IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The Wait is Over: Lexus ISF CCS-R Arrives in the USA (Live Pics & Video from PPIHC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 07:48 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

At times It sounded as if that car was in full auto mode and not sport shift......nice clean run!!
Old 06-13-12, 07:59 PM
ruaturtle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.......
Old 06-13-12, 09:52 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Feels like I'm watching Initial D.
Just by watching the video and not being able to see the road ahead makes me feel very uneasy.
LoL @ 25mph speed limit sign.
There's probably A LOT of rock chips on the car after that run.
Old 06-13-12, 09:57 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by crazee201
Feels like I'm watching Initial D.
Just by watching the video and not being able to see the road ahead makes me feel very uneasy.
LoL @ 25mph speed limit sign.
There's probably A LOT of rock chips on the car after that run.
it would have been insane if people were actually drifting it!

its not that bad if you really think about it. the driver most likely drove the course at least once and studied a map of the course before plus there is no traffic (closed off) so they dont have to worry about hopping in the other lane.
Old 06-13-12, 10:17 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I aint gonna lie if I were to be in that car I'd probably be shixxing massive bricks but it actually looks like a very fun course. But omg that fuel pump was driving me crazy.
Old 06-13-12, 11:02 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
it would have been insane if people were actually drifting it!

its not that bad if you really think about it. the driver most likely drove the course at least once and studied a map of the course before plus there is no traffic (closed off) so they dont have to worry about hopping in the other lane.
Yikes! You don't want to spin off that track. I wonder if the drivers use oxygen up there (looking down at Cessnas). I've been up there at 14K+ feet and you get a little loopy for lack of air.
Old 06-13-12, 11:05 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Such an awesome and challenging road...get it wrong on Pikes Peak and you can kiss ya azz goodbye.

Pikes Peak has always reminded me of the Isle of Man TT...absolutely zero room for error.
Old 06-14-12, 12:07 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Yep if I can recall multi millionaire VRAlexander died when he lost control of this 1300whp Porsche 996 TT at PP I think this was a year ago.
yikes

i'd be down to drive this but i'd slow down to like 15mph every turn haha
Old 06-14-12, 12:11 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
yikes

i'd be down to drive this but i'd slow down to like 15mph every turn haha
Oops he died in a event in Virginia but you guys still get the point lol. Same here man.
Old 06-14-12, 04:04 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car ! I watched the vids at work and would be scared outta my *** driving this course... um no thanks especially after reading the above posts ^^^
Old 06-14-12, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

3 more weeks before the race, this is getting very exciting!
Old 06-14-12, 11:28 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

does anyone know if or where this event will be televised?
Old 06-14-12, 12:32 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that is one intense corse! It would take me quit a few runs before I would be ok with my tire coming off the pavement. That and the thought of a blowout would freak me out.
Old 06-14-12, 05:12 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Originally Posted by rominl
3 more weeks before the race, this is getting very exciting!
Old 06-15-12, 07:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Q & A -> Interview with IS-F CCS-R Driver: Ken Gushi..!!

************************************************************************************************************

via Lexus News Magazine

6/14/2012 -
In just a few short weeks, Lexus’ IS F CCS-R racecar will enter the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, a grueling competition where drivers power up to the summit of Pikes Peak through more than 150 tight, steep turns, gaining nearly 5,000 feet of elevation along the way.

It’s no race for timid drivers, which is why we wanted to get to know the talented man behind the wheel for Lexus—pro-drifter Ken Gushi—who was more than happy to tell Lexus Enthusiast editor Kevin Watts what it takes to tackle this mountain:

Q: You’re no stranger to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb—back in 2007 you had quite an adventure.

A: Yes, it was my first Pikes Peak experience, and my dad was the co-driver. We competed in the Open class, and qualified third in the class. We were pretty excited to take on the hill, but on race day, about three miles into the climb, we miscalculated Engineer’s Corner at about 90 miles an hour and flew off the mountain.

Q: You came out of that unharmed?

A: A few sore muscles, but relatively unharmed. It was still low enough in elevation that the drop-off wasn’t too intense.

Q: You were the youngest driver ever in the D1 Grand Prix in Japan and the Formula Drift Championship in the USA—could you share some of your racing history?

A: My father taught me the basics of car control when I was 13.

Nothing like starting early...

Initially, the plan was to pursue a career in rally racing, but it was expensive. At the time, drifting was the new thing, so we started competing in the local drifting events in the L.A. region—just small scale private events where a bunch of locals would come out and practice. When I was about fifteen, I entered my first actual competition and finished in the top three. That’s when I figured we could make something out of this, so my dad invested the money to build me a better drift car. In 2005, I was picked up for my first major sponsorship deal.

Q: So then, how did this opportunity to race the Lexus IS F CCS-R come about?

A: When I was first approached, I didn’t know any details at the time, but I said that I would definitely love to do it—I wanted to tackle the mountain again after not finishing last time. I was told that Lexus wanted to use a drift driver to pilot the IS F CCS-R that was on its way from Japan, and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Q: Do you have a co-driver this time?

A: No, my plan is to go up a week before the race and do as many reconnaissance laps as I can. I want to memorize the road this time—the course has 156 corners, so I’ll be spending a lot of time driving.

Q: I know you had some practice runs this past weekend—what do you think about the car so far?

A: The car is really fun to drive—and you can definitely feel that some weight has been shaved off the stock IS F. The IS F CCS-R has more than 400 horsepower, but up the mountain in those high elevations, a driver can lose a lot of horsepower in the higher rpm range.

Q: How are you going to compensate for that?

A: We’re discussing the option of installing an air fuel controller to pull out some more horsepower, and maybe messing around with the gearing on the transmission.

Q: What are some of the other differences in the IS F CCS-R racecar?

A: The CCS-R of course feels like a racecar. The interior’s gutted with the roll cage and race instrument cluster, the exhaust note is completely different, and the seat position is different. But the interesting thing is that you can really see how much engineering work comes from the stock IS F—the shift feel, the power.

Q: Final question—what are your expectations for the race?

A: We’re competing in the exhibition class, and I can say we’re pretty confident that we’ll be first in our class.

That’s exactly the thing we all like to hear, best of luck to you in the race!

A: Thanks! The car feels great—I’m sure we’ll have a good time on the mountain.

—INTERVIEW BY KEVIN WATTS

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 06-15-12 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: The Wait is Over: Lexus ISF CCS-R Arrives in the USA (Live Pics & Video from PPIHC)