IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F-Sport rear sway bar for MY 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 09:38 AM
mercurymet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lobux,

I am thinking about getting bushings. Will the bushings make the steering feel more precise or just improve tire wear?

Thanks

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm still trying to figure out how you guys all think you're smarter than Lexus after they improved the lap time at the Lightning Lap of VIR by 14 seconds with the changes to the 2011 and 2012 models. Really, you're going to bolt on a bigger sway bar and the car will be faster? Don't you think Lexus would have done that already with the other changes they made?

Suspension is a symphony and changing any one instrument impacts the performance of the entire system. I would approach this with great caution considering the vast improvements made in the 2011 and 2012 models. Stiffer is NOT always better, just as lower is NOT always better.

Right now the only thing I can see changing on a 2011 or 2012 without any hesitation are the LCA bushings.
Old 11-13-12, 05:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by mercurymet
Lobux,

I am thinking about getting bushings. Will the bushings make the steering feel more precise or just improve tire wear?

Thanks
I'm not able to speak to it from experience just yet, but it should do both. The only possible downside is the car won't trail brake into turns as nicely as it does with the stock bushings. But even that, I can't speak to because I haven't put bushings in my car yet. I'm still waiting for the NVH report on the solid bushings as I know they'll definitely be best for handling.
Old 11-13-12, 10:42 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm not able to speak to it from experience just yet, but it should do both. The only possible downside is the car won't trail brake into turns as nicely as it does with the stock bushings. But even that, I can't speak to because I haven't put bushings in my car yet. I'm still waiting for the NVH report on the solid bushings as I know they'll definitely be best for handling.
Are you talking about polyurethane bushings? If yes, these are definitely for non-daily driver car.
I completely ruined my Eclipse. I had sweet setup Koni Yellows, Eibachs, DC sport strut tower bars front and back, thicker sway bars .........sweetest setup, than I swaped the bushings (energy suspension) , the car became so glued to the road = so insanely bouncy it was unbearable. Even my adjustable Koni's were useless. I guess the only happy ending was I traded my Eclipse for my 2010 ISF
Old 11-14-12, 07:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,356 Posts

The bushings that come with the rear F-Sport bar are described by Lexus as:

The bars are finished in F-Sport blue and come with high durometer replacement rubber bushings that are harder than the OE bushings so there's less deflection at the bushing mount.
As I have said in a previous post, I have the F-Sport bar and on installation I noticed that the bushings were in fact harder than the stock bushings.

I also have the 245/285 tire setup (Bridgestone S-04 Potenza Pole Position) and with this setup I have virtually no understeer. My bar has been on three and a half years now, and it aint goin' nowhere. It was one of my better decisions

Lou
Old 11-14-12, 02:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The bushings that come with the rear F-Sport bar are described by Lexus as:

As I have said in a previous post, I have the F-Sport bar and on installation I noticed that the bushings were in fact harder than the stock bushings.

I also have the 245/285 tire setup (Bridgestone S-04 Potenza Pole Position) and with this setup I have virtually no understeer. My bar has been on three and a half years now, and it aint goin' nowhere. It was one of my better decisions

Lou
Not those bushings. The rear LCA bushings in the front is what I was talking about.
Old 11-14-12, 03:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,356 Posts

^^^^Oh

Lou
Old 11-14-12, 08:20 PM
mercurymet
Driver

Lobux,

Thanks for your input. What are your thoughts on the ride becoming too bouncy? My car is my DD.

"Are you talking about polyurethane bushings? If yes, these are definitely for non-daily driver car.
I completely ruined my Eclipse. I had sweet setup Koni Yellows, Eibachs, DC sport strut tower bars front and back, thicker sway bars .........sweetest setup, than I swaped the bushings (energy suspension) , the car became so glued to the road = so insanely bouncy it was unbearable. Even my adjustable Koni's were useless. I guess the only happy ending was I traded my Eclipse for my 2010 ISF "

Old 11-14-12, 10:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's a symphony. Saying the Konis would not accommodate just means the change was bigger than their ability to adjust. The reality is, damping isn't the fix for suspension, it's a band-aid if your spring rates are too low. Removing the rubber bushing compliance just means you have to re-calculate everything.
Old 11-16-12, 09:27 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

It's a symphony. Saying the Konis would not accommodate just means the change was bigger than their ability to adjust. The reality is, damping isn't the fix for suspension, it's a band-aid if your spring rates are too low. Removing the rubber bushing compliance just means you have to re-calculate everything.
Spring rate was never too low. I had Eibachs over adjustable Konis. I could of adjust my suspension from confort to track. When you instal the polyurethane bushings, there is no room for forgiveness in the ride. The car was literally glued to the road, You feel it in your stomach like the car is taking a free-dive everytime the road is not flowless. If there is a slight drop in the surface of the road, the cars pulls you dawn, UNBEARABLE. I ended up with two adjustments soft=bouncy like an old sofa or stiff=bone crashing ride.I believe that is the reason polyurathane or even solid bushings are for track only. They might be advertised for street, don't let anyone fool you. Maybe for Autobahn, not for roads of California.
Old 06-13-13, 05:45 AM
s2kmr
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I complied this chart about three years ago when I put on my F-Sport rear bar. I used Lexus parts information and actually crawled under a number of ISs to be sure that the chart is accurate. You can see by the chart that the F-Sport rear bar is bigger by 2mm as indicated above and the front bar is the same OD as the stock ISF bar.

As far as it working, You can doubt all you want, but it did make a difference I could feel. Your right numbers don't lie, and the chart proves that. And as far as the change being "all mental", you're the only one here who has expressed that opinion, and you have no experience to back up that statement

Lou
This what I was looking for. Thanks.