some dude with a TTRS and I were back and forth all day. Nice guy though.
Old 06-05-12, 01:02 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed...summer is starting and it's gonna be way too hot. I'm down for some K1 karting though... And yes, I was hitting 5 bars with AC on.

Suspension does make a difference though....Although I know that Brian (Apexsports) is a much better driver than I am, there were turns that I just couldn't take as fast, because the car did not feel as planted and I believe it wasn't my driving ability, but rather the confidence that the car would give me. When I was following Brian when he and my friend in a WRX STi took off, I could see his car was much more stable as he entered turns faster than I did, but he's running KW V3s and the Sikky RSB, wider tires, wider stance, etc.

But I also agree with you that if you put two identical cars with different drivers, it will come up to the driver... But did Brian do his mods because he felt he was the bottleneck? I think not....

No wind tunnel testing...that diffuser is all show no go. Have you seen big a real diffuser is?

Plus there's so many other elements that must go under the car to to channel the air from the front diffuser through the underbody components, then out the back at a specific velocity to generate negative pressure.

Maybe we should go ahead and setup our next canyon/street drive (Dana Point run still happening?) or somewhere along the coast where temps are lower until we do Willow at the end of summer? Temps in Rosamond are ridiculously high in the summer months.

If we keep this thread bumped through the summer we'll hopefully be able to get closer to 20 F's together for the track day.

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Maybe the driver is the bottleneck. Proper suspension set up for me is important. I don't want to waste my tires on the track on a stock suspension. Also having camber issues. It suppose to be better grip on the turns, but it will eat your inside tire quick. I never run any car on a track yet only bikes. I have all my bike suspension properly setup for me. Everyone can run fast on the straight, but when I comes in the turn. Well see.
What track were you spending time on with your bike?

Last edited by Apexsports; 06-05-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 01:37 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

What track were you spending time on with your bike?[/QUOTE]

Buttonwillow and Pahrump. Always want to go to CVR, but my bike didnt make it. It got stolen only 1600 mile with two track days. I miss it, but I'm safer on the car. I mean my other half don't want me to get a bike. Have a baby on the way. So I got the F.
Old 06-05-12, 04:11 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

We can always go to K1 Speed for some Go Karting
Old 06-05-12, 04:13 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Apexsports
Maybe we should go ahead and setup our next canyon/street drive (Dana Point run still happening?) or somewhere along the coast where temps are lower until we do Willow at the end of summer? Temps in Rosamond are ridiculously high in the summer months.
I enjoyed the time we were on the 405 freeway heading up to Santa Monica last time...cruising around the freeways with a bunch of IS Fs is
Old 06-05-12, 06:22 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Buttonwillow and Pahrump. Always want to go to CVR, but my bike didnt make it. It got stolen only 1600 mile with two track days. I miss it, but I'm safer on the car. I mean my other half don't want me to get a bike. Have a baby on the way. So I got the F.
Very cool...you'll love CVR with a bike or your F. It's got a really fun flow.

Sorry to hear about your bike getting ripped off. 6-7 yrs ago I was in the hospital for two weeks and had both of my bikes at the time parked in my condo, as I thought it would be more secure than my garage. Long story short, when I got out of the hospital both bikes were stolen including all of my track gear and basically everything I owned of value.

F'n thieves

We can always go to K1 Speed for some Go Karting
I enjoyed the time we were on the 405 freeway heading up to Santa Monica last time...cruising around the freeways with a bunch of IS Fs is
I'm up for karting for sure.

The highlight for me besides the canyons was when we went through those tunnels. The sound of all of us stomping on it was priceless lol.