IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

If you could do it again, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 07:33 PM
t4orce
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine for about 2 months now and its still exciting shifting it into manual and sports mode. I love the slight twitch in the rear as it slams through the gears when you're hauling.

I like, Richie, a fellow Aussie ISF brother am waiting eagerly for headers. That should add extra meanness in the note.
Old 05-23-12, 11:41 PM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 right now and I'd rather have an M3 or 2011+ ISF. I'm not a big fan of the 08's heavy steering, stiff suspension, and poor turn in. The 2011+ ISF has fixed all these issues so that's probably what I'd get next. I like the M3 a lot but I have a problem with left knee so I can't drive manual anymore and I don't like the M-DCT. There's a reason why a used M3 is 10-15k more than a used ISF...

I'm indifferent about the power/torque between the cars in this class, they all feel "adequate" to me. What sets them apart is the handling IMO.
Old 05-23-12, 11:49 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Get Coils and rear fsport sway bar and wider tires, that should improve your handling.
Old 05-24-12, 08:14 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only once I got over 20 MPG on my ISF, it was on a drive from Miami to Key West, cruse control set at 55 MPH (cops everywhere on US1). I managed 34 MPG, I was so shocked that I took a picture at my dashboard, it's somewhere in my home computer. With my daily driving style my ISF doesn't see 7th or 8th gear, not even auto mode! I'm happy with the 16 MPG that I get now on HWY, driving on SPORT + M mode + VDC off is priceless!

An IS350 and an ISF feel the same on straight line? You must be joking or you don't know how to drive an ISF. When I was stock I murdered an IS350 on the 1/8th mile, 0.5 sec difference means multiple car lenghts, far from feeling the same.
Old 05-24-12, 08:38 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

As a disclaimer, I've only owned my 08 F for a few months, but to answer your question, yes I would.

At the begining of the year I switched jobs and went from a 2 mile bus ride to a 30 mile each way highway commute, and my 15yo Volvo was starting to show its age. While looking for a new car, I drove everything from a hybrid Civic to a turbo 911. But before I go any further it's probably worth saying that I was looking for something that had a mix of luxury, practicality, reliability, fun, looks, rarity, and efficiency (if you can call 22mpgs efficient). It's a lot to ask for, but having driven way too many cars during my search only one topped the F for me, and that was the Panamera.

I started off by driving the F. It felt great, but I had nothing to compare it to. Then came the M3 and the S4. Both were good cars in their own way, but not what I was looking for. The M3 was more of a sports car than I wanted, the interior did nothing for me, and surprisingly I didn't like the feel of the steering wheel. The S4 on the other hand felt too much like a regular car. In addition, when I drove it, it felt like every bump on the road was being absorbed by the steering wheel instead of the chassi. Definitely not something that was enjoyable. And both cars were German, which meant likely higher cost of ownership.

Then came the Quattroporte. Great sounding car but that's about it. The car was squirmy even when going in a straight line and bounced around like a boat in the wind. Very unassuring at anything over 50mph.

Next were the P-cars. The Cayane suv was a great car for what it is, but I don't need an suv. On the other hand, the Panamera was just increadible. Beautiful, practical, fun, rare, fast, luxurious, relatively reliable, and everything else I could want except for the price. So this one will have to wait until the next time.

But after having driven all these cars, the F stood out as having everything that I want. Even now getting into the car I tell myself that the only car that would have made me happier would have been the Panamera. In the end, it really comes down to what YOU want. Someone else in my position would've said "screw luxury, give me performance and hence I want an M3". Decide what you want out of your car and go see which one fits best.
Old 05-24-12, 09:45 AM
Northstar1
Driver School Candidate

^^ Good Review Ascari_2 ... I am currently looking for and IS F.. I test drove the M3 and S4 but not the Panamera just because it's out of my budget.

Last edited by Northstar1; 05-24-12 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-25-12, 04:28 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
As a disclaimer, I've only owned my 08 F for a few months, but to answer your question, yes I would.

