Old 07-17-12, 09:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSS
well good then, whoever gets that isf is gonna be a very lucky owner
That all depends.

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
Its still overpriced when many people on here with bolt-ons are getting better times at the track. And if he did such a great job, why is there only one IS-F with this kit? Also what happens later on when something goes wrong with the car and they live nowhere near this guys shop? That car also would not pass a visual smog check when they look under the hood.
Exactly. This isn't the car for someone looking for turnkey performance. It's the car for someone not averse to tuning, tinkering, tweaking, and figuring out how to get this thing to hook up. The track times are more than likely traction limited. The MPH speaks for itself - the car is wicked fast. But if you're not comfortable with tweaking the MoTEC and dealing with whatever issues may pop up as a result of the modifications, it's not the car for you.
Old 07-17-12, 10:07 AM
sndeffects
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else thinks its odd to have some unknown Motec computer and a split second ecu on this car with the factory ecu?

There are only a couple pictures of the turbo kit which raises questions of what was actually done to the car.
Old 07-17-12, 10:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by sndeffects
Anyone else thinks its odd to have some unknown Motec computer and a split second ecu on this car with the factory ecu?

There are only a couple pictures of the turbo kit which raises questions of what was actually done to the car.
No. I know Wayne Potts and his work. Not strange at all. Just not for the average backyard tinkerer. It isn't possible to make the car work without the OEM ECM. You might be able to make the engine work with an aftermarket setup, but the rest of the car will be seriously problematic.
Old 07-17-12, 12:56 PM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sndeffects

This is actually very common on cars that require full canbus based ECU's for body control, the people who do it RIGHT anyway use some type of "stand alone" configured in a piggy back model, and leave the body control and AC and things like that to the stock ECU.

There are some cheaper alternatives, some will just oftp for a fuel controller and boost controller (this is seen in UGR's lambos pretty often unless the owner pays for the upgrade motec option)

Not odd at all - and is frankly the only way you're going to tune an ISF, or any other toyota for that matter. This is the reason why supra guys go stand alone - stock ECU's are not crackable and tunable - the difference is that the supra doesn't require a stock ECU to control AC and such, it's all mechanical.
Old 07-17-12, 12:59 PM
zmw
Rookie

Its still overpriced when many people on here with bolt-ons are getting better times at the track. And if he did such a great job, why is there only one IS-F with this kit? Also what happens later on when something goes wrong with the car and they live nowhere near this guys shop? That car also would not pass a visual smog check when they look under the hood.
You do realize that ET has absolutely NOTHING To do with power and is all about track hookup and prep? I mean my supra will run 12.80's and trap 149mph on street tires. The best mod MOST of you could buy would be some R compounds or drag radials....

I would say at 122 mph trap it's likely a low 500whp car though... if it were truly 600 to the tire it should be trapping low low 130s or super high 120s.
Old 07-17-12, 01:03 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They also claimed the car put down 413whp stock. Must have been a very high reading Dyno. I haven't seen anyone else put down that kinda power stock..
Old 07-17-12, 01:10 PM
zmw
Rookie

They also claimed the car put down 413whp stock. Must have been a very high reading Dyno. I haven't seen anyone else put down that kinda power stock..
Yeah I mean keep in mind dyno's are only as good as their relative location... and should only be compared to the same dyno under the same conditions... I don't know what the ISF reads stock on a mustang dyno, but dynojets tend to read a tiny bit higher, and in houston you are absolute 0 feet above sea level, which on a high compression NA car makes a big difference.

413 doesn't sound too terribly high to me, and could simply be it was dynod in the morning during a cold day in january - I can tell you from experience that my car will fluctuate 100-150 hp on the dyno between january and august - but on the street with air flowing through the intercooler the performance difference is much smaller than the dyno would indicate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that car is necessary as well prepped as they make it sound, just saying that the 413whp dyno doesn't seem completely out of line to me.
Old 07-17-12, 01:51 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock for an ISF would be ~360whp. 413whp would be normal with mods. Maybe they purposely left out that the car has headers and exhaust?
Old 07-17-12, 01:59 PM
zmw
Rookie

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Stock for an ISF would be ~360whp. 413whp would be normal with mods. Maybe they purposely left out that the car has headers and exhaust?
I would think that would be obvious in light of the fact it has twin turbos - which is literally not possible without headers and exhaust ;P
Old 07-17-12, 07:37 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you read about the car?? ^^^

"Car was purchased new and went to dyno at 600 miles and tested @ 413 HP. It then went into an extensive 60k performance upgrade by Bob Norwood .The car is 48 states EPA legal and runs through stock cats and muffler’s. It runs the stock direct injection and stock computers for factory drivability and gas milage. Motec ECU and Split Second computers manage boosted fuel and ignition timing. Car was tested for one Lap of America Racing. Has new tires and front brake Pads."
Old 10-22-12, 05:42 AM
rapsquared
Driver

i will be going to look at this car on Tuesday as a local dealership just picked it up. I will keep you guys updated and take pics!
Old 10-22-12, 12:49 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rapsquared
i will be going to look at this car on Tuesday as a local dealership just picked it up. I will keep you guys updated and take pics!
looking to buy, or looking for amusement? i'm curious to know how much they're asking, and to see pictures, since the eBay listing doesn't show up anymore.

good luck!
Old 10-22-12, 06:24 PM
rapsquared
Driver

Buying is a long shot, unless they got it cheap enough to talk me into it.
Old 10-23-12, 05:28 PM
rapsquared
Driver

Old 10-23-12, 05:29 PM
rapsquared
Driver

I will be taking it to the Dyno Saturday and checking AFR and Boost since it has no gauges I will report back with the results

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo in TX