IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 F vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 06:50 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
That's funny, because...."the second Nissan put 500HP STOCK on the GT-R's tranny", it was/is game over....and the second a tuner "puts more than 500HP on the GT-R's tranny", not even Iron Man's Arc Reactor will help you get the transmission gear shrapnel out of your chest.

...everybody knows it.
You are completely off. 500HP is a VERY safe level for the stock GT-R transmission. I spent 18 months driving mine at 520HP. The standard turbo-back exhaust + tune puts a GT-R right over 500.
Old 05-29-12, 08:28 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
Good luck rebuilding your Lexus tranny...
Thanks...............when it breaks.
Old 05-29-12, 08:36 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MMCRacing
You are completely off. 500HP is a VERY safe level for the stock GT-R transmission. I spent 18 months driving mine at 520HP. The standard turbo-back exhaust + tune puts a GT-R right over 500.
MMC,

I gotta say you are probably one of the lucky few that has a "ticking" GT-R with 500HP+ (stock trans). Everyone else, especially friends who have destroyed their trans previously either with stock setups or minor minor upgrades. They all say a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear overhaul is almost a necessary to drive the GT-R properly. Not to mention trans coolers, solenoid and catch can magnet cleanings, etc... That is down right WRONG for a car that stickers over $100k. So, i may not be 100% right.....but i am 10% wrong....no?
Old 05-29-12, 08:40 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

MMC,

I gotta say you are probably one of the lucky few that has a "ticking" GT-R with 500HP+ (stock trans). Everyone else, especially friends who have destroyed their trans previously either with stock setups or minor minor upgrades. They all say a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear overhaul is almost a necessary to drive the GT-R properly. Not to mention trans coolers, solenoid and catch can magnet cleanings, etc... That is down right WRONG for a car that stickers over $100k. So, i may not be 100% right.....but i am 10% wrong....no?
People don't buy "AMS kits" to put down 500HP. I really really really really* think you don't know what you are talking about.

*really really
Old 05-29-12, 08:52 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

People don't buy "AMS kits" to put down 500HP. I really really really really* think you don't know what you are talking about.

*really really

AMS doesn't just sell 800HP - 1200HP kits buddy, they sell other parts too, but you already knew that because you are a "GT-R owner and you know everything"......have you ever been to AMS shop? Come to Chicago, bring your GT-R here and I'll personally drive you to their shop.

Oh and AMS kits can be as simple as intakes and exhaust systems and become extremely complex with their Alpha kits.

Simmer down....your not the only one who knows about cars because you own a GT-R.
Old 05-29-12, 08:55 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

AMS doesn't just sell 800HP - 1200HP kits buddy, they sell other parts too, but you already knew that because you are a "GT-R owner and you know everything"......have you ever been to AMS shop? Come to Chicago, bring your GT-R here and I'll personally drive you to their shop.

Oh and AMS kits can be as simple as intakes and exhaust systems and become extremely complex with their Alpha kits.

Simmer down....your not the only one who knows about cars because you own a GT-R.
Last word..
Old 05-29-12, 09:44 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F is billed as a race car not as your everyday DD like an is250. Oh and for a track car the thing is WAY overweight..... I guess I'm biased as i just traded up for a GTR. The reason I did in the end is because the F is lost somewhere in between a race car and a sports sedan. The GTR is a pure race car with no compromises. For some reason Lexus seems to think that they can sell you a "race" car but then tell you "don't ever take it to the track" or its considered "abuse" Finally I got so sick and tired of having to educate the Lexus shop Foreman at Lexus on the Park. Again, if you have a 250/350 they're great and they know exactly what they're talking about. With the F its a completely different story..I had a 35-40 minute argument with him about the whole re-aligning the subframe to correct the drift. First he told me the F didnt have a drift problem. Then he told me the subframe on an F cant be adjusted, and lastly he informed me I had no clue what I was talking about.
I walked away in disgust. Nissan actually has GTR mechanics and they're the only guys that work on my car. And they educate me NOT the other way around..
LOL... you got a bad egg and you assume it's the case with all ISF's. Good for you and your GTR, now you have a reason to find a flaw for every single aspect of the ISF right? Why did you even own an ISF? Every dealer I've been to knows that the F has a drift problem, and knows the subframe is adjustable (4 dealers). It's a 4 door with a 5.0L V8... what do you expect it to be, 2000lb? The majority of people here use it as a DD as well as on the track to keep up with Vettes, M3's, C63's, etc...not to beat Porsches, GTRs or other supercars. It can do better with the I/H/E boltons & NOS. Who told you not to track it? Lobuxracer, caymandive, darbs, and a plethora of other ISF owners track their car regularly.
Old 05-29-12, 09:54 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess what I said was completely lost on you. The GT-R transmission will not handle 40% more power over stock either without upgrades.

As to your dealer problem, you sold your car because you were too lazy to seek out a more qualified dealer? When I bought my GT-R - and this was 2008 only a few months after they hit - I interviewed all the local dealers and their one GT-R mechanic. I found only 3 of the 5 really had the knowledge and overall background to earn my business. I bet Lexus dealers are no different.
No kidding. The point is the gtr tranny can and is rebuilt all the time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of anyone rebuilding or making parts for the F tranny. Again, I could be wrong. Back in 2008 when dealers were just getting their GTR mechanics I'm sure they weren't completely up to snuff. They've had 4-5 years to train and educate them. When you go to Lexus you don't get an F mechanic you get a guy that works on Toyota's all day and see's an F MAYBE once a month.
Finally, I didn't sell my F because I was lazy, I sold it, like i stated, because its not really a DD but it's not really a race car. Its stuck somewhere in between...
Old 05-30-12, 05:51 PM
jchong
Driver

What part of the ISF isn't a DD? The four doors, big trunk, auto tranny good fuel economy? Or is it something else?
Old 05-30-12, 06:27 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

No kidding. The point is the gtr tranny can and is rebuilt all the time. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know of anyone rebuilding or making parts for the F tranny. Again, I could be wrong. Back in 2008 when dealers were just getting their GTR mechanics I'm sure they weren't completely up to snuff. They've had 4-5 years to train and educate them. When you go to Lexus you don't get an F mechanic you get a guy that works on Toyota's all day and see's an F MAYBE once a month.
Finally, I didn't sell my F because I was lazy, I sold it, like i stated, because its not really a DD but it's not really a race car. Its stuck somewhere in between...
My point all along has been that a person who buys a $100k car should NOT have to be rebuilding transmissions or even getting use to the idea of having the ability to. Take the R34 GT-R for example, the stock trans on an R34 can handle 800HP all day with upgraded clutch. The R35's transmissions are failing on stock HP levels. If Toyota felt that the IS-F's transmission was going to be prone to failure and destruction, I can guarantee you, they would make it rebuild-able and not sealed.

Oh and, I would prefer a mechanic "that works on Toyota's all day" than a mechanic that works on Sentra's all day....because at the end of the day, your still servicing your car at Nissan. There is no such thing as a GT-R mechanic....it's a regular Nissan master tech that has passed a 30min online course during lunch and received a GT-R printed certificate.
Old 05-30-12, 06:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

OK guys, enough. Take it to PM.

LexIS007, I'm going to ask that I don't see any more of these aggressive & baiting posts in future Nissan threads.