IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Made a buddy feel bad about his S5.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 12:59 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really an apples-to-apples comparison when it comes to performance, but I'm sure some of us have cross-shopped the S5 because of the price.

The S5 was on the top of my list, but it was backordered at the time at MSRP, and the reliability factor really turned me off.
Old 07-21-12, 04:59 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsane
Nice! I've made an S5 owner sad as well.

Priceless

We can add a Bentley Continental GTC to the feel bad list. . A quick machine but clearly no competition for the F in the mid to upper range. (It was an open 3-lane highway in PA with no other cars for miles.)
Old 07-21-12, 09:30 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

I appreciate that Lexus doesn't nickel and dime you for every little option like Audi and BMW.
I am praying that the next version of the IS-F fixes some current flaws (sheds some pounds, better handling, and a tad more power) and they don't over spindle grill it, so it looks exactly like the new GS and ES that now are twins. Have to wait and see.. Until then I just want to make more people sad..
Old 07-22-12, 11:06 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexsane
I appreciate that Lexus doesn't nickel and dime you for every little option like Audi and BMW.
I am praying that the next version of the IS-F fixes some current flaws (sheds some pounds, better handling, and a tad more power) and they don't over spindle grill it, so it looks exactly like the new GS and ES that now are twins. Have to wait and see.. Until then I just want to make more people sad..
If you are driving a 2008, see if you can test drive a 2012 with the handling improvements and the Torsen limited slip differential. The cars are different--the '12 handles beautifully.

I am not expected any drastic design alterations in the 2014.
Old 07-23-12, 01:46 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
You've owned or driven a pretty good handful of cars... what would you say made you gravitate towards the IS-F as opposed to the C63, CTS-V or E90/92 M3? And yeah, I wouldn't say the IS-F is the holy grail by any stretch either, with any car there are a lot of fanbois... but the IS-F definitely isn't perfect. That said, I think it is the best of the bunch for all the reasons that are important to me, which is why I bought one!

I will shed some light on my car selection process but keep in mind each of us have different sets of criteria so for me this is what I used when I went through all the cars prior to picking the IS-F. I drove each of these cars either at a dealership or borrowed from a friend as most of us share similar tastes in these cars. They are all industry leaders so it’s hard to find major faults with any of these cars.

These are my major gripes and how I eliminated each car in this order:

a) RS4 ~ this was the first car I eliminated but only because it was only available in a manual tranny and my wife wanted an auto. Ironically I probably would have picked this car otherwise because it had the best in class interior, subtle but aggressive styling and beautiful exhaust note. I do not plan to track any of these cars so track handling and top speed are NOT my top priorities. I loved the roomy trunk and fold down rear seats plus the ability to seat 5 if needed and Quattro for our last minute Tahoe trips.

b) C63 ~ The Mercedes is really a hot rod in disguise under the badge because this car is a pure muscle car and certainly sounds like one. It’s one of the fastest in this group and the front seats are really well bolstered (almost a bit too much for a sedan)! The weak looking interior, crappy materials for rear seat and just the lack of amenities such as suede headliner make this a cheap AMG if there ever was such a thing at $70k+. The exterior styling can be easily mistaken for any C-class if you are not a hardcore car guy so until you see/hear that exhaust, it just looks like a C-Class with tiny interior space. I dropped this off my list very quickly - my buddy let me borrow his for a weekend and I got dismal mpg too, around 12 mpg!

c) E90 m3 ~ I’m a huge BMW M-car fan and coming from a previous e46 m3, I expected a lot for this V8 model and it certainly didn’t disappoint. The car has an awesome V8 and the DCT tranny is one of the best around. Light years ahead of the SMG though I would probably get the manual if it wasn’t for the wife. Interior styling is average but it’s all BMW and having room for 5 passengers plus fold down seats made me happy camper. I know many people claim reliability issues but I NEVER had issues with my e46 m3 and this was not a concern for me on this car either. The only thing I didn’t really like was the styling of the e90 sedan, the m3 coupe just looks 10x better. I ended not buying this car mainly due to the styling issue.

d) CTS-V ~ This was actually the best contender to the IS-F and coming from a guy who never buys American cars (only like the Viper and Vette), I was pleasantly surprised by the CTS-V. It had tons of interior space and was a REALLY FAST car, probably on par with the AMG from my butt dyno. I can’t speak on quality since I have no experience but Cadillac has really come a long way. I really considered this car for quite some time.

e) IS-F ~ I drove this car and immediately knew this would be my next car. We’ve owned over 9+ Lexus vehicles over the years and pretty much had every model except the LS and ES line. I owned a 99 GS400 way back in the day and my brother and parents all have Lexus as well. We recently bought a CT200h Hybrid as well. The IS-F had a great interior, awesome motor and was the least thirsty car of the bunch with the 8-speed tranny. On a trip to Oregon we averaged 25 mpg with 3 people and a ton of luggage! I don’t think any of the above cars can match that number. I really liked the styling and overall look of the car so much that I looked past the 4-seat compartment and tiny trunk. Both of these latter issues plus the non folding rear seats eventually made me sell the car but those are minor I know for some people. I hope the new IS-F will have fixed these problems for me but overall, the IS-F is a winner in my book.
Old 07-23-12, 03:06 PM
SupraBlur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s4play
I think your last statement is wrong - go drive the V10 r8, purely awesome car and great price compared to it's competitors.
Yes their range has a few gems like the R8 5.2 and TT-RS. I will admit that.

