IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clear auto bra installed on F w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 04:55 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear auto bra installed on F w/pics

Hey guys I got the F wrapped this weekend with a clear auto bra. I wound up getting full hood, full fenders, front bumper, mirrors, headlights, and all four door handles. I had it done in Murrieta, CA at Clear Pro. My roommate had his Ford Raptor done with a vinyl 'Expel Stealth Black" and my neighbor had his GT-R done by these guys. After seeing the work on both of their vehicles I decided to use them. They charged me $1300 to have it done, but if I would have gone half hood and half fenders it would have been $650. They threw in a bottle on the Expel film protectant sealant as well which was cool of them. Below are some of the pics during installation, tomorrow I will put the close-ups of the edges. I had them wrap around the edges so you can't see any lines. Let me know your guys thoughts on this.

Old 05-13-12, 05:13 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good, I love the clear bras
Old 05-13-12, 05:33 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, looks great. I've never seen full hood/ fender. Sounds like it would be nicer then having the line across the hood.
What did they cover on the fender? I'm asking because technically half of our fender is covered by the side skirt.
Old 05-13-12, 06:10 PM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks really good.. can you see any different from whats clear bra and whats not..?
Old 05-13-12, 06:34 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCB
Wow, looks great. I've never seen full hood/ fender. Sounds like it would be nicer then having the line across the hood.
What did they cover on the fender? I'm asking because technically half of our fender is covered by the side skirt.
The reason I paid the extra money was because I didn't want to see the line acroos the hood or fenders, plus the extra protection definitely wont hurt. The way they did the fender was pretty cool. It was lazer cut perfectly around the F emblem and they wrapped a partial part of the sideskirt down to where the fender would naturally form. I'm not sure if you can visualize the way I'm explaing it, but it really was "full fender" which included the side skirt and they cut it when the door hinge would be.

Originally Posted by obby
looks really good.. can you see any different from whats clear bra and whats not..?
They wrapped the clear bra around the edges where ever it was possible so in those sections you can't tell anything is on top of the paint. The parts where they couldn't wrap the edges came out really good, so unless you are specifically looking for the bra you wouldn't even know it was there. They said with taking care of the film properly it will last for 5 years without any discoloration. I guess I will find out in 5 years if that's true or not!

I will post more pics tomorrow of the edges to show you guys how it came out.

Gil
Old 05-13-12, 08:21 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet, im thinking of getting a clear bra after ordering a new bumper. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-14-12, 06:20 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The install looks really clean. I have my 2012 scheduled to go in next month to have the full hood, front fenders, front bumper, rocker panels, mirrors and the rear fender splash areas done. I wanted to get the clear bra done sooner, but the only custom installer I trust stays pretty booked up. Hopefully, I won't get any serious paint chips in the next few weeks.
Old 05-14-12, 06:50 AM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, will this material yellow after constant sun exposure? Or if it is ever removed will a contrast between the areas once covered and never covered show? I want to get this done but I'm afraid of having issues down the road..
Old 05-14-12, 08:36 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know if this yellows. I have had different brands installed, and all of them were noticeably yellow to me after a while. This seems to really show on SFP. Let us know how it holds up.
Old 05-14-12, 11:11 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

If I would've bought my F brand new, I would've done the same. My car has rock chips here and there just from daily driving the thing :/
Old 05-14-12, 12:22 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RLGS300
Out of curiosity, will this material yellow after constant sun exposure? Or if it is ever removed will a contrast between the areas once covered and never covered show? I want to get this done but I'm afraid of having issues down the road..
The yellowing problem, from what I've been told, is unavoidable; however, the longevity of the film not yellowing can be diminished by using a "film protectant sealant". They gave me a bottle of Xpel which is the brand of sealant they use and they told me to apply it once every 6 months. I really don't want to take any chances so I will be a little more liberal in the amount of times I apply the sealant. The only contrast between areas covered and not covered will be that the covered areas will look brand new. If you take care of the rest of the paint and body of your car, the difference should be minimal. I was hesitant on my last car of putting on a clear bra, but seeing what my G35's front end looked like after 196,000 miles, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to get this done on the F as soon as possible!

Originally Posted by fleadog99
Let us know if this yellows. I have had different brands installed, and all of them were noticeably yellow to me after a while. This seems to really show on SFP. Let us know how it holds up.
I will keep you guys posted on any problems that arise down the road. My neighbor had his obsidian GT-R done with a full wrap as well by the same company, so if he encounters any problems I will let you know as well.