IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F: Longest car I've owned...what to do with you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 09:08 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Man I've had my 91 MR2 for 14 years! Still only has 86000 miles on it and it's looking like it's going to get sold this weekend :'(. It's the first car that I ever had. It's going to a really sad day to see the mister get driven away.
Old 06-14-12, 09:16 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,985 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I've recently struggled with the same issue - sell the Supra I've had since 1997 or keep it. It's not an easy decision especially when you own one of the very few hardtop turbos and your wife says "I met you with that car, you can't sell it."

After my first ride in a GT3 at a Roebling Road track weekend, I was ready to sell...the wife's still not ready...
Old 06-14-12, 09:21 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

F and Cayman--it's like comparing grapes and oranges. Grab what satisfies your appetite.

If you are going Teutonic, I would seriously look at the Cayman R...one of Porsche's best handling cars at an attractive price. I consider the Cayman very seriously before getting the 2012 F. For me, it was the right choice.

In road handling test, the GT3 and Cayman R were almost too close to call. And if you take the two on a a back-road spin on a rainy day, the Cayman R will be the slightly faster and safer ride under these conditions.

With that said, if you want to explore buying a 2011 Turbo, I know where there might be an excellent deal for a super low mileage car in PA.
Old 06-14-12, 10:26 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

What year 911? Many 911 motors had problems with the intermediate shaft bearing going out and grenading the motor. Porsche is not bulletproof as many people think.

Edit: Saw you said 07/08 GT3. Those didn't have the issue (as neither did the previous 996 GT3's)
Old 06-14-12, 10:30 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
What year 911? Many 911 motors had problems with the intermediate shaft bearing going out and grenading the motor. Porsche is not bulletproof as many people think.
I'm looking at getting a 997 GT3, or a 2009 or up 911 S...bearing going out is what keeps me away from a 996, however, if you buy a 996, and you get a GT3, it's a completely different car. I'm leaning more towards a GT3

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've recently struggled with the same issue - sell the Supra I've had since 1997 or keep it. It's not an easy decision especially when you own one of the very few hardtop turbos and your wife says "I met you with that car, you can't sell it."

After my first ride in a GT3 at a Roebling Road track weekend, I was ready to sell...the wife's still not ready...
I'd say keep it...first car...hardtop AND turbo...keep it. That car will be ultra rare one day...hell it's rare now!

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Man I've had my 91 MR2 for 14 years! Still only has 86000 miles on it and it's looking like it's going to get sold this weekend :'(. It's the first car that I ever had. It's going to a really sad day to see the mister get driven away.
I'd say keep it too...old car, first car, you should keep it.
Old 06-14-12, 10:32 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I'm trying to resist the modding bug, I have for the year I've owned the F... but if I were you I'd mod it... that's what I plan to do when I get "tired" of the F
This only prolongs the inevitable...

Originally Posted by zapa
Get at GTR. we all know its the better car
^^^It's a Nissan....why would I want that? Getting that car is like a step down...the only step up is in performance. I was never really a true fan of the GT-R and i will never become a bandwagon fan of the car. The looks just don't do it for me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. GT3 or 911s in general I've always been in love with.
Old 06-14-12, 11:04 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I'm looking at getting a 997 GT3, or a 2009 or up 911 S...bearing going out is what keeps me away from a 996, however, if you buy a 996, and you get a GT3, it's a completely different car. I'm leaning more towards a GT3

I'd say keep it...first car...hardtop AND turbo...keep it. That car will be ultra rare one day...hell it's rare now!

I'd say keep it too...old car, first car, you should keep it.
My buddies 996 GT3 is a riot..like a street go kart. Its high revving fun.

It makes our cars look huge.

Old 06-14-12, 11:10 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

they do say GT3 is pretty much the closest thing you can get to a race car...hell it comes with a roll cage! What car from any other major manufacture does that? PURPOSE built.
Old 06-14-12, 02:44 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
^^^It's a Nissan....why would I want that? Getting that car is like a step down...the only step up is in performance. I was never really a true fan of the GT-R and i will never become a bandwagon fan of the car. The looks just don't do it for me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. GT3 or 911s in general I've always been in love with.
Thats too bad you don't like the nissan it really is a well built and is an absolute monster. However, the germans do make great cars one of my dads friends has a GT2 RS and that thing is by far the fastest car i have ever been in.

if you wanted to be a ***** you could get a ZR1 hahahaha.

but seriously Dodge Viper SRT 10 is a hell of a car. If i had to choose a car now thats what it would be. The thing looks so mean like its gonna eat you.

Last edited by zapa; 06-14-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 03:01 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zapa
Thats too bad you don't like the nissan it really is a well built and is an absolute monster. However, the germans do make great cars one of my dads friends has a GT2 RS and that thing is by far the fastest car i have ever been in.

if you wanted to be a ***** you could get a ZR1 hahahaha.

but seriously Dodge Viper SRT 10 is a hell of a car. If i had to choose a car now thats what it would be. The thing looks so mean like its gonna eat you.
You've been in a GT2 RS? Pics or it didn't happen! They only made like 500 of those cars and under 150 of them came state side and every car was already accounted for and considered "sold" before the microsite even went up on Porsche's website...

Yeah I know...the GT-R is built on a race car like jig, blah blah blah. In the end, I just don't have an interest in it. No matter how fast, nurburg ring time, blah blah blah blah blah best performance car for the dollar wah wah wah. Even if some how it was faster than a Bugatti Veyron. The car just doesn't do it for me. See how much I don't like it? LOL.

Why a ***** if I bought a ZR1? ZR1 is an amazing car and it's the only domestic car I'd ever buy...ZR1 or bust...none of this Grand Sport or Z06 non-sense. Viper....? Seriously? ::BARF::

I am afraid that if I sell the IS F...I'm going to regret it... What if one day it becomes a collector car like the E30 M3?! I would have given mine up! I know now a days it won't be the same considering the production numbers...racing heritage of the E30 M3....but still... Might be cool to have my first "high performance" car 25 years from now... UGH...I still don't know wtf to do

Last edited by Just F Me; 06-14-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 03:40 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Selling ur F will be like showering with former Penn St assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, the initial trauma will only get worse with years of therapy and haunting memories
Old 06-14-12, 03:45 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Selling ur F will be like showering with former Penn St assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, the initial trauma will only get worse with years of therapy and haunting memories
You just gave me unnecessary imagery lol
Old 06-18-12, 07:28 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Would you guys sell your IS F...drive a normal car for 2 years...so that you can get the car of your dreams?
Old 06-18-12, 08:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My gf said the same thing as Lance. She says that she never wants to see me sell the F because she knows how dedicated I am and how happy I get just being around the car. She became so frustrated when one of my friends leaked some info that I was planning to sell the car just to cover our engagement bands and wedding rings. A car is never just a car. There's history, a bond of sorts. My dream car was indeed an MK4 Supra, Imperial Jade Mica to be specific, and when I realized by the time I earned my license there would be slim pickings for ones that weren't abused on a track or completely beyond my price point, I decided to save up some more money for an F. Pushing hard in school and working a full-time job gave me the opportunity to have an IS F, one that I would do all over again even in these hard times. To me, you can't get much better in terms of a luxury sport sedan. Such a powerful ride with such comfort when driven- whether it becomes a collectible or not, only time will tell. All I know is that the F is here to stay, and Lexus is doing a fine job progressively making this a valid competitor against the likes of the M3s and C63s.