IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

redline shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 09:24 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im kinda mad that someone remembered that i had posted something so stupid about the same exact thing like over a year ago. But @1sWt2GS you sir have a very good memory.
Old 06-10-12, 09:25 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexsane
whats with all the hostility..
i thought no question was a stupid question...i guess i was wrong
i searched red-line shift and nothing came up
90% of the time when you start a thread you will get roasted... sometimes worse than others.
Old 06-10-12, 10:37 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Let Me Google That For You.....

^^^NOT SO HARD. Club Lexus should not be your only source for information.

The thing is is that manufactures will put things in place so that a few things don't happen...

1) you don't kill yourself
2) you don't kill the car, and then blame them

If the redline is set to 6800rpm...i bet you that you can run your car at 6800 rpm for a few minutes and your car will be fine...how long is your car going to last after wards is another story. Will there be any engine oil left afterwards, how much wear did you put on the car because of the excess heat? MOST LIKELY, I'm just taking a stab at it, but I bet when your car hits maybe 6 bars of oil temp, your car might cut out some way or another. Newer cars won't let you kill them. Older cars maybe.

There is so much testing that goes into the development of an engine for ANY CAR.

It's not that it's a stupid question, I think you just didn't present it very well. I think the moral of all this is to actually SEARCH...READ...INVESTIGATE. We're all car guys...some of us more than others. I've had a thing for cars all my life...and I'm always reading about them and working on them and not afraid to get my hands dirty. I wish I knew more...

Remember back in grade school....with the kid that ALWAYS raised his hands and asked the questions? One or two questions...no big deal....when it's question, after question, after question...you start to think...is this guy stupid?

Remember...it's like Science...You think of a problem, you create a hypothesis, you test your hypothesis and gather your data, present it to everyone for discussion. I think you'll get more positive feedback....you might have never even had to ask the question.

I don't know, maybe I just need to stop reading the forums so much. People posting "where do I place jack stands on my car", "i'm driving 115mph with my family in the car...they loved it"

All forums are so different. I own a 1990 BMW 325i and I'm apart of the BMW forums. Yeah there's lots of banter that goes back and forth between the BMW guys and the Lexus guys and the Audi guys and the Benz guys and blah blah blah...but just read more. You don't have to search JUST the Lexus forums...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=148

^^^Some of those guys are on there are HARDCORE. REALLLY REALLY REALLY smart car guys...They may drive cars that cost as much as some of the people here spend on their rims, but to me, they're a step above a lot of car enthusiasts. People may clown on their old cars, but a lot of people are starting to promote "BUILT NOT BOUGHT". Same with Honda Tech...a lot of people may clown on the "Honda boys" but there are a lot of really really smart people on there that know a ton about cars.

Long post short...just research, then ask, and don't just search Club Lexus either.

Last edited by Just F Me; 06-10-12 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-10-12, 10:55 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
Im kinda mad that someone remembered that i had posted something so stupid about the same exact thing like over a year ago. But @1sWt2GS you sir have a very good memory.
i actually didn't even know that you started that thread

i was looking through it for information about redline, and it had it so i posted it over
Old 06-11-12, 02:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

And at the end of the day, let's not beat people up for asking questions. If it makes sense, we'll just merge it into an existing thread. There's no need to be hostile about someone asking a question.

Sure, search is your friend, but I have to say, some of the smartest people I know don't search, they call someone they think knows the answer to their question because it's usually quicker.

Besides, if you smack the newbies around, you just might find out you missed out on something useful they know that you don't. I was 40 years old when my 3 year old son taught me how to put on a button up shirt without unbuttoning it all the way...sometimes thinking without limits will teach you something new.

To the OP: no you didn't hurt anything. Thank goodness for modern electronic controls isolating you from the ability to destroy your hardware by simply overlooking something like redline. It surely hasn't always been so kind or gentle in the automotive world!
Old 06-11-12, 03:19 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To quote Mr.Rodney King, “Can't we all just get along?“
Old 06-11-12, 03:27 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

sometimes its quicker to answer the question than to say "the search function is your friend".

Most cars are designed/programmed to have a rev limiter from the factory... this is to ensure you don't over rev the engine and blow it up. When I used to program ECU's (computers) for the honda guys, I would usually have to raise the rev limiter for those with built engines.
The following users liked this post:
Alex4GS (03-18-24)
Old 06-11-12, 04:28 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Your car will self destruct in 5...4...3.......2....

As people have already stated, your fine
Old 06-11-12, 04:43 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And at the end of the day, let's not beat people up for asking questions. If it makes sense, we'll just merge it into an existing thread. There's no need to be hostile about someone asking a question.

Sure, search is your friend, but I have to say, some of the smartest people I know don't search, they call someone they think knows the answer to their question because it's usually quicker.

Besides, if you smack the newbies around, you just might find out you missed out on something useful they know that you don't. I was 40 years old when my 3 year old son taught me how to put on a button up shirt without unbuttoning it all the way...sometimes thinking without limits will teach you something new.

To the OP: no you didn't hurt anything. Thank goodness for modern electronic controls isolating you from the ability to destroy your hardware by simply overlooking something like redline. It surely hasn't always been so kind or gentle in the automotive world!

Intrigued!! How do you put on a button up shirt without unbuttoning it all the way???
Old 06-11-12, 04:43 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Ultimately, in almost every forum, the questions start to cycle, often to the frustration of the participants.

There is an INCREDiBLE knowledge and skill level in Club Lexus. That is why so many are attracted to the forum.

If a question is posted that has been hammered to death in the past, simply say "search the archives" or selectively pass on the thread.

A little patience with newbies will go a long way, so consider cutting them a break.
Old 06-11-12, 06:32 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kramer
Intrigued!! How do you put on a button up shirt without unbuttoning it all the way???
I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 06-11-12, 06:37 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Just like your polo shirt , unbutton 2 or 3 top button and then put it on like your polo shirt over your head
Old 06-11-12, 06:39 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blitz_714
Just like your polo shirt , unbutton 2 or 3 top button and then put it on like your polo shirt over your head
i thought he meant without unbuttoning any buttons. I guess I read it wrong.
Old 06-11-12, 08:17 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
i thought he meant without unbuttoning any buttons. I guess I read it wrong.
not unbuttoning would work if you were a little on the slimmer i guess
Old 06-11-12, 09:17 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
not unbuttoning would work if you were a little on the slimmer i guess
or you're wearing a shirt that is way too big for you and you end up looking like a clown

Quick Reply: redline shift