IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Current ISF owners: What's your next car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 10:09 AM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

porsche gt3 2014..

Old 06-18-13, 10:30 AM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts

Either a lot of people in this thread are very wealthy already, or a lot of people are planning on being very wealthy by the time they are ready to get another car.

Everyone has a different tolerance level for debt or what they will spend on a depreciating asset. I certainly don't look at cars as investments, but the only way I could stomach paying $100K+ on a car (which is where a lot of these exotics that are posted would fall) is if I had that in cash or if I had no other bills. I'm an attorney and my wife is an account manager at a marketing firm, so we do well, but right now, with two kids, a mortgage, savings, investments and general fun spending I can't justify the car payment it would take for me to jump into a Lamborghini or other similar exotic.

The hope is that Lexus releases another 4-door sports sedan in the future (something like a GS-F) and I can pick up a used one after they've been out a year or two. I like the whole 4-doors, luxury, reliability, and sports car rolled in to one package that the current IS-F offers.
Old 06-18-13, 10:48 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True story Kevin......I love everything the ISF offers and it would be hard to find that in another car (especially reliability and reasonable maintenance costs). For the past week I've been looking up maintenance costs on Gallardos, the numbers are astronomical but I am hoping I can afford such desires 5-10 years from now. If not 5-10, I'll push it back then. I want to be able to afford a supercar before I retire, that's for sure. I'm not into being the fastest car on the road, rather something that gives me pride that I worked hard for. I am interested to see what some of us will upgrade to in the years to come. I find it hard to upgrade without spending at least 80-90K! We all know the ISF is the perfect all-around package. I have a friend who upgraded to the '13 GTR from a 08 ISF, and to this day he still says the ISF is the best all-around car he ever owned.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 06-18-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 10:58 AM
BigE514
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my ISF last year so I won't be changing cars any time soon but I would probably go with a gtr or a 911 turbo.
Old 06-18-13, 10:58 AM
Bigcloud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My next car will most likely be a Porsche Panamera GTS or Turbo in 5 years (when I'm 40!). I was watching fifth gear and saw how Vicki was driving the car and I just fell in love with it. Plus with AWD, V8 you can't go wrong. Also I can put car seats in the back if I need be. My track car will be either my fully track preped 350z or my IS-F.

Old 06-18-13, 11:00 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Either a lot of people in this thread are very wealthy already, or a lot of people are planning on being very wealthy by the time they are ready to get another car.

Everyone has a different tolerance level for debt or what they will spend on a depreciating asset. I certainly don't look at cars as investments, but the only way I could stomach paying $100K+ on a car (which is where a lot of these exotics that are posted would fall) is if I had that in cash or if I had no other bills. I'm an attorney and my wife is an account manager at a marketing firm, so we do well, but right now, with two kids, a mortgage, savings, investments and general fun spending I can't justify the car payment it would take for me to jump into a Lamborghini or other similar exotic.

The hope is that Lexus releases another 4-door sports sedan in the future (something like a GS-F) and I can pick up a used one after they've been out a year or two. I like the whole 4-doors, luxury, reliability, and sports car rolled in to one package that the current IS-F offers.
Some people here are just dreaming...nothing wrong with that. In my case, the GT-R is really within our means. We are DINKS and we belong to the 33% Tax bracket and will soon be reaching 35%.
Old 06-18-13, 11:15 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

ive been on the GTR forums for about a year now. def going to be that.
Old 06-18-13, 12:31 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
My next car will most likely be a Porsche Panamera GTS or Turbo in 5 years (when I'm 40!). I was watching fifth gear and saw how Vicki was driving the car and I just fell in love with it. Plus with AWD, V8 you can't go wrong. Also I can put car seats in the back if I need be. My track car will be either my fully track preped 350z or my IS-F.

i've new respect for the panamera (well at least the turbo and gts variety) since watching that episode, plus some other reviews. the base models are quite common here in atlanta, which is what was initially turning me off to them.

i could easily seeing myself owning one if i had a big family, or for a wifey.
Old 06-18-13, 01:55 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Some people here are just dreaming...nothing wrong with that. In my case, the GT-R is really within our means. We are DINKS and we belong to the 33% Tax bracket and will soon be reaching 35%.
DINK status, from a financial standpoint, is where it is at. If my wife and I had no kids and no desire to have any, I'd probably have a new Cayman S as my weekend warrior and something like a GS350 or Acura RL as a daily. But, with two kids, there's always some other expense around the corner (especially with two girls). I'm in a house I wouldn't have bought if I didn't have children, plus there's college, weddings, etc that you never stop thinking about. I wouldn't trade any of it for a nicer car, but as a car fan, I definitely do dream about some of the toys I'd buy if I didn't have to worry about all of the above. Enjoy that $$$ from being a DINK!

