IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Made a buddy feel bad about his S5.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 11:32 AM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '09 S5 for 3 years before getting my '12 GT-R. Even with full bolt-ons an S5 is no match for an IS-F. Not even close. That car was fun to own for non-performance reasons, but when it comes to racing, it just doesn't hang. I had full intake, downpipes, exhaust, coilovers, bbk, etc. and the best thing it was good at was cruising and making a fun noise (but even that isn't as solid as the IS-F).

Audi just simply doesn't build competitively fast cars for the money, and that's why I went back to JDM. =)
Old 07-20-12, 11:37 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Let's not get the wrong idea by the post guys... I wasn't trying to say the S5 was a bad car at all. It still ranks very highly on my list. Face it, it has more than enough power/speed/handling ability to get in to trouble on any public road, and I would guess very few of us are good enough drivers to really drive that car at 10/10 on the track. It was fun just seeing my friend's reaction considering he'd never even really heard of the IS-F, much less driven one. That's just another thing I really like about the car... so few people, even supposed car enthusiasts, know anything about the IS-F. So few people have ever even seen one!

In fact, does anyone have a link or data showing how many IS-Fs were sent to the US by year? This definitely has to be one of the more rare production cars on the road. I don't think I've seen more than 5 of them on the road in the entire 4+ years they've been out. Contrast that with the fact that I have seen 5 M3s in probably the last few weeks, and I have two different friends who own S5s and have driven them both, and have seen at least 3 others on the road in the last couple of months.
Old 07-20-12, 11:44 AM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
Let's not get the wrong idea by the post guys... I wasn't trying to say the S5 was a bad car at all. It still ranks very highly on my list. Face it, it has more than enough power/speed/handling ability to get in to trouble on any public road, and I would guess very few of us are good enough drivers to really drive that car at 10/10 on the track. It was fun just seeing my friend's reaction considering he'd never even really heard of the IS-F, much less driven one. That's just another thing I really like about the car... so few people, even supposed car enthusiasts, know anything about the IS-F. So few people have ever even seen one!

In fact, does anyone have a link or data showing how many IS-Fs were sent to the US by year? This definitely has to be one of the more rare production cars on the road. I don't think I've seen more than 5 of them on the road in the entire 4+ years they've been out. Contrast that with the fact that I have seen 5 M3s in probably the last few weeks, and I have two different friends who own S5s and have driven them both, and have seen at least 3 others on the road in the last couple of months.
It IS a good car, and may later on pick up another one (esp with the V6T instead of the V8) as a cruiser. But no need to soft-pedal the criticism -- it's a thorn in the side of that car. You would hope that for the price it would at least be reasonably close to the competition but in reality an IS350 could get the jump on it and keep the lead until 100mph. I am pretty intimately familiar with the performance limitations of the platform and they're very real.

I had a post on A5OC about how there are a lot of great things to like about the S5, but performance just isn't it. The IS-F crushes it in this department.
Old 07-20-12, 12:27 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
RS5 is not (and AFAIK won't come) to the US, so most of us don't have it as an option. I love the S5, it's a great looking car, one of the best on the road. Inside is as good as outside, great interior, perfect distribution of controls and everything. Power-wise is not on par with its look. I tested drove one before getting my last ISF and left the Audi dealer unimpressed.
RS5 Already in San Diego dealership. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eaches-dealers
Attached Thumbnails Made a buddy feel bad about his S5.-rs5.jpg  
Old 07-20-12, 12:45 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RS5 is already here, i know someone getting theirs soon they are just doing the paperwork
Old 07-20-12, 01:44 PM
vbb

Audi loves to make these "tweener" cars. The S5 and the S4 are more performance oriented than the A versions of each, but not quite up the performance levels of what you would think the competitors would be from other makers (the M3, C63AMG and IS-F). Of course Audi knows more about their marketing strategy than I could ever hope to, but it seems like they kind of miss their mark. Figure you have the BMW 328, 335 and M3, or the Lexus IS250, IS350, and IS-F. Then you have the Audi A4/5, S4/5, and RS4/5 that are all more expensive than the similar models from BMW and Lexus. I don't see how that is competitive.
Old 07-20-12, 02:22 PM
liebsaz
Driver School Candidate

Audi just launched there RS5 page recently. That's the real ISF competitor. Check it out.

Pretty sick car but just like the M3 they nickle and dime you with all the upgrades
Old 07-20-12, 04:11 PM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by liebsaz
Audi just launched there RS5 page recently. That's the real ISF competitor. Check it out.

