IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 F vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 09:16 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MMCRacing
How cute, another non-GT-R owner on the internet who is an expert in GT-R transmissions.
Like Button
Old 05-26-12, 11:49 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

How cute, another non-GT-R owner on the internet who is an expert in GT-R transmissions.
ruh roh....
Old 05-26-12, 02:58 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude...please....don't even use the "im an owner of a GT-R and know everything in the world" or "what do you know, you don't own a GT-R" excuses. I never said I was an expert, but actually got my info from REAL GT-R owners. This seems to be a common problem with GT-R owners....ya know, denial....of knowing you paid almost $100k for a car that can barely stay running on the road for 10k miles without shutting down on I-94. You see, it doesn't always take a GT-R owner, or a Supra owner to know the difference in quality and engineering.....i mean, look at Paris Hilton who owns an LFA....does she know anything about the quality or engineering that took place to build that car? or that Yamaha was involved in the engineering of that car? or that it's majority of body is made up of carbon fiber? No, all she cares about is that she is in a Lexus super car. Just like Paris Hilton, alot of GT-R owner think that because they are in a GT-R, that they are god and 1000HP will go on for a lifetime.

But what do I know right, im just a "another non-GT-R owner" who is glad to not own a GT-R!
Old 05-26-12, 03:04 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by staman
+1 Couldnt agree more...

What you need is a Cobb Access Port to Upgrade your TCM module to the new 2013 LC5 Programming. It takes under 10 minutes. But you knew that right?...
Hahaha.....Call ShepTrans and repeat the above to them....then post their reply on this forum please.

...and please post their honest response.
Old 05-26-12, 03:14 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Like Button
You know what you should click a "Like" on.....how about a registry page dedicated to all model year R35 GT-R with transmission problems (started in March of this year, yet watch how quickly the list grows):

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....lure-registry/
Old 05-26-12, 03:19 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Different class cars, beside speculating between buying a non-existing (yet) ISF against a used GTR is like trying to decide if in 2 years you should buy the then-current top of the line desktop computer or a 2-year old top of the line laptop.

I wouldn't get a GTR over my ISF, I'd get it next to my ISF!
Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Is this thread really happening? Are people again comparing an ISF to a GTR?

Thats like me comparing my Celica to the GT500. I dont get it.
Originally Posted by smartbomb
I own both and they are completely different cars, you can't compare them, not even close.
All of the above.
Old 05-26-12, 05:19 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Dude...please....don't even use the "im an owner of a GT-R and know everything in the world" or "what do you know, you don't own a GT-R" excuses. I never said I was an expert, but actually got my info from REAL GT-R owners. This seems to be a common problem with GT-R owners....ya know, denial....of knowing you paid almost $100k for a car that can barely stay running on the road for 10k miles without shutting down on I-94. You see, it doesn't always take a GT-R owner, or a Supra owner to know the difference in quality and engineering.....i mean, look at Paris Hilton who owns an LFA....does she know anything about the quality or engineering that took place to build that car? or that Yamaha was involved in the engineering of that car? or that it's majority of body is made up of carbon fiber? No, all she cares about is that she is in a Lexus super car. Just like Paris Hilton, alot of GT-R owner think that because they are in a GT-R, that they are god and 1000HP will go on for a lifetime.

But what do I know right, im just a "another non-GT-R owner" who is glad to not own a GT-R!
Is this where we are supposed to argue back and forth for a few pages on an internet forum?

Last edited by MMCRacing; 05-26-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 07:32 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Is this where we are supposed to argue back and forth for a few pages on an internet forum?
If not me and me you, then who? Haha... You know these GT-R vs. xxxx threads are always top hits
Old 05-26-12, 07:47 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha.....Call ShepTrans and repeat the above to them....then post their reply on this forum please.

...and please post their honest response.
I know all about sheptrans. Seeing as im running stock with an LC5 TCM what the hell would I need a rebuilt tranny for? You put an AMS or a P800 on it and ya you need a rebult trans. Funny thing your knocking the GTR transmission? The F trans is a joke.
Old 05-27-12, 07:33 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
^ Well said....just be prepared for crazy maintenance costs!

