IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Am I crazy????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 05:50 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
EDIT: BTW...are you asian? WTF...asian in a Mustang?

I always wanted to be the 1st Asian driving a jeep wrangler.... and then I changed my mind.
Old 05-18-12, 07:13 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
:I just wished my rear seats would fold down:
+1 Though i don't think i would ever want to transport anything in my car...but it would be nice if the seats did fold down!
Old 05-18-12, 07:44 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
American Muscle V8's sure are fun! Gobs of torque down low.

The 5.0 Coyote motor is wonderful and Ford did a hell of a job on it. (Even though the 6spd transmissions are made in China and are always breaking)

You will have to understand that (am I'm sure you do) the IS-F and Mustang GT are different type of cars. Out of the box the IS-F is a 4 door that is set up for the race track, while the GT is a pony car. I could see you cross shopping the IS-F with an M3 or possibly an S4. (I still don't get why people here cross shop GT-R's with our car)

If you are trading the IS-F straight up for the GT, I would say double think your decision. However if it will be a secondary car, then go for it! Life is too short to just be stuck with one car. Experience them all!
Summed up well.

They are a ton of bang for your buck, Im blown away that mid level mustangs are this fast/powerful now. My buddy just picked up on last week, he got the competition package or something like that. Def a nice car, not nearly as refined as the F though. Hes loving it. I havent driven it yet, hopefully he will let me soon! Then I'll report back.
Old 05-18-12, 07:53 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The point of gettin another car is to upgrade...to me the GT is not an upgrade...however the GT 500 is!!! If you are looking at a Mustang I say get the GT 500!!!

What is wrong with Asians driving a mustang? My cousin drives a mustang and it suits his personality...lol...I think it was made for him...
Old 05-18-12, 08:10 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I havent driven it yet, hopefully he will let me soon! Then I'll report back.
Better yet, you should race him and let us know how that was
Old 05-18-12, 08:10 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

If it were mine, no I wouldn't trade the IS-F in on a GT. It would be different if it were a '13+ GT500. But, at the end of the day, it's your car and your decision so do what makes you most happy.
Old 05-18-12, 08:25 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because the numbers are bigger, that doesn't always mean better. American cars are well known for being extremely inefficient. Also the weight is always an issue. How many times have some of us, blew away a car that had better numbers? It wasn't always the driver either.

*Disclaimer*
I have never owned an American car, but only raced them. LOL!
Old 05-18-12, 08:25 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the price of a brand new 2013 Mustang GT there are so many other cars out there I would get. If you're only into speed in a straight line, I'd go with it. Even the new American muscle cars I've been in have ridiculous wheelspin and excessive body roll.

But Fords just don't come close to other brands (the Audis, BMWs, etc) when it comes to luxury. GT500 or not, they are too common. If I'm spending that kind of money I want a diamond in the rough that combines luxury, speed, convenience, etc. That's what the ISF is, IMO.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 05-18-12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 09:14 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadog99
Just because the numbers are bigger, that doesn't always mean better. American cars are well known for being extremely inefficient. Also the weight is always an issue. How many times have some of us, blew away a car that had better numbers? It wasn't always the driver either.
This is also very true. (Except the inefficent part. I have never heard that)

Gearing and Weight have much to do with where and how the car makes and puts down power.
Old 05-18-12, 10:07 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

when i was 16, i test drove the mustang GT 5.0 w/ 225 horses and wanted it so bad! haha i'm korean but born and raised in cali, so, i've always loved big american muscle.

i also thought about a new mustang when i was getting frustrated trying to find my isf, but just couldn't overlook the poor interior and other luxury amenities a lexus provides over a ford. anyway, now that i have my F, wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Old 05-18-12, 04:44 PM
jchong
Driver

.... Thank you all for confirming lol

And I'm not Asian :0... JCHONG is the girlfriend.... No its not her car either lol
Old 05-18-12, 06:39 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Currently own a 2012 Mustang GT auto trans (1 year) and 2008 ISF for the past 3 years. Both stock.
Here's my quick comparison of both:

ISF advantages:
- Feels more refined in all driving dynamics, On the road, during aggressive driving, and cornering.
- Handles midcorner bumps with ease, rear end doesn't "skip-out" at all.
- Transmission logic is far above the logic in the auto trans in the Mustang.
- Average mpg is 19.5. Sustained hwy mpg is 27mpg.

ISF disadvantages:
- Suspension on the 08 is bone jarring for a luxury sedan. I know 2011/12 models fixed this.
- .....that's pretty much it.....

Mustang advantages:
- Noticeable amounts of low end torque compared to the ISF. 60mph can be reached briskly without surpassing 2300rpm.
- Highway acceleration (not racing) in top gear does not need a downshift.
- Suspension is more comfortable over roads overall, thus when going full throttle, power is put down better than the ISF.
- Smooth roads with no midcorner bumps, cornering speeds are the same despite the softer suspension.
- Straight line acceleration below 80mph is slightly quicker than the ISF.
- Stock exhaust and engine sounds better than the ISF (subjective opinion)

Mustang disadvantages:
- Softly spring or damped suspension, body wallows a little over bumps and dips. Not as bad as a Camry or Accord, but noticeable. Probably soft springs and firmly damped.
- Lack of steering feel compared to the ISF. Difficult to described, it's accurate and quick but isolated feel from the road.
- Radio is far from decent. The ML in the ISF is okay, not great, but the Mustang Shaker500 radio is just bad.
- Build quality and materials are noticeably cheaper. Ex:, ISF you can close the trunk softly. Mustang you have to slam the trunk for the latch to lock. ISF, unlatching the hood is a soft click, Mustang, it unlatches with a firecracker pop.
- Ave mpg is 17.5. Sustained 80mph is 25mpg.

Both are enjoyable with different ways of execution. What the 25-40% premium paid for in the ISF, M3, or any luxury performance car is refinement.
Old 05-19-12, 05:32 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pass...I have logged more than 500 hrs in GTs and in Super Stags including Shelby Cobras (really enjoy riding these horses but do not want this as the first ride in my stable).

They are fun, powerful and biceps, but they are nothing like the "F".

You will be bored after a week...pass.
Old 05-19-12, 01:35 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Look at a used Z06. Better handling , less weight, easy to modify . It also will save you about 10-15K.
Old 05-19-12, 06:04 PM
jchong
Driver

Z06 won't fit hockey equipment lol. This is my DD lol