IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F-Sport rear sway bar for MY 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 11:48 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I complied this chart about three years ago when I put on my F-Sport rear bar. I used Lexus parts information and actually crawled under a number of ISs to be sure that the chart is accurate. You can see by the chart that the F-Sport rear bar is bigger by 2mm as indicated above and the front bar is the same OD as the stock ISF bar.

As far as it working, You can doubt all you want, but it did make a difference I could feel. Your right numbers don't lie, and the chart proves that. And as far as the change being "all mental", you're the only one here who has expressed that opinion, and you have no experience to back up that statement

Lou
I didnt know the spec of the bars which is why I asked.
In reference to the other statements - I dont know about any real applicable difference tho...maybe if you track the car or have the car professionally tested to document these numbers of changing this rear bar to the F-sport bar .

You all could be right technically and Im not saying you're not - if they car were to be pushed to limits and tested then modified with this REAR bar only change and then tested again .

but Im saying ...people say they "feel" differences all the time...pop in intakes and say they feel the difference or put an exhaust in and all of a sudden "feel" a difference..Im questioning whether or not an actual difference is felt in the kind of spirited street driving many of us do with this car. For those that track the car---I'd like to hear from them.
No offense - just saying --people say they feel differences putting in a Joe Z tube - LOL
Old 07-10-12, 08:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^NYCES3 you're right, the best performance mods are made to the driver, however minor improvements like sway bars and suspension can be felt during spirited driving by testing body roll by taking sharp turns or switching lanes quickly.
Old 07-12-12, 05:19 PM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a fair price to pay for an install?
Old 07-18-12, 05:55 PM
Super6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid $120 (1 hour of labor) for the install today.
Old 07-19-12, 04:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys all think you're smarter than Lexus after they improved the lap time at the Lightning Lap of VIR by 14 seconds with the changes to the 2011 and 2012 models. Really, you're going to bolt on a bigger sway bar and the car will be faster? Don't you think Lexus would have done that already with the other changes they made?

Suspension is a symphony and changing any one instrument impacts the performance of the entire system. I would approach this with great caution considering the vast improvements made in the 2011 and 2012 models. Stiffer is NOT always better, just as lower is NOT always better.

Right now the only thing I can see changing on a 2011 or 2012 without any hesitation are the LCA bushings.
Old 07-19-12, 07:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,356 Posts

^^^^Lance, really Unless you have tried one and made an A/B comparison you really can't make such a statement IMHO. As I have said, I have one on my '08, and there is a difference. Night and Day, no. But the car corners flatter and stays put better with my rear bar and more so with my wider Bridgestones. As far as the improved lap times, as I recall, much of that was attributed to the differential change. As much as I respect you and your opinions, and believe me I do. Please take a wee bit of time and reexamine your position on this.

Lou
Old 07-19-12, 08:29 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ehhh Just get the sway bar - Its Blue , looks cool , and its thicker (as mentioned) above, and judging from all the opinions in this thread---No one says that particular mod made the car handle worse.

Its not a $2000 part - so what the hell----lol
its always fun to mod anyways....

and its an F-Sport part so the dealer wont try the normal BS if anything were to happen and u have to take it in for some suspension service

Long live the F!!
Old 07-19-12, 05:45 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with sikky and dont look back... I am on much wider tires than stock, i have it set on a race setting and love it... 147% stiffer than stock. the car handles much better at speed and deffinatly turns flater

Last edited by darbs242; 07-19-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 03:56 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys all think you're smarter than Lexus after they improved the lap time at the Lightning Lap of VIR by 14 seconds with the changes to the 2011 and 2012 models. Really, you're going to bolt on a bigger sway bar and the car will be faster? Don't you think Lexus would have done that already with the other changes they made?

Suspension is a symphony and changing any one instrument impacts the performance of the entire system. I would approach this with great caution considering the vast improvements made in the 2011 and 2012 models. Stiffer is NOT always better, just as lower is NOT always better.

Right now the only thing I can see changing on a 2011 or 2012 without any hesitation are the LCA bushings.
so are you saying with the upgraded suspension of the 2011/2012 isf adding a fsport sway bar (rear) would not improve handling? ppl have said pre upgraded suspension it makes a big difference...im asking because I will be upgrading to an F in maybe a year or so, debating on what year model to go with
Old 07-20-12, 10:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Lance, really Unless you have tried one and made an A/B comparison you really can't make such a statement IMHO. As I have said, I have one on my '08, and there is a difference. Night and Day, no. But the car corners flatter and stays put better with my rear bar and more so with my wider Bridgestones. As far as the improved lap times, as I recall, much of that was attributed to the differential change. As much as I respect you and your opinions, and believe me I do. Please take a wee bit of time and reexamine your position on this.