And to BigCloud and others that posted about the Panamera... I agree that car is on my "realistic" next car list if Lexus doesn't have anything that fits the bill when I'm ready. The Turbo and GTS might be a bit on the high side for me, but a gently used 4S could be in my future.
Old 06-18-13, 07:05 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
DINK status, from a financial standpoint, is where it is at. If my wife and I had no kids and no desire to have any, I'd probably have a new Cayman S as my weekend warrior and something like a GS350 or Acura RL as a daily. But, with two kids, there's always some other expense around the corner (especially with two girls). I'm in a house I wouldn't have bought if I didn't have children, plus there's college, weddings, etc that you never stop thinking about. I wouldn't trade any of it for a nicer car, but as a car fan, I definitely do dream about some of the toys I'd buy if I didn't have to worry about all of the above. Enjoy that $$$ from being a DINK!

And to BigCloud and others that posted about the Panamera... I agree that car is on my "realistic" next car list if Lexus doesn't have anything that fits the bill when I'm ready. The Turbo and GTS might be a bit on the high side for me, but a gently used 4S could be in my future.
In a certain way, am envious of couples who have kids. I bet your two kids are adorable and are the center of your lives. Not sure if I am ready for them though, specially, nowadays when we can pretty much afford what we want and not need. Case in point, is that I was just at the U.S. Open held Merion in PA. It was a spur of the moment decision last month that, if we had kids, it would have been impossible from a logistics/financial standpoint. Anyways, you sound and think like a very good lawyer. I wouldn't mind retaining you or your firm if I am from your state.
Old 06-18-13, 07:18 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Realistically my next car will probably be in the $80K range in 2 years so most likely at that time a used M6 or the panamera like mentioned above is a great choice whatever I get has to be family realistic or my girl will kill me haha
Old 06-18-13, 07:42 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
In a certain way, am envious of couples who have kids. I bet your two kids are adorable and are the center of your lives. Not sure if I am ready for them though, specially, nowadays when we can pretty much afford what we want and not need. Case in point, is that I was just at the U.S. Open held Merion in PA. It was a spur of the moment decision last month that, if we had kids, it would have been impossible from a logistics/financial standpoint. Anyways, you sound and think like a very good lawyer. I wouldn't mind retaining you or your firm if I am from your state.
I appreciate the kind words. Yes, spontaneity is limited when you have kids, but it isn't impossible. I'm a big 49ers fan, and on a whim my wife and I attended the NFC championship game in Atlanta earlier this year, so with a tad bit of planning, and the big bonus of having family that lives in the same city, we still get to do things now and again. Having extra money for things like this are another reason why blowing all of the disposable income on cars makes no sense to us. In addition to the game, we've also been to St. Thomas and I've been to Vegas this year as well. Driving around a $100k car would have limited all of that.

You're right though, kids are the best and I wouldn't want to go back to being DINKs for a fleet of Ferraris.

Last edited by vbb; 06-18-13 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 07:47 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
ive been on the GTR forums for about a year now. def going to be that.
+1, me too with no intention of selling my F. Im going to put some shape or form of a 900hp package on the gtr and its going to be a toy while i continue to daily the F or when i need to transport people. When thats paid for im going to buy and build a TURBO Arial Atom and have my dream garage complete. Truck Nov-march, IS-F or gtr daily between april and Oct with a 600hp Atom for the sun or when you wanna be really dumb.... I love dreaming, but really its my plan.

Last edited by darbs242; 06-18-13 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 08:13 PM
mcauley
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the next isf or gsf if they make one. But if not a is 300H and a clean gtr r35
Old 06-19-13, 04:47 AM
WillRockwe
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no need or desire for a car with quicker 0-60 than my F, but I do need one of these, for the stuff the F can't bring home.

Quick Reply: Current ISF owners: What's your next car?