IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

If you could do it again, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 05:59 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F is the perfect blend of luxury, speed, comfort, and reliability with all the bells and whistles. I have peace of mind driving this beast knowing that there are numerous owners who have driven the F past 70K with little to no issues. I used to drive it in Auto, but now use Sport + M mode and have not looked back. On the highway around 60 mph I purposely keep it in a gear where I can hear the secondary intake around 3800RPM... I LOVE IT!

I see people taking pictures on the highway, pointing and staring, and even people turn their necks while driving. IMO The car does not need to be modded out of the factory but as time goes on there are more aftermarket parts available for the ISF. If you have 2-3K to spend get headers and you easily get nearly 50whp.

GET IT!
Old 05-23-12, 06:27 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my F for 4 weeks, but only driven it on the weekends. To busy flying and just being home on the weekend. I have my IS250 for 5 years and its great to drive the only thing is missing is power. I should have got one sooner, but my situation didnt allow me to get one. I would absolutely buy one again. Maybe the same one 11 or 12s or even maybe 2nd gen F. I know it doesnt make sense having two of the same car, but thats just how I love the ISF.
Old 05-23-12, 06:54 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I would absolutely do it again 100%

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
The F is the perfect blend of luxury, speed, comfort, and reliability with all the bells and whistles. I have peace of mind driving this beast knowing that there are numerous owners who have driven the F past 70K with little to no issues. I used to drive it in Auto, but now use Sport + M mode and have not looked back. On the highway around 60 mph I purposely keep it in a gear where I can hear the secondary intake around 3800RPM... I LOVE IT!

I see people taking pictures on the highway, pointing and staring, and even people turn their necks while driving. IMO The car does not need to be modded out of the factory but as time goes on there are more aftermarket parts available for the ISF. If you have 2-3K to spend get headers and you easily get nearly 50whp.

GET IT!
I agree with everything said and especially the piece of mind you get from it. I bought because I wanted performance but also knew I wanted a reliable car as I would be doing a lot of driving. I put 33k miles on it in the first year alone after buying my CPO with 24k miles on it. I no currently have put over 50k miles on it in a year and 8 months of ownership. I have had zero problems with the car. One shocking thing and maybe I just don't drive the car hard enough but I am still on the same brakes as the day I picked it up with 24k miles on it. I was told when I bought it I would be lucky to get 25-30k miles out of my brakes and tires. Tires have been around that mark however the brakes are still going strong. I see no reason as to why I won't keep this car till it has 150k+ miles on it.
Old 05-23-12, 07:40 AM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Are there headers which can be installed and pass smog in California? I had l long tubes on a GTO, and it wouldn't pass the visual...

Quad
Old 05-23-12, 07:43 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it!

I got my 08 ISF as soon as it was available in Miami, late march 2008. This past february I decided to replace it and got a 2012 ISF. Once you drive an ISF (and I mean in the way it's supposed to be driven), it's really hard to find a replacement that will give you the same feeling. I've driven a coupe DCT M3, loved it! The car is a beauty, but I felt like going back to a 4-cyl due to the low torque. I've also driven a coupe C63 and liked it a lot, but it looks so similar to the regular C-class and they lack many options that are standard on the ISF. Yes, I test drove a coupe CTS-V and it's a monster, but the fun ends there, quality-wise an inferior car with a high power engine. I was tempted to get a Jaguar XF-R but it seems like Jaguar is not reliable these days. My choice was a no brainer, another ISF.

They both (2008 and 2012) drive very similar. So far I've noticed the LSD only when driving agressive in rain, the main difference must be a smoother ride on the 2012 due to the improved suspension. I know people can get 30 MPG on HWY cruising at 55 MPH, not my case. My driving style gives me an average of 16 MPG on HWY, so MPG is not an advantage over an M3 (maybe a very small advantage over a C63 though). Things that I miss from my 08 are the adaptive headlights, the sunroof control (dial **** instead of a push button), and the faster reaction time on the touchscreen controls.
Old 05-23-12, 07:57 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

I am happy with my baby. If i had to do it again, i would have probably chosen another f. I love the m3, and as said before the only car i would choose over the f is the gtr.
Old 05-23-12, 10:43 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by quad
Are there headers which can be installed and pass smog in California? I had l long tubes on a GTO, and it wouldn't pass the visual...

Quad
As a fellow LS2 GTO owner..welcome!

None of the Headers offered for this car are smog legal.

They remove the primary catalytic converters. Even if you added aftermarket stuff, you would still probably fail due to visual cues.
Old 05-23-12, 12:08 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
As a fellow LS2 GTO owner..welcome!

None of the Headers offered for this car are smog legal.