Lou
Originally Posted by Phresh2010
so are you saying with the upgraded suspension of the 2011/2012 isf adding a fsport sway bar (rear) would not improve handling? ppl have said pre upgraded suspension it makes a big difference...im asking because I will be upgrading to an F in maybe a year or so, debating on what year model to go with
Reduced body roll =! performance. Performance is measured with a watch on a course. Stiff =! better. You might LIKE it better, but it doesn't mean the car performs better. Witness how many people lower their cars, claim better performance, but can't post numbers as quick as a completely stock unit does on the same course.

BMW sells their cars because people like how they feel. That's great for marketing, but we all know the 2012 F laps VIR quicker than the M3, so why should I give a rat's behind about feel when it doesn't make the car any quicker or faster? I had a discussion with a race car suspension tuner on a flight one time and I asked him if he tuned the car to make it easier to drive. He said "Hell NO! I tune the car to go faster. It's the driver's job to take advantage of what I've done to make the car go faster. I couldn't care less if it's hard to drive, that's his job!"

So, if you want the car to feel different, especially with a suspension Lexus really worked hard to make good from the factory, change the bar. But don't call it better performing. I really doubt it if we measured it, the results would support putting a stiffer rear bar in the car.

There is nothing more frustrating than chassis tuning. I spent a season with a mini-sprint team and learned more about chassis tuning than I care to remember. It's really NOT easy at all.
Old 07-20-12, 12:53 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

With all due respect to each own's opinions...

I feel some are over looking something. The IS F is NOT a race car, it is a production car. It is a production car that is LOADED with nanny's and "protections" placed by Toyota/Lexus lawyers. When building a performance car that is available for sale to the masses of untrained drivers that "think" they are race car drivers there is (in my experience) a certain amount of "dialed back" performance. I am of the opinion that Lexus has intentionally engineered under steer into the IS F as a "safety" feature to keep drivers out of trouble. I have seen this time and time again from other manufacturers. Examples: my 2000 Honda S2000 had significantly more neutral to over steer characteristics that was dramatically dialed back in my 2004 after there were a significant number of reported accidents where S2000s liked to swap ends. My 2004 Porsche 911 was a wallowing, under steering pig until I installed the x-74 suspension upgrade (available from Porsche). There are many examples of engineered high performance cars that have aftermarket sold by the manufacture to improve on what some may already consider the "absolute" example of a vehicle.

Building a production car is balancing act of compromise based on performance, ride quality, cost and safety. I believe the IS F of 2008 meet the needs of Lexus and the market at the time, and deserved the improvements to the suspension in 2011. However there is always room to make "improvements" (in the eye of the beholder) beyond the manufactures choice while shifting compromises.

These post is in noway meant to negate that suspension tuning is a bit of an art from and has to do with how parts work together, changing one part will not transform a system. It is also not meant to negate that lap times are lower with the newer cars. I simply mean to point out that in production cars, compromises are made and owners can shift them a bit to cater to their needs.

For reference I have the F-sport bar in stalled on my car (for 2.5 years) after driving the car stock for a year. I prefer the feel of the rear bar and handling characteristics. I cannot comment on lap times, I have not done those comparisons (or am I qualified to do so). Under steer has been reduced.
Old 11-12-12, 11:33 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Can anyone provide me with a feedback on the ride quality after the installation. I detail please. Is the car more bouncy, less forgiving over the rough roads? What I am trying to say......wife approved?
Old 11-12-12, 11:38 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Ride quality is nearly unchanged. My wife never noticed it. the only time you might notice it is if you hit a deep pothole on one side only and the stiffer bar transfers more of the shock to the other side. No change in bounce or "roughness".
Old 11-12-12, 11:44 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

U cant really tell by daily driving , u can however during spirit driving, canyon driving, or track turning at high speed. Then u can tell a noticeable different also wider tires helps too u can see check out those videos from the trips we took to Lake Cuyamaca . The new member infront of me, his F was bone stock and he got all over the place lolz to the other side of the roads lolz.
Old 11-12-12, 06:58 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

Thank you for your feedback, I am going to widen the tires as well.
More feedback........anyone?

Quick Reply: F-Sport rear sway bar for MY 2010?