IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New to the IS-F but not lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 10:53 AM
bignicky1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the IS-F but not lexus

Hey guys! My name is Nick and ive been looking into a nice daily driver with some power. So over all would you guys recommend picking a ISF for a DD ? My mom drives a is250 and i love driving that thing but i want some more power. So ive been looking at some 2008 and 09 ISF, is there anything specific i should be looking out for as far as problems with those years and what do you guys think is a far price for a lower mileages one?

Thanks,

Nicholas
Old 05-16-12, 11:26 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Nick, you'll be very happy with the IS-F. I'd suggest you do a test drive first. As far as pricing goes, they'll vary depending on the mileage, condition and the year. Check out KBB as a reference. They're usually around low to mid $40K range if you're looking for a clean, low mileage car.

There're no major issues with the car besides the regular maintenance. The only thing I can think of is that some of the Fs has experienced water pump leaking issue. You're more than likely to be under warranty, so it can be taken care of by the dealer.

Good luck with your search.

Terrance
Old 05-16-12, 11:30 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at cars.com and do a nationwide search if you don't find any close by... you need to be patient to find one with low mileage. Narrow your choices down and post back, we'll help you out.

As far as being a DD, it is an excellent choice. My favorite part of the F is that it's an auto but also a Manual when you want it to be just by slapping the stick over. When driving it hard in Sport + M mode shifts are quick and crisp. My F isn't my DD but wish it was! I'm too paranoid to drive it everywhere so that's why I still have my 98 integra to tool around in. The ISF attracts a lot of attention. For what it's worth, I drove to MD and back for a car meet in one day (that's nearly 7 hours of total driving time) with no comfort issues...it was a blast.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-16-12, 11:45 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

IF u like the F u gonna love Lexus
Old 05-16-12, 11:49 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no concern besides the water pump replacement and subframe adjustments and caster brackets. Nothing is wrong with the subframe and the casters but some members are experiencing a pulling to the right while driving and those are the cause, they just need to be adjusted and realign the car. Everything is normal. To me its the perfect vehicle to blend in as a DD and a track car, a dual personality.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 05-16-12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 12:01 PM
bignicky1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the quick responses! And i wish i could have another DD but i drive alot for my work so i like to drive in comfort with some power.
Old 05-16-12, 04:10 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u can, u should buy a certified pre-owned F. I just got mine a few weeks ago from a different state than i live in and bought it sight unseen. I was worried about chips and dings but Lexus fully reconditions all CPO cars and my car is absolutely mint and has 100k mile warranty. To give u an idea about the price of these cars, mine is an 08 with 30k miles and i paid $41k for it. It wasn't the cheapest one i found but didn't mind paying a little more for the full warranty peace of mind. Mine did have the slight pull to the right but being under certified warranty it was fixed for free and i got free loaner car
Old 05-16-12, 05:21 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

buy a 2009, a few issues with 2008s. Engine knock from bad valve springs, shaky rear view mirror, leaking water pump, car drifts to right (sub-frame alignment issue, in later years too), dash separating from center stack at top of air vents above navigation, brake squeal (fixed with updated pad compound).

It's a great car to drive everyday.
Old 05-16-12, 07:43 PM
Djtexan
Rookie

My 2008 has new continental dw mounted, had a full alignment balance done. Merchant tire gave me a printout, said back tires were way out of wack. Corrected, now a few weeks later I notice slight pull on highways, and steering wheel is pointing to the right. Problem, Lexus should fix?