They remove the primary catalytic converters. Even if you added aftermarket stuff, you would still probably fail due to visual cues.
Ah, bummer! Btw, how do you like it compared to the GTO? I had an LS1, but did headers, cam, etc. was putting out 450whp. I miss POwER, hence my interest in the IS F. What mods can we do in CA that will pass smog? I know there isn't a tune... I can't imagine the exhaust + intake will give 30+whp??
Old 05-23-12, 12:34 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I bought my 2008 ISF back in February and although it was more than what I was looking to spend (I was actually in the market for a is250/350), I don't regret any bit of it. I ended up buying the car with 75k miles on the odometer for $35k ($38k after taxes/fees). I haven't had any issues with the car *knock on wood* and I daily drive this thing to and from Fremont to Oakland everyday on 880. You should know how bad the rush hour traffic is. I'm still averaging 21mpg and that's with a heavy foot getting on the freeway and passing cars. It really is a GREAT feeling driving this car everyday.

As far as smog, this has been my big issue when deciding on what mods I want to do since I always had issues with my heavily modded integra before this. I'm assuming you could do intake and exhaust and pass the smog visually and through the sniffer, even though there are no CARB legal parts for our car. As far as the headers go, I talked to my buddy who works at SpeedElement and he said because of California's strict emissions laws, he decided to not do the headers on the F. He said it was simply too much work and hassle. I'm sure even if you were to do headers, you could pass the visual but I know for a fact you'll probably fail the sniffer unless you have high flow CA approved cats put in. I want to do headers sooo bad since the gains are amazing, but I really don't want to try to find someone to "hook" it up when it comes time to smog. If you have that connection, then go for it. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-23-12, 04:07 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

I'm in my second F if that says anything. I also owned an E90 M3 in between.

I'm not going to say that the F is a better car than the M3. It is just different. The M3 feels lighter and better balanced to me, but the F is more fun around town due to the added low end torque. You really have to wind the BMW up to get the blood flowing. Also, the auto in the F is smoother than the M-DCT when you are just cruising around town. I do sometimes miss my M, especially when there are 4 adults in the car because the BMW has more rear sear room.

My first F was a 2008 and now I have a '12. There was too much time between the two cars for me to give an accurate comparison of the two suspension setups. However, I do remember my 2008 having more of a propensity to understeer than the new car. Also, the '12 definitely takes the edge off of sharp bumps. I don't track so I'm not sure I will ever see much of a benefit from the LSD, but it is nice knowing I've got one.
Old 05-23-12, 04:18 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should try driving an IS350. When I was looking for my car I drove both an '08 F and 350. They felt the same to me in a straight line (although the F sounded wayyy cooler). The handling in the F was more "sporty" ie the car had a rougher ride which is mainly why I went w/ the 350. Also I couldn't justify the price difference for the F upgrades that IMO didn't make it feel enough like a totally different car.

Oh! And yes I would still go w/ the IS350...although I would have waited for one in white.
Old 05-23-12, 04:22 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my 08 ISF and I am happy with my choice. My friends have M3s and they are nice but I would still pick my car at the end of the day.
Old 05-23-12, 04:48 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Juanca
I know people can get 30 MPG on HWY cruising at 55 MPH, not my case. My driving style gives me an average of 16 MPG on HWY, so MPG is not an advantage over an M3 (maybe a very small advantage over a C63 though). Things that I miss from my 08 are the adaptive headlights, the sunroof control (dial **** instead of a push button), and the faster reaction time on the touchscreen controls.
Sorry to quote you, but R u seriously ignoring the Good Game tax like Mb and BMW? 'Cause BMW is listening to the hype and getting on the 8 gear bandwagon. I'm just joking lol. But in real reality, to me it is inherent fact that ISF's are cheaper to obtain than M3s and C63s and to probably other cars in the league. And I was pointing the dual personality of the car since I gots 30 mpg doing 65 in the first lane and could get way less mpg when using up all the fives. Man.. I feel privileged to drive any car that I can safely afford
Old 05-23-12, 04:49 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I would... but I would buy a 2011 for sure next time...
Old 05-23-12, 05:56 PM
RichieISF
Rookie

Abso-bloody -lutly... The F is an amazing piece of kit...
2 years on and it still turns head, brings a smile to my face every time i mash the LOUD pedal..

Nothing sounds quite like the intoxicating ROAR of the F when she hits that 3600 rpm check point...

I hit the gym yesterday , and had a guy eye ball me from the drivers seat of his '10 M3... only to come ask me what it was like to drive... "bloody awesome.". was how i replied..

Us Aussies aint got any headers as yet , but from reading all y'all posts , i think when the pipes are available , it will great to get a set on and listen to her Roar again.!

Quick Reply: If you could do it again, would you?