IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

any issues with high mileage IS-F's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 08:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

The only concern for higher mileage cars is we don't know how the transmission will hold up with a factory "lifetime fill" of WS ATF. I still haven't got around to sending mine to Blackstone. Other than that, it should be pretty much as reliable as my 155k mile Supra is.
Old 07-18-12, 10:29 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
i have the blown sub problem and shaky mirror problem, car has no warranty on it...how much do yall think its gonna cost me to fix?
T5 Torx (I think it was, off the top of my head) took care of my rearview mirror.
Old 07-18-12, 10:34 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd be more comfortable driving a high mileage IS-F than any other similar performance sedan on the market today. Toyota, and Lexus particularly, has built up a stellar reputation for quality. A coworker of mine drove an LS430 for years and years without any problems whatsoever, and only got rid of it because he finally wanted something new (the GS). If you do regular maintenance on the car, it should give you another 100K.

I'm sure that quality and reliability are two of the main reasons most of us are here as opposed to over on the BMW or Audi forums.
Old 07-18-12, 01:21 PM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb

I'm sure that quality and reliability are two of the main reasons most of us are here as opposed to over on the BMW or Audi forums.

Indeed.. Reliability and quality was at the top of my list as I was looking to offload my Z. That car started having problems at 24k miles. It was the clutch that went out at 24k and the problems seemed endless over the next 60k miles.

Glad to be in a Lexus now..
Old 07-18-12, 01:49 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb

very true! I test drove an S5 and when I told the dealer I needed a car that I will put 200k miles he looked at me as if I were crazy for looking at an Audi, lol

Originally Posted by scrosby
Indeed.. Reliability and quality was at the top of my list as I was looking to offload my Z. That car started having problems at 24k miles. It was the clutch that went out at 24k and the problems seemed endless over the next 60k miles.

Glad to be in a Lexus now..
Shane at least you have no clutch problems now! Hope you're enjoying your automatic

Last edited by 2ndGF; 07-18-12 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 03:14 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Hmmmmm.... my G35 was awesome!!! I had ZERO problems at 200k miles when i traded it in to get my F. The only thing that ever happened to me with that car was the moonroof got stuck once... that was it! - but I guess to each's own!!

Sorry man...not to each his own...U were one of the lucky ones...that car is a proven POS
Look at Infiniti on the list of issues per 100 cars

check it---worse than Kia == https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-next-car.html

They are crap...window motors die constantly, tranny going out, radio needs replacement, rack and pinion seals failing, uneven tirewear that cant be explained, fine cracks in headlight housing, etc etc
Maybe yours was cool to you...but I had a car club with over 75 G35 members (GSQUAD) and every owner had a combination of all these issues or a few of them, Club has since morfed into something else but point is this isnt just "my opinion".

now they may have improved the car after 2007 but Infiniti as a whole aint what it used to be

Having said that ---Good move with the F...welcome to Toyota reliability!

Last edited by NYC ES3; 07-18-12 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 03:17 PM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Shane at least you have no clutch problems now! Hope you're enjoying your automatic
I certainly am! Annnnnd.... I can even make this bad boy chirp 2nd gear (like a stick) if I nail the gas during a manual shift.
Old 07-18-12, 07:17 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
i have the blown sub problem and shaky mirror problem, car has no warranty on it...how much do yall think its gonna cost me to fix?
I blew my sub for the 2nd time in my car's ownership this week. I'm going to replace it with two 10s and a D-class amp...that should fix the problem.

Personally for me, I haven't had any major problems. The only thing I had to take my car into the dealership for was to replace a sunroof motor and a blown sub. 84,392 miles...purchased the car with 19 miles on the clock back in Sept 17, 2008

I'm on my 3rd set of tires (including the first set), and I'm going to have to replace my rear tires probably at the end of summer. I'll also be replacing the tranny fluid and filter, diff fluid, and full cooling system flush by the end of the year. I've replaced and flushed the brake fluid twice. I've done probably about 15-17 oil changes, and installed my 4th air filter this past weekend (went with a drop in K&N filter this time).

If you're getting a good deal on the car, I'd buy it....just check the engine, make sure you have no leaks anywhere...make sure the tranny shifts silky smooth when it's in auto mode and like a beast in Manual + Sport mode. Check the brake rotors to make sure they don't have a lip on it...which SHOULD (depends on the brand of rotors maybe) mean you have some good mileage left on it.
Old 07-19-12, 07:23 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scrosby
I certainly am! Annnnnd.... I can even make this bad boy chirp 2nd gear (like a stick) if I nail the gas during a manual shift.
I looove doing this... I also heard you can chirp in 3rd with headers....
Old 07-19-12, 07:32 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I looove doing this... I also heard you can chirp in 3rd with headers....
nothing cool about chirping...it just means you don't have enough traction...time for new tires! AND...worst is if you didn't see the cop...they can nail you for "exhibition of speed", in which they can impound your car
Old 07-19-12, 10:19 AM
scrosby
Driver

Originally Posted by Just F Me
nothing cool about chirping...it just means you don't have enough traction...time for new tires! AND...worst is if you didn't see the cop...they can nail you for "exhibition of speed", in which they can impound your car
blah blah blah new tires.......

I have PSS's and don't tell me these things don't have traction...
Old 07-19-12, 10:59 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
New tires? ... I have practically brand new tires with 7k on them (Conti DWS has treadwear of 540). I think with a shift speed of 0.1 seconds, chirping between gears is expected.