IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

If you could do it again, would you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 08:23 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could do it again, would you?

Hi Folks,

First post here as you can tell! I've been driving a few cars to decide what will replace my Audi 3.0, and I gotta tell ya, the only 2 cars that I find myself interested in are the C63 AMG, and the IS F. The C63 is a bit of a gas hound, so I'm leaning toward the IS F.

I drove it for the first time (2008 at Stevens Creek Lexus - Northern Cal), and I was surprised. My in laws both have lexus - an original IS 250, and an ES300. I'm thinking "I can't get myself in trouble if I buy a Lexus....they'll say 'good choice.'" But, I'm really diggin' the IS F.

Love the throttle response and paddle shifters. Really liked the additional sound at 3500+rpm.

Couple questions for you guys.

If you could choose again, would you still take the IS F, or something else?

Have you guys driven a pre-rear differential car, and the newer versions with the limited slip rear diff and new updates to the suspension? Just curious if it makes a real difference for a guy like me who drives in traffic and probably only has 10 miles where I can smack the right foot.

I've only driven the 2008 from the other day, and thought it was great. I don't plan on tracking the car, just daily commute and hitting the happy pedal when a lane opens up.

Looking forward to your thoughts..... BTW, what kind of lease / purchase deals are you guys getting? I'm thinking buy, and do some mods, but not sure if headers are going to pass smog out here in CA.

Thanks all,

quad
Old 05-22-12, 09:01 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Truth be told, yes. With AMG and M performance cars having already been introduced in the market, Lexus needs to do the same with the F. It might not have the pedigree as both said monikers have created over the past few decades, but even they had to start from scratch. I might not have the most horsepower or have tuning capabilities like the rest, but the F to me has the best mix of both luxury and sport performance a company can offer. While others may argue, especially fanbois, it is nothing but noise to me. It's not their car; it is mine. For those who knock others' cars to feel superior, that's just sad on their part. True enthusiasts know that what Lexus is doing- by forging the path of F- is changing the game. This is a game that has been long overdue for something fresh, and the IS F certainly is doing so. Whether it is the yammering about its "fake" exhaust tips, which we know to be fully functional, or the "overkill" of having an 8-speed tranny (aren't the competitors finally catching on and utilizing this concept? ), the Lexus IS F has made this a more balanced playing field. To be a part of something new and totally unlike Lexus up until recently is something I take great pride in as an owner.

Lexus is constantly improving upon the F, which shows dedication and a true backing to this new F marquee. An LSD one year, improved suspension the next, and all the while keeping the luxury and harnessing the potential into an even better product model year after model year- that's how the F stays fresh. In my honest opinion, it is the sexiest four door sport sedan available in the market--stock! All the mods done to each F shows unique beauty each owner sees in his or her car. And Lexus does take notice. We've even had one of our own members showcased for his amazing build and broadcasting brand awareness with his F to where Lexus rewarded him with a driving experience of a lifetime in its halo car, the LFA!

I've seen those who traded their M3s for IS F's and I've seen those trade their F's for GTR's. It simply does not matter. You are the owner and the only opinion worth listening to is your own. But personally, when people see M3s, there's not as much of a wow factor as a few generations ago. They do have the power and tuning available, which I know many owners take advantage of. Slowly yet surely, we do get some aftermarket parts. Exhausts, one even created by a fellow Lexus enthusiast, headers, suspension....the list may not be as extensive as the M or AMG, but that's quite alright for me. But Lexus has created something special with the IS F. Pull up in an F, and people will be gazing. Open up that second intake on the road, and all ears will be fixated on this beast. And I guarantee, the grin on your face will not be leaving anytime soon. It's just that complete a ride.
Old 05-22-12, 09:19 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IS F
C63
M3

I love the fact that this car is rare to see on the streets and the community is very tight knit!
Old 05-22-12, 09:32 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

#1 Yes I would stil buy the IS-F over the M3.
#2 Got an 08 and never driven the newer ones w/ LSD and modded suspension. I have no doubt it handles better and have better traction but for what you specify you do with your car, it would be nice to have but you do not need the updates.
Old 05-22-12, 09:49 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

I've seen those who traded their M3s for IS F's and I've seen those trade their F's for GTR's. It simply does not matter. You are the owner and the only opinion worth listening to is your own. But personally, when people see M3s, there's not as much of a wow factor as a few generations ago. They do have the power and tuning available, which I know many owners take advantage of. Slowly yet surely, we do get some aftermarket parts. Exhausts, one even created by a fellow Lexus enthusiast, headers, suspension....the list may not be as extensive as the M or AMG, but that's quite alright for me. But Lexus has created something special with the IS F. Pull up in an F, and people will be gazing. Open up that second intake on the road, and all ears will be fixated on this beast. And I guarantee, the grin on your face will not be leaving anytime soon. It's just that complete a ride.
AWESOME STATEMENT!!! VERY TRUE!!!
Old 05-22-12, 09:55 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I'd do it again at the 2008-2009 price point.

The only car I want over it is the GTR and possibly the CTS-V . The maintence bill is the only detourant for me. So my thirst for more power steers me torward trying a CTS-V. You can't beat the over all everything else of an ISF.

~Dv8
Old 05-22-12, 10:03 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd do it again in a hearbeat...as an overall package of fun and performance, rarity, reliability, and luxury... it's hard to beat.

Now if we could just get some spy shots trickling in of the redesigned next gen!
Old 05-22-12, 10:06 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Do it the same thing , ISF for life lolz.
Old 05-22-12, 10:17 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

If I could do it again, I would.

Old 05-22-12, 10:44 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Only wished I would have skipped the IS350 and A4 and gone straight to the F. Would have saved me some coin.
Old 05-22-12, 10:54 PM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell Yea!

I wouldn't change a thing. I love the rarity of the IS-F and the perfect balance of luxury and sport.

I get a lot of compliments from complete strangers and my friend was convinced to buy a regular IS after seeing my F.
Old 05-22-12, 11:11 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned my F only for a week. (Just sold my L-Tuned GS400 after 12 years of bliss) and have already spotted three different times when people are pointing and gawking at my car from a far. Still can't believe I'm driving a super clean 08 MM ISF.. such a sick car!
Old 05-22-12, 11:21 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely I would do it again. In fact if I decided to pass on it at the time and now knowing what I would have missed out on I would probably kill myself.
Old 05-23-12, 12:48 AM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

i'm in similar situation lol. I just totaled the 08 F and probably looking for a car to replace if my dough allows. One thing I liked about the F is while I gots more torque than M3, I can get 30 mpg on the highway. I know u don't need to worry if u r too rich, but I loved to smile in the F when I see priuses. People say handling is now similar as/to M3 for '12s? So, as of now, my best choice would be '12 C63 cuz of all the upgrades or '12 ISF cuz of the shoes. Time for some paper chasing.
Old 05-23-12, 05:43 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I would buy the F again, it is a great deal for what you get.

I have driven a new M3 Sedan on the track and its great too, it has better turn in than the F and a little bit less weight, however I am not sure how reliable it would be for daily driving.

Quick Reply: If you could do it again, would you?