IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS-F owner here. Couple of pics, couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 07:08 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default New IS-F owner here. Couple of pics, couple of questions.

So, to make a long story short, after shopping, test driving and extensive online research, I am the happy new owner of a 2009 Obsidian IS-F! I needed a car that could give me the fun of my turbocharged S2000 plus the reliability, convenience, and 4-doors of my Acura TSX... and the IS-F does all of that in one package.

I was looking for a 2010 or 2011 at first, but this car hit all of my criteria with the mileage and color combo that I wanted, and for a few grand less than I was going to spend, so I've got a little pocket change to make this car my own right away. In over 15 years of driving and 8 different cars, I don't think I've ever not changed something, and I have a very specific list for this one. 3 quick questions for the masses:

-I'm looking to stick with 19" wheels, and I don't want to do ANY fender work at all. I'm on the fence about lowering the car for now. Assuming I get some BC or KW coilovers, what is the maximum width and offset I can run without rubbing on a very conservative drop (ie: not slammed, just something to take a little wheel gap out of the front)? Pretty close to the 19x8 +45 19x9 +55 combo already on the car?

-I've got the wheel choice pretty much narrowed to Volk GT30s. Any recommendation for trustworthy and fast shipping vendors?

-iPod connectivity... this is one thing admittedly I did not research. Not that I would have gotten a different car, but I'm disappointed to find the 09 doesn't have iPod integration. What are my options here for something that works well without sounding like crap?

Thanks for any advice on the above. I know, I know... use the search function. I did, but not well obviously. If someone wants to link me to a thread or two rather than retyping an answer here, that's cool.

Here's a couple pics of the new ride (it was shiny and waxed yesterday, then I drove through an unexpected thunderstorm so it got dirty... the fun of owning a black car!)

Old 07-15-12, 07:45 AM
rapsquared
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a black one is awesome for the 20 minutes its clean after a wash

As far as IPOD goes look at vaistech products/
Old 07-15-12, 08:20 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by rapsquared
Having a black one is awesome for the 20 minutes its clean after a wash

As far as IPOD goes look at vaistech products/
This is my 2nd black car. My first gave me the most fits, but it was also the nicest when clean. I've had a string of white cars with a gray one thrown in the mix. I specifically looked for an Obsidian IS-F, and I knew what I was getting in to, though I'm not happy about the rainstorm, lol.
Old 07-16-12, 02:49 AM
Valkirk
Driver

Car looks great!!!! Very nice and superb condition.

You would have been in luck with the 2010 as it got the new NAV with good iPod support. Still should be sorted with a 3rd party add on though,
Old 07-16-12, 03:09 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your new ride! The Vaistech ML+ would be a good solution that would be appropriate. I used to own and '08 with Mark Levinson and went through a string of their products including the recently discontinued SL2iC with varying levels of satisfaction. Good luck!
Old 07-16-12, 04:45 AM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. It so funny to see another s2k owner, seems like everyone is going from s2k to IS-F. I also use to own a turbo'd s2.
Old 07-16-12, 06:00 AM
ToooZeRo
Rookie

Looks very sharp. I am also looking into purchasing an IS-F in the near future; was wondering if you have any advice specifically to purchasing the IS-F. Anything you were looking out for.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-12, 06:11 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!!! i too had own 3 s2000 in the past and my last one was turbo as well.. lol
Old 07-16-12, 07:21 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by boostftw
Congrats on the new ride. It so funny to see another s2k owner, seems like everyone is going from s2k to IS-F. I also use to own a turbo'd s2.
Originally Posted by obby
Welcome!!! i too had own 3 s2000 in the past and my last one was turbo as well.. lol
Nice to see a few prior turbo S2000 owners on here. I guess we all needed more space! That was my 2nd S2000 too.

I was willing to wait another 6 months or so to make the jump, but I was able to get virtually ALL of the money I put into my S back out of it by parting the big parts and selling the car. In fact, after 3 years of ownership I actually sold the car for a little more than I paid for it, so that with the parts gave me a very nice chunk of change in hand and I made the move to the IS-F. What a fun car!

Last edited by vbb; 07-16-12 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:29 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by ToooZeRo
Looks very sharp. I am also looking into purchasing an IS-F in the near future; was wondering if you have any advice specifically to purchasing the IS-F. Anything you were looking out for.

Thanks!
I was looking out for a whole host of things, but most related to color, mileage, condition, options and price. At first I wanted a 2011 due to the suspension upgrades, but couldn't find one in the color that I wanted anywhere within 500 miles of here for the price I was willing to spend (around $50K). Since I probably won't track this car and probably will put aftermarket coilovers on it at some point, the suspension upgrades weren't a make-or-break for me. Plus, I like the interior and dash of the 08-10 better than the 11 anyway.

I searched high and low and finally found this 09 with 13K miles that was in immaculate condition. It was fully loaded, the color I wanted and everything, so I bought it. I figured that getting a car a year or so older than I originally was hoping for didn't much matter on such a pristine car. Plus, I saved a few thousand off of what I was going to spend, so now I've got some room to do a mod or two!

One of the reasons I went with the IS-F vs. a few other cars I was looking at (M3, S4, CTSV) was the fact that it has the Toyota/Lexus reliability angle. That and an extended warranty give me peace of mind to own this car. Good luck with your search!
Old 07-16-12, 08:11 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
One of the reasons I went with the IS-F vs. a few other cars I was looking at (M3, S4, CTSV) was the fact that it has the Toyota/Lexus reliability angle. That and an extended warranty give me peace of mind to own this car. Good luck with your search!
Exactly why I chose the F over the others. Exclusivity as well, ISF's are such a rare sight. It seems a lot of us came from Honda/Acura since we were looking for a Japanese manufactured car that has 400+ HP out of the factory, the ISF is the perfect fit. That's probably also why a lot of F owners migrate to the GTR, as one of my buddies just did. As expected, Lexus ended up on top of the reliability report below... although as long as Porsche is a close 2nd in reliability, I think a Porsche 997 GT3 is in my future

Old 07-16-12, 09:10 AM
vbb

Yep. It doesn't matter how fun the car is if it is always in the shop. I had a BMW 335i that was fun and fast, but I also had a lot of trouble with the high pressure fuel pump issues that a lot of the 1st gen cars had. Everything was covered under warranty and I always got a loaner car, but I was up at the service dept far more than I would have hoped for a car that was basically new. Though I understand the M3 doesn't have the same problems as the 335i did, the whole experience kinda left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Save a few clunkers I drove when I was still a student, every car I've had since the BMW was been made by Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus. Never had an unscheduled maintenance problem with any of them.
Old 07-16-12, 12:37 PM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boostftw
Sooo true! I traded in my S2000 to get my IS-F back in 2009.
Old 07-16-12, 01:09 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the F. For conservative 19" wheels, I will go with 19x8.5 +35 Front and 19x9.5 +45 rear. That's pretty conservative though.
Old 07-16-12, 04:26 PM
vbb

One more pic, this time after tint, clear bra and a light wash (though you can hardly see the tint in the pic)

Quick Reply: New IS-F owner here. Couple of pics, couple of questions.