IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 03:57 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good and interesting thread!

I drove the Stasis tuned S4 because I really love Audi interiors. If BMW or Lexus can take some pointers from Audi then there would be much nicer interiors for everyone!

For me, I was comparing the S4 and E90 M3 since the IS-F is way too small for a growing family with only 4 seats. I asked the same question and after much discussion it's accepted facts that the e90 m3 is still the track car KING. In torque numbers, a chipped S4 feels much stronger around town with the added low end torque that the m3 lacks. The S4's gas MPG is also way better than the m3 or IS-F with the V6 motor.

One big drawback to the S4 for me is the wimpy V6 sound. When you compare a V6 forced induction to a V8 in the M3 or IS-F, the V8's will win every time. Even the mighy GTR's have a weak exhaust note compared to an IS-F with a JoeZ

So in the end, you have 3 great cars to pick depending on what you need, this is my observations:

a) Buy IS-F if: Reliability, great exhaust note, great MPG, Comfortable interior

b) Buy M3 if: Best handling. need weekend track car, sweet exhaust note, need 5-seater and fold down seats
for more trunk space

c) Buy S4: Interior + seats is the best hands down, look at that stitching! Great handing AWD for snow and all climates, great gas mpg, huge trunk compared to above two cars, Auto tranny is superior
Old 06-01-12, 07:59 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for fun...

Old 06-02-12, 12:08 AM
dLad
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mugenh22a4
Regardless of your race with your buddy and whether you're sure of the actual numbers or not, I still don't understand how you can state that an S4 with 410 whp and 370 wtq can't keep up with a stock ISF.

I guess it just bothers me that some members seem to think the ISF can walk all over anything.
hey, in the beginning of my post i just said a reason why an s4 with 410whp and 370tq wouldn't keep up. I said i think it wouldn't b/c of the tranny/shifting.(like, i think that would be the reason why it wouldn't keep up) In the second paragraph I clearly wrote that i would expect him(an s4 with 410whp and 370tq) to keep up with mine, and that it's possible (but not likely) he might beat a stock isf. So I don't mean to sound rude...but did u read the whole thing i wrote? And if ur referring to me being a member who seems to think the ISF can walk all over anything...you're wrong. An s4 (hooked up or not) is not "anything" and it certainly isn't an especially fast car. For the record, my ISF has lost by a solid amount to a 09 GTR and a small amount to a 2007 911 turbo. Those cars are in a completely different league than the s4.

And again, I truly don't mean to come off rude or anything. Words can be read differently and taken the wrong way when being read. If I was talking in person you would know i'm a nice guy and just letting u know how i feel about ur response. So please don't take it the wrong way.

MY ORIGINAL POST
"Originally Posted by dLad
i don't know if those numbers r correct....but i'll tell you why it may or may not keep up. i think it would not keep up with those similar hp/torque numbers due to our transmission and lightning quick shifting, in combo with our traction control. another factor could be weight, but the shifting/tranny is my answer.

on another note, my buddy has a new s4 and we went at it when he only had intake, and i blew hi outof the water(i have stock isf + iss forged quad exhaust system).....then he had it chipped/tuned with the stasis chip/tune...so we went at it again, and i was still faster by a pretty decent amount, however his car was way way way way faster with the stasis stuff done in combo with the intake.....just a week or two ago he had the exhaust done....we haven't gone at it yet, but from my research of the stasis upgrade...it's hp/torque claims are from the chip/tune in combo with the exhaust.....so im sure his car is even quicker now. I would be shocked if he was faster than my ISF, but i expect him t keep up now. I do think it's possible(but still not likely) that he might beat a stock isf with his intake, stasis chip/tune, and exhaust. Even though i haven't run with him yet, i'm positive it's faster than when we went at it with only intake and stasis work done.

hope this answers what you were asking about.... "
Old 06-02-12, 08:37 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has a 2012 S4 with the APR tune, APR intake, and the pulley. Per his APR rep he is making about 390 awd hp and 370 awd torque. I have SIKKY headers on my F.... we ran last week a couple of times and I beat him every time by about 3-4 car lengths. He said he was going to install the exhaust system offered by APR to see if it helps him out a bit, I reminded him that it would not help him gain 3 car lengths, the F is way faster period. He did say that his car shifts slower than the F and that is why the F is faster....
Old 06-02-12, 08:48 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

I forgot to mention that the runs we did were from a roll, every run was pretty close ( about 1 car length) until we got to about 90 mph, then after that is when the F would just leave him for good. At about 135 is when we would terminate the runs each time, because the faster we went the worst it got for him...
Old 06-04-12, 08:59 PM
DCF
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 S4 with a GIAC chip, AWE exhaust and AWE air intake. Dyno at 383 HP at all wheels = 468hp at the crank? http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php.

No F in my future unless they offer in standard transmission.
Old 06-05-12, 10:40 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Guys, I think you need to realize in ANY race whether on the track or on the street, it's always the driver that determines the faster car!!!!

