IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 ISF --- Dentist required?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 09:24 AM
BlkNotes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 ISF --- Dentist required?

2008 ISF-- Kidney destroyer?

I am considering an 2008 ISF. My concern is with the contraversial topic of suspension. Is the ride harsh or not? That seems to be the dilema.

In the Car & driver article half reviewers had a problem the others did not mention it. I think the discrepancy boils down to point of reference of the reviewer. If coming from an ls460 ,cadillac dts or mercedes sedan ( couch on wheels ) then I am sure the ISF would come off as harsh.

So it would help me a great deal if memebesr who have experience with the ISF and other vehicles could give their opinion as comparing the two.

I have experience with the gen I IS300, BMW 335i sport suspension, audi TT, 2003 Bmw M3, 300zx Acura TL 2008 & 2010. Porsche Cayenne T and a number of others.

I am leaning towards a more compliant ride. One that can be used as a daily driver and not drain ones energy by fighting with the car or being jarred around during a trip and feeling every pothole, railroad track or defects in the road.

If the ride is classified as Harsh how costly & easy is it to fix with suspension swapping? Can the ride be brought into the realm of compliant?

Thank-you for your help
Old 07-05-12, 09:33 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest a test drive since harshness is a matter of opinion. My grandmother thinks my car rides rough but my father thinks it rides perfect I think my GFs 09' TSX has a ride that is more harsh then the stock ISF.
Coilovers seem to help KW seems to be the softest and then BC Racing with a user selected spring rate.

I can see this thread going in ten different directions.
Just test drive the car and come to your own conclusion. It really doesn't matter what Bob in Idaho thinks about the ride of the car you'll be driving.
Old 07-05-12, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Yup test drive end of story. Course if you plan on upgrading the suspension anyway then it doesn't matter
Old 07-05-12, 10:51 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^True, the harsh ride of the F is a very subjective topic. But if you want my opinion, it rides harsher than the stock suspension on my 1998 Integra, but I don't really mind it. I took it on a road trip NY to Maryland and back in one day (4hrs each way) and was more comfortable than ever. My family even thinks it's extremely comfortable.

Go the coilover route as RCB mentioned (KWV3 or BC) if it's too harsh.
Old 07-05-12, 10:54 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u test drive an F u will immediately buy it. I thought i really liked the M3 sedan until i drove an F. There is nothing like the F and yes it has a pretty stiff ride but that is what makes it so unique, luxury yet somewhat raw old school muscle car. If u want a quiet pleasant soft ride then put on a nice earth tone sweater and khaki pants, grow an ironic beard and head to the Volvo dealer cause this car is prob not for u
Old 07-05-12, 11:09 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkNotes
2008 ISF-- Kidney destroyer?

I am considering an 2008 ISF. My concern is with the contraversial topic of suspension. Is the ride harsh or not? That seems to be the dilema.

In the Car & driver article half reviewers had a problem the others did not mention it. I think the discrepancy boils down to point of reference of the reviewer. If coming from an ls460 ,cadillac dts or mercedes sedan ( couch on wheels ) then I am sure the ISF would come off as harsh.

So it would help me a great deal if memebesr who have experience with the ISF and other vehicles could give their opinion as comparing the two.

I have experience with the gen I IS300, BMW 335i sport suspension, audi TT, 2003 Bmw M3, 300zx Acura TL 2008 & 2010. Porsche Cayenne T and a number of others.

I am leaning towards a more compliant ride. One that can be used as a daily driver and not drain ones energy by fighting with the car or being jarred around during a trip and feeling every pothole, railroad track or defects in the road.

If the ride is classified as Harsh how costly & easy is it to fix with suspension swapping? Can the ride be brought into the realm of compliant?

Thank-you for your help
Here is the comparison:
I moved to ISF from STI, My STI was really stiff I could count the pebbles on the road. Comparing 2008 with 2011, 2008 is way stiff, 2011 the suspension is better but not as soft as other cars. For sports cars you will find a tuned suspension no matter what. I was driving my wife's GX for a week and after driving my 2011 ISF I immediately felt the stiffness in suspension. As someone has said that the suspension stiffness is relative for me if I am carrying my grandparents or my parents i will take them in the GX, all others in the ISF.

I will not recommend swapping the suspension if you want to do that then you need to get a ES or a GS there is no point in getting a ISF and making it a ES.
Old 07-05-12, 11:10 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrd916
If u test drive an F u will immediately buy it. I thought i really liked the M3 sedan until i drove an F. There is nothing like the F and yes it has a pretty stiff ride but that is what makes it so unique, luxury yet somewhat raw old school muscle car. If u want a quiet pleasant soft ride then put on a nice earth tone sweater and khaki pants, grow an ironic beard and head to the Volvo dealer cause this car is prob not for u
what's an ironic beard?
Old 07-05-12, 11:30 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My '08 rode as rough as a cob. It was OK for short hops around town but I would never consider taking it on a road trip unless I wore a kidney belt.
Old 07-05-12, 11:50 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have said, do a test drive for yourself and see. Everybody's tolerance for "harsh" will be a bit different, hence the varying reviews you see on C&D.

I was considering getting a 2008, but felt the suspension had a bit too much bounce. I then drove a 2011 to see if the updated suspension was all that different...I could tell right away that the ride was much more compliant.
Old 07-05-12, 11:55 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I think a good part of the harsh/not so harsh debate needs to focus on the roads that you plan on driving. Overall, yes the car is pretty stiff. But consider the roads that you will be using it on. For me, my drive mostly involves freeway driving on a relatively good surface. Very rarely do I feel the need to notice the stiffness of the suspension. On the other hand, when I drive through the city and its pot-hole-ridden streets, I definitely slow down and try to take it easy.
Old 07-05-12, 12:26 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting KWs on the ISF does not make it close to an ES or GS in anyway.
Old 07-05-12, 12:51 PM
BlkNotes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank-you for the replies so far it is giving me some incite.

For those who recommend I drive it, that is what I would have done and answered my own question, but the nearest car is 4 hrs round trip. So I wanted to avoid having to do so and scratch the car from my considered vehicles if the ride is to harsh.

A dealer told me that the ISF is stiffer then an IS250. He told me that the IS300 & IS250 were very close in ride quality. I am very familiar with the IS300 and I personally found the is250 I drove to be more harsh. Not sure if the sport pkg adds a differnet suspension as compared to the standard is250. Perhaps tire type played a roll.

I don't expect a luxury car cushioned ride, but I don't think I would be pleased with lossing fillings every time I drive to and from work , or hear large/thuds thumps from the suspension when going over railroad tracks or expansion joints on the highway

Cheers
Old 07-05-12, 12:52 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm driving in the Boston area.... Picture Baghdad after a bombing. I don't consider my 08' to be overly harsh. The trade off of comfort to performance is balanced.
Old 07-05-12, 01:03 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

compared to my S2000's and my 911 with X73 suspension package the '08 ISF is a dream to drive. I love the ride quality and have had no complaints from any passengers. This is not a boy racer car and certainly not a couch either. I do not think you can make any ride quality comparisons to the ISx50 vehicles as the vehicle weight difference make a big difference in how they ride. It is really quite bizarre how different the same basic chassis can be but the loaner IS250's I get just seem tinny compared to my ISF.
Old 07-05-12, 01:32 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ISF truly has a dual personality... stiff enough suspension to handle extremely well on the track, but soft enough to be driven daily, as many members here do.

Quick Reply: 2008 ISF --- Dentist required?