I think owners who can truly afford a new GTR should be able to pay for maintenance. When you buy a $100k car, it's assumed you can afford these expenses same as any other exotic like a F-car, etc. Brakes and other associated costs are part of the play to pay game I guess.

My dad used to tell me if you had to ask about insurance, fuel or other associated costs it means you are not ready to own a 6-figure sports car.

IS-F is a far drop in price bracket to really compare to a new GTR so my point is the demographics of an IS-F owner is not in Nissan's sight when they are targeting NEW GTR owners.
Old 05-27-12, 07:35 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by staman
I know all about sheptrans. Seeing as im running stock with an LC5 TCM what the hell would I need a rebuilt tranny for? You put an AMS or a P800 on it and ya you need a rebult trans. Funny thing your knocking the GTR transmission? The F trans is a joke.
Look man, I'm not knocking the GT-R transmission because it's not made by Lexus/Toyota, or because it's not made by Porsche, or because it's not an F1 transmission, etc... I'm criticizing the GT-R's transmission because in reality it is a problematic transmission. The transmission is problematic to begin with without modifications, and then becomes a 300lb paperweight after modifications....you said it yourself with AMS and P800. I have friends who own bone stock 2009, 2010, and 2012 GT-R's....and all three are insane fast no doubt! However, all three constantly talk about parts of the transmission that need to be either; replaced, inspected, cleaned, etc... After hearing so much of that, you begin to know exactly where the weak parts are of a GT-R's transmission.

Now, in regards to the TCM re-flash....that is ONLY for launch control and minor enhancements to the transmissions programming. All the LCxx re-flashes have done through out the years is; drop the rpm launch point, created a slower reaction time to allow for a rolling start/launch, and denied continuous launches when transmission temperatures exceed a specified point. I have noticed the difference with the LCxx in all of my friends GT-R's. In a nutshell, it saves first gear from total destruction!!!

Yeah your right....the F's transmission is a joke....considering there have been quite literally NOT A SINGLE failure or defect since production....yeah that's a joke I don't get. Someone needs to call Carlos Ghosn and advise him to hire Toyota engineers when designing serious sports cars.

Finally, this thread is asking for the opinion of many members (GT-R owners or not) on the decision of trading in for or buying a GT-R....i think it is the right thing to do by informing the OP of problems he/she will most likely encounter when purchasing a GT-R. Just like if/when someone says, "I am going to catch a Tiger in the wild and keep it as a pet, any suggestion?" I will tell them that there is a good chance it will bite your @$#%ing head off!!!
Old 05-27-12, 07:39 AM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

The GT-R/IS-F comparisons were more valid in late 2008 when the MSRPs were 10k apart. I was cross shopping a lot of cars back then and the GT-R was actually the "value" car based on what was given for $72k.

Now with 30k+ of price difference, there is really no category to compare them on. So it is now new versus used to try to get a close comparision.
Old 05-27-12, 07:45 AM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Yeah your right....the F's transmission is a joke....considering there have been quite literally NOT A SINGLE failure or defect since production....yeah that's a joke I don't get. Someone needs to call Carlos Ghosn and advise him to hire Toyota engineers when designing serious sports cars.
You have stated what is probably a fact in the first part, but you have given a poor conclusion in that it is due to superior engineering. IS-F's for the most part do not get serious modifications. The typical 40-50HP with breathing mods is not going to stress the transmission. What you have is way to low of a sample rate of modified vehicles to draw any conclusion of the strength, or lack there of, with the IS-F transmission.
Old 05-27-12, 07:02 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I said the F's transmission was a joke I was referring to its ability to put power to the ground. Its miserable. Not to mention the 8 speed......
Old 05-27-12, 07:18 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I am going to catch a Tiger in the wild and keep it as a pet, any suggestion?" I will tell them that there is a good chance it will bite your @$#%ing head off!!!
Mike Tyson had a tiger. His head is fine

Quick Reply: 2014 F vs GTR