No two humans are alike which is why there are pro drivers and amateurs. I think everyone here is in the latter group....

I like reading everyone's post and do my own judgement based on that. Not everyone will be truthful simply because the truth hurts sometimes. I've heard it both ways from S4 and M3 owners on their respective forums. Some tell me a chipped S4 will easily hang with the e90 m3, others say no way. Who's lying? I think words are subjective too so being this is an IS-F forum, few guys here will admit their car is slower.

We all know the C63 is the fastest in a drag race, after that it's anyone's guess what the order is
Old 06-07-12, 04:56 PM
flyverylow
Rookie

Originally Posted by s4play
Guys, I think you need to realize in ANY race whether on the track or on the street, it's always the driver that determines the faster car!!!!

No two humans are alike which is why there are pro drivers and amateurs. I think everyone here is in the latter group....

I like reading everyone's post and do my own judgement based on that. Not everyone will be truthful simply because the truth hurts sometimes. I've heard it both ways from S4 and M3 owners on their respective forums. Some tell me a chipped S4 will easily hang with the e90 m3, others say no way. Who's lying? I think words are subjective too so being this is an IS-F forum, few guys here will admit their car is slower.

We all know the C63 is the fastest in a drag race, after that it's anyone's guess what the order is
The F is faster than the S4, just ask my friend that drives an S4 with all the tuning, intake, pulley....
Old 06-07-12, 05:54 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyverylow
The F is faster than the S4, just ask my friend that drives an S4 with all the tuning, intake, pulley....
The F has strong mid-to-upper range acceleration. This is the true speed that I love about the F and why the S4 simply cannot keep up. Combine it with the direct shift tranny...we're out of here.
Old 06-07-12, 09:28 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

If the F were a 5 seater, it would be a no brainer for me. Great thoughts guys, thank you! I want to wait a few more months (6+), but the more I look at auto trader, and see rates as low as .9%, the more I ponder an Xmas gift...

I haven't had the chance to drive a chipped S4, even though my local dealer can do the StassiS install directly from my understanding.

I can't do headers on the F, as I'm in smogville Commi-CA, where doing anything that resembles "fun" (rifles, cars) is either illegal, or too many restrictions.

Anyway, my F would be intake and exhaust only, can't do the headers. What kind of HP/TQ increases are you guys getting from the "Z" intake, and exhaust system? I love the sound, mid-range TQ, etc.,

Regarding it always being up to the drivers - not really. Tell that to my old GTO with 550HP. I destroyed everything that tried. Given the F has paddle shifters, and most S4s I've seen are auto, and given they are AWD, so from a dig it 'shouldn't lose, there's less and less about the driver (I'm 41), and more and more about the tech and sheer HP that matters - no replacement for displacement.

What really turned me off about the S4 was the shifting - it took a while to kick in, AND that odd noise it makes - sounded like it was passing gas (no pun intended)...

quad

Last edited by quad; 06-07-12 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 09:34 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF001

That Audi sounds like the older B5 or B6 twin turbo version - I think, where you hear the squeeking, is the blow off valve of the turbo... I had an A6 2.7TT, chipped, and it moved!

Just confirmed from the video page, it is the old S4...

Quad
Old 06-08-12, 08:28 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

quad: The sound you are talking about is a normal sound from forced induction (turbo) cars. It could be either the BOV or related noises. It's hard to compare a N/A and FI car, they each have their own characteristics.

Your GTO comparo is kind of unfair since it's a v8 with 550 (almost 50 more than a C63) so in "most" cases it should win easily in a drag race. Put yourself in a road course and again driver skill will play a major role. If you don't know how to drive, I bet a Miata can pass you just as quickly.

I'm hoping the new IS-F will have around 450-500 hp since that is where it needs to be to stay competitive with BMW M and AMG cars. At 416hp it's got the lowest hp output of it's class. The M3, C63 and CTSV all have more power. Plus the M3 still has the best balanced chassis of all it's competitors so Lexus needs to improve or be left behind.

The space issues is more of a small concern based on individual needs.
Old 06-08-12, 01:31 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought the m3 had 414hp and less torque no?
Old 06-08-12, 01:32 PM
quad
Driver School Candidate

Speaking about the new IS-F, when is it expected to see NA? Any word at all on it? I love the new design, and the front a lot more than the new "F" series that seem to be rolling out, but don't want to get the current version, if the new one will be world's different/better...

Quad
Old 06-08-12, 06:05 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Your GTO comparo is kind of unfair since it's a v8 with 550 (almost 50 more than a C63)
C63 comes 450hp or 480 with factory tune, so that would be 100hp more over stock C63 and 70hp with factory tune.

At 416hp it's got the lowest hp output of it's class. The M3, C63 and CTSV all have more power.
M3 is 414hp/290tq and ISF 416hp/374tq that makes M3 with the lowest hp/tq numbers in this class, but it still manages to be class leader in everything but 1/4 times.

Quick Reply: Anyone "run" with a new ECU-tuned Audi S4?