IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2013 f

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 03:49 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 f

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but my buddy is thinking about getting rid of his Audi A7 in the fall for either an S7 or a new F. Does anyone know when the 2013 F will come out and any possible differences than the 2012? I know the big model change will be in a couple years and he should prob wait but he isn't concerned, he is type that will just trade it for whatever is newest anyway
Old 07-08-12, 07:31 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next IS has been shrouded in mystery for some time now. Everyone knows there'll be a new one soon, but we've had no idea what it'll be like. Now we've got word that next IS will be a completely new car. So expect a revolutionary IS come 2014, not just a revision.

Autoguide spoke to marketing manager Peter Evans from Lexus Australia, concerning the fate of the IS. He admitted that "When you're a challenger brand and you're number four [in sales], you can't afford to be evolutionary." That leads us to believe the new IS will, at least, be a completely new model. Ketan Renade, Lexus product planner for the ES and LS has also admitted that "the IS doesn't have to play a comfort role for us." I don't know about you, but that sounds like a new sporty car to me.

As it stands, Lexus has several new platforms for a sporty sedan. They could use a stretched version of the FR-S platform for a four door coupe, a la the CLS. Or, they could simply build the new is on the current chassis, for a legitimate coupe. Naturally, I would expect for Lexus to call that and SC-somethingortheother, but it could well be the case.

There's also the recently announced partnership with BMW to take into account. They haven't agreed to platform sharing outside of the power-train, but whose to say that won't change? They've also already admitted to developing the architecture and components for a sports vehicle. We definitely won't see a IS built on the three series platform, but they might share some tech. Who knows?

Here is the article from the cars-rumors page on club lexus.. some folks have said the next IS is in the early mule stages of redesign. No one knows for sure because Lexus is always hush-hush until right before they unveil new models. I don't think they are going to do much to current IS-F. The next 3rd generation IS will probably come out middle or end of next year as a 2014 model and a 2nd generation F possibly in coupe form as well could drop 6 months or up to a year after. Cross your fingers and hope that they don't ruin the aesthetics of a beautiful car like Acura did..they ruined the TL in my opinion.
Old 07-08-12, 10:41 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From my personal crystal ball (speculation):

2013 will see very mild changes (if any) to the carryover IS-F and IS-C. It will be essentially an "off" year for the regular sedan just like 2012 is for the GS.

3rd generation IS sedan to be unveiled later this year in concept form, in dealers early 2013 as a 2014 model. Then likely a hybrid model to go along with it. Late 2013 will see the release of the redesigned IS-F and IS Coupe as 2014 models, and depending on the popularity of the coupe in 2014, possibly the next IS-C (convertible) is released for 2015.

Also in my mind, a 2014/2015 IS-F coupe is practically a given. (Especially when seeing what the competition is doing already)
Old 07-09-12, 12:09 AM
gtrnaisf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theyre probably wont be much changes on the 2013 from the 2012. if they are making a whole new design than not much of a difference between 2013 and 2012