At the begining of the year I switched jobs and went from a 2 mile bus ride to a 30 mile each way highway commute, and my 15yo Volvo was starting to show its age. While looking for a new car, I drove everything from a hybrid Civic to a turbo 911. But before I go any further it's probably worth saying that I was looking for something that had a mix of luxury, practicality, reliability, fun, looks, rarity, and efficiency (if you can call 22mpgs efficient). It's a lot to ask for, but having driven way too many cars during my search only one topped the F for me, and that was the Panamera.
WOW that is some car jump!!! A 15yr old Volvo to a Lexus IS-F

Totally agree that it's the blend that makes the IS-F special to get all the luxury, performance etc yet maintain the rarity and most important (for me anyway) reliability - don't think there is another car that offers it all out there is there?
Old 05-25-12, 04:52 AM
pierre2k5
Driver School Candidate

Nope don't regret it at all. I've always wanted to own a IS-F. Even tho I'm working my way up to a GT-R, I'll enjoy the hell out of this car in the meantime. ;-)
Old 05-25-12, 07:32 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Northstar: Thanks. A used panamera is not much more than a brand new F and that was the reason I checked them out. Granted the v8 version is still about $15k more and the v6 is not as peppy as the F, I still thought that P-cars were the only ones that would make me happier than the F. But ultimately, being able to get the performance of an F in a reliable used car was what did it for me. On a related note, since you haven't driven the Panamera yet, don't! You'll spend countless nights wondering how to afford one lol.

By the way I should say that I did not drive the GTR, the C63n or the CTSV. The GTR was quite pricey and the maintenance scared me. If I was going up into that price range I would opt for the Panamera S. Another major reason being that I hope to start a family in the next few years, so a sedan is a must. The C63 is a gas guzzler and their reliability doesn't inspire any confidence. Yes it's faster, but the F keeps me plenty happy even with my foot half way down. And the CTSV wasn't even on the radar after I sat in one at the autoshow. Way too much bling on the inside, ridiculously uncomfortable seats in front and what felt like concrete slabs in the back, lackluster exterior, and just a general sense of dislike of the car.

Oh and the Supra is still in the garage but it's going up for sale.

Valkirk: The Volvo lasted me through school and when I worked 2 miles away and used the car a few times a month I couldn't justify a new car, let alone one like the F. Now that I commute, might as well enjoy the drive.
Old 05-25-12, 08:26 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Valkirk: The Volvo lasted me through school and when I worked 2 miles away and used the car a few times a month I couldn't justify a new car, let alone one like the F. Now that I commute, might as well enjoy the drive.
Most certainly and enjoy the drive you will! Happy motoring!!
Old 05-26-12, 01:00 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
The F is the perfect blend of luxury, speed, comfort, and reliability with all the bells and whistles. I have peace of mind driving this beast knowing that there are numerous owners who have driven the F past 70K with little to no issues. I used to drive it in Auto, but now use Sport + M mode and have not looked back. On the highway around 60 mph I purposely keep it in a gear where I can hear the secondary intake around 3800RPM... I LOVE IT!

I see people taking pictures on the highway, pointing and staring, and even people turn their necks while driving. IMO The car does not need to be modded out of the factory but as time goes on there are more aftermarket parts available for the ISF. If you have 2-3K to spend get headers and you easily get nearly 50whp.

GET IT!

LOL @ that statement of turning necks and pictures! C'mon you live in NY I'm sure people have seen this car before! You are not driving a Lambo

To OP: Yes I would do it again, few cars I regret buying and we have more Lexus in our family than any other car. This brand never disappoints
Old 05-26-12, 06:47 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I live in NY as well and I've experienced this first hand. I've only seen 4 isfs since they came out. These cars are pretty rare in this area.

As far as if I would do it again, its too early to tell. I just got it two weeks ago.
Old 05-26-12, 06:52 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Something else.

I'd pick something else.
Old 05-26-12, 09:39 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I'd pick something else.
Would like to hear what else would you pick in the same class? I had 2 F's (08 & 11), both were great and probably will buy Next gen F when it comes out.
I have driven M3s, RS4 & C63....(ISF may not be the fastest) but it def. is a good daily driver out of the bunch without much worries.
Old 05-27-12, 07:16 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Frankly I love my IS-F but there are minor gripes I had with the car that I was hoping Lexus would address in their future models:

a) Lack of fold down rear seat (such an easy option)
b) THREE REAR SEATS PLEASE!

At this point I'm back looking at M3's and no matter how good the IS-F looks, how can you not like this color on the m3...hehehe ~ I don't think the IS-F would pull off yellow very well unless they make it a coupe? nah

Quick Reply: If you could do it again, would you?