Pretty sick car but just like the M3 they nickle and dime you with all the upgrades
IMO it's not really a "real ISF competitor" if it runs similar 0-60 (~4.5s) and quarter mile (~12.7s) times despite launch control and DCT gearbox -- from a roll I'd still give advantage to the ISF. Then add ~$10k higher MSRP ($68,900) which is less likely to get discounted than the Lexus and with less standard features (like you said they'll nickle and dime you with options -- this is very easily a $75-80k+ car or even more if you get carbon ceramic brakes), and ubiquitous styling that's not dramatically different from a $38k A5 (the flares on the RS5 are extremely subtle compared to the old RS4), and it's kind of a snooze.

Combine that with the fact that even though it's been out in Europe for a year already, it's a new 2013 model for the US market, and the best performance comparisons we can make are against cars that were out since 2008.

I totally get that there is a market for this car, and it's a good car, but I think a lot of the enthusiast-types will be left scratching their heads.
Old 07-20-12, 08:35 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh shoot, I didn't know the RS5 was here already! Too bad I got my ISF this year, if the RS5 was on dealerships this last February I may have ended getting one. The specs are great and I love coupe cars, I guess I'll have to wait for the next generation ISF and cross my fingers to have a coupe version available.
Old 07-20-12, 11:27 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Were so bad ***. lol

The S5 was the car I was looking for before I bought the ISF. Dealers wouldn't let me drive one though. Eventually I got turned off by the anemic engine specs. Very pretty car though!
Elaborate. What was that conversation like?

"Hey I'd like to test drive one of your S5s!"
Dealer: "No."
"...Ok"
Old 07-21-12, 12:45 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Elaborate. What was that conversation like?

"Hey I'd like to test drive one of your S5s!"
Dealer: "No."
"...Ok"
LOL!

10char
Old 07-21-12, 01:20 AM
daniel3ooo
Pole Position

I saw an rs5 posted for sale on Craigslist here by a bay area dealer...asking 90k!!! That's just insane...
Old 07-21-12, 04:49 AM
liebsaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SupraBlur
IMO it's not really a "real ISF competitor" if it runs similar 0-60 (~4.5s) and quarter mile (~12.7s) times despite launch control and DCT gearbox -- from a roll I'd still give advantage to the ISF. Then add ~$10k higher MSRP ($68,900) which is less likely to get discounted than the Lexus and with less standard features (like you said they'll nickle and dime you with options -- this is very easily a $75-80k+ car or even more if you get carbon ceramic brakes), and ubiquitous styling that's not dramatically different from a $38k A5 (the flares on the RS5 are extremely subtle compared to the old RS4), and it's kind of a snooze.

Combine that with the fact that even though it's been out in Europe for a year already, it's a new 2013 model for the US market, and the best performance comparisons we can make are against cars that were out since 2008.

I totally get that there is a market for this car, and it's a good car, but I think a lot of the enthusiast-types will be left scratching their heads.
yea well it also has a spoiler that comes out when you reach a certain speed too!
Old 07-21-12, 06:17 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraBlur
I had an '09 S5 for 3 years before getting my '12 GT-R. Even with full bolt-ons an S5 is no match for an IS-F. Not even close. That car was fun to own for non-performance reasons, but when it comes to racing, it just doesn't hang. I had full intake, downpipes, exhaust, coilovers, bbk, etc. and the best thing it was good at was cruising and making a fun noise (but even that isn't as solid as the IS-F).

Audi just simply doesn't build competitively fast cars for the money, and that's why I went back to JDM. =)
I think your last statement is wrong - go drive the V10 r8, purely awesome car and great price compared to it's competitors.

IS-F is a nice car but it is definitely not the holy grail. Lexus needs a lot of improvements for it to stay with it's competition. The S5 is NOT a competitor.

The CTS-V and C63 are the industry leaders in this class of cars with the m3 still the best handling one of the bunch.

RS-5 is a great car but for the price is definitely is an exclusive car that people will buy (especially in midwest and other harsh climate areas) RWD cars are not all season cars in most of the country.
Old 07-21-12, 08:22 AM
vbb

Originally Posted by s4play
I think your last statement is wrong - go drive the V10 r8, purely awesome car and great price compared to it's competitors.

IS-F is a nice car but it is definitely not the holy grail. Lexus needs a lot of improvements for it to stay with it's competition. The S5 is NOT a competitor.

The CTS-V and C63 are the industry leaders in this class of cars with the m3 still the best handling one of the bunch.

RS-5 is a great car but for the price is definitely is an exclusive car that people will buy (especially in midwest and other harsh climate areas) RWD cars are not all season cars in most of the country.
You've owned or driven a pretty good handful of cars... what would you say made you gravitate towards the IS-F as opposed to the C63, CTS-V or E90/92 M3? And yeah, I wouldn't say the IS-F is the holy grail by any stretch either, with any car there are a lot of fanbois... but the IS-F definitely isn't perfect. That said, I think it is the best of the bunch for all the reasons that are important to me, which is why I bought one!

Quick Reply: Made a buddy feel bad about his S5.