IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 09:16 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alignment question

It seems my 08 F with 31k miles is slightly pulling to the right. I also notice steering wheel seems to tilt to the right a little bit. I asked mechanic at alignment shop his opinion and he said the F model can't be aligned. He checked all tires and said they are wearing evenly and it's probably just the roads I am driving on. Gonna stop by Lexus tomorrow and see what they say but I thought I would seek opinions here first. Is this mechanic correct that car can't be alligned?
Old 05-09-12, 06:05 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been tons of people's ISF that drift to the right your lexus dealership should be very aware of the problem.
Old 05-09-12, 06:57 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but to answer your question... YES it can be aligned!
Old 05-09-12, 07:09 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mechanic's statement of "can't be aligned" should've been
"I have no idea how to align your car".
Old 05-09-12, 07:16 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That dealer is wrong on so many counts, there are multiple ways to fix the alignment.

Read this thread I started a few months ago... it contains all necessary info to fix the pull. I've decided to hold off on mine since the pull is minimal (but still evident). Not worth shelling out half a grand just to get it to go perfectly straight.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html
Old 05-09-12, 09:49 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

did your car just start to pull to the right? how long have you had the car? that mechanic is a moron.
Old 05-09-12, 09:56 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zapa
There have been tons of people's ISF that drift to the right your lexus dealership should be very aware of the problem.
Oh not my dealership. They didn't have a clue. I even talked to the shop foreman and when I told him the subframe on an F can be adjusted he politely informed me that "I" didn't know what I was talking about and walked away. What you wanna bet he doesnt even know what a caster bracket is...
Old 05-09-12, 10:02 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, i am at my local Lexus dealer in Tampa now, they are checking out the car and seeing what needs to be done, Lexus dealer i got car from in Indiana says they will cover any allignment costs incurred because car was purchased certified from them, will see what Tampa dealer says
Old 05-09-12, 10:04 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^make sure to get the alignment printout. this is how we can help u.
Old 05-09-12, 11:04 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman
the mechanic's statement of "can't be aligned" should've been
"i have no idea how to align your car".
+1938472957
Old 05-09-12, 11:23 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

It's the typical caster problem a lot of u guys are having or had trouble with. Lexus in Tampa has to order parts, they will be in by Friday and the Lexus place in Indy is covering all costs. Amazing a car this expensive would have so many people having same issue. Lexus in Tampa did not try and tell me it was a tire or road issue, they were very straightforward and honest, they even have service dept open on Sunday. Thanks to all members who helped me out
Old 05-09-12, 12:09 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Do you have an order sheet? I'd like to know what they are replacing as mine still drifts to the right.
Old 05-09-12, 12:23 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Do you have an order sheet? I'd like to know what they are replacing as mine still drifts to the right.
Chances are it will be one of the parts from this list (disregard the circled blue, those are for me)... after the dealer aligns it they will determine how to adjust the caster, and will order the respective brackets:

To my understanding it is NOT covered under factory warranty, i guess Mrd916 got a break since he bought his car certified. Danny if you end up getting them replaced under factory warranty I'll let my dealer know so I can get mine replaced too.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-09-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 12:31 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a long response, but it was accidentally erased.

In short: the caster brackets might not fix the problem. It didn't for my car. If it doesn't work, subframe needs to be shifted ~1-2 mm to even out caster and camber left to right on the car. That is what mine took.
Old 05-09-12, 12:35 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
I had a long response, but it was accidentally erased.

In short: the caster brackets might not fix the problem. It didn't for my car. If it doesn't work, subframe needs to be shifted ~1-2 mm to even out caster and camber left to right on the car. That is what mine took.
that is correct without a printout we can't really tell u what is wrong. it might just be your subframe that needs to be adjusted...I keep on telling VJ this to get the printout so we can see if it was actually his subframe or caster bracket. lol So VJ u might not need the brackets and also if you go to some dealership they are not experienced with adjusting the subframe so they might not do it. Your best shot would be to go to a professional alignment shop that does alignments by hand, they should be able to adjust the subframe. VJ i had a discussion with Tom at our dealership that we go to and they won't adjust the subframe so its best u go somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Alignment question