Originally Posted by vbb
Audi loves to make these "tweener" cars. The S5 and the S4 are more performance oriented than the A versions of each, but not quite up the performance levels of what you would think the competitors would be from other makers (the M3, C63AMG and IS-F). Of course Audi knows more about their marketing strategy than I could ever hope to, but it seems like they kind of miss their mark. Figure you have the BMW 328, 335 and M3, or the Lexus IS250, IS350, and IS-F. Then you have the Audi A4/5, S4/5, and RS4/5 that are all more expensive than the similar models from BMW and Lexus. I don't see how that is competitive.
I totally agree with this.

Having driven the ISF, M3, and C63, I can say that any claims of superiority of one over the other are exaggerated because these cars are literally in the same class, and where one shines in one area, another shines in another, and the buying decision between these 3 cars is purely subjective -- that's what makes them real competitors.

My point is that Audi has not taken a real stab into this class that's worth considering. Can you imagine the similarly priced S4 in a tussle with the above 3 cars?

Exterior design used to be a big selling point for Audis, but guys it's been 4 years since the first Iron Man movie came out, and as all fashion trends go, nothing stays fresh forever. We can partially blame that on the ubiquity of LED running lights.
Old 07-23-12, 04:59 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the detailed rundown of the cars you tested S4play. I think you covered all the cars that are legitimately in the same class and that were worth considering before purchasing the IS-F. I never drove anything close to the C63, but it sounds like a beast. I did drive a "regular" CTS which of course is not even close to the V but that car felt a bit large in comparison to the others. I also drove an S4 and personally I agree that it has the best interior for sure... it just looked kinda bland exterior wise and was underpowered compared to the others. I've had one BMW in the past (335i) and never say never but it was probably my last. I can't see ever buying a used one. Maybe lease a new one, but not purchase one.

So far no buyer's remorse at all with the IS-F. I'm happy I chose what I did.
Old 07-23-12, 07:19 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s4play

e) IS-F ~ I drove this car and immediately knew this would be my next car. We’ve owned over 9+ Lexus vehicles over the years and pretty much had every model except the LS and ES line. I owned a 99 GS400 way back in the day and my brother and parents all have Lexus as well. We recently bought a CT200h Hybrid as well. The IS-F had a great interior, awesome motor and was the least thirsty car of the bunch with the 8-speed tranny. On a trip to Oregon we averaged 25 mpg with 3 people and a ton of luggage! I don’t think any of the above cars can match that number. I really liked the styling and overall look of the car so much that I looked past the 4-seat compartment and tiny trunk. Both of these latter issues plus the non folding rear seats eventually made me sell the car but those are minor I know for some people. I hope the new IS-F will have fixed these problems for me but overall, the IS-F is a winner in my book.
Awesome review on all these cars

I gotta agree with you, This is really one of the only things that kill me about this car...I'm always asking for friends to help me get things I need for around the house, ect.
Old 07-24-12, 10:22 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

The hatchback configuration of the CT200 is amazing in how much stuff it can swallow. I really like the wagon configuration with fold down seats and no rear decklid

The IS-F has so little real cargo space it's worse than my e46 m3. I can actually fit 5 people in the BMW and it's a 2 door coupe!
Old 07-24-12, 10:40 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Audi S5's are beautiful looking cars. I work at a body shop that is Audi, Porsche, and Bentley certified so I have worked on and driven the S5 alot. I do like them but I am used to cars with more power. I have raced a S5 with my supercharged Tundra and I smoked it pretty badly on the drag strip... My favorite car right now I've driven is a Bugatti Veyron at the shop, but the SLR McLaren was a close second...
Old 07-24-12, 10:58 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

I was actually considering the CT200h and the ISF.... did I want to be selfish and have fun with my car? or did I want something thats more cost effective in the long run. Well, after driving the ISF, I knew I couldn't get a hybrid.... hahaha Also, I didn't think I could pack the trunk/hatch with out folding the rear seat down, but I would have a car seat back there.

Sorry to go off topic a little bit but to S4Play, I know you had a baby so do you have a car seat back there in the CT? Any issues packing a stroller and other stuff in the trunk?

Last edited by iH8RICERZ; 07-24-12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-26-12, 10:21 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
I was actually considering the CT200h and the ISF.... did I want to be selfish and have fun with my car? or did I want something thats more cost effective in the long run. Well, after driving the ISF, I knew I couldn't get a hybrid.... hahaha Also, I didn't think I could pack the trunk/hatch with out folding the rear seat down, but I would have a car seat back there.

Sorry to go off topic a little bit but to S4Play, I know you had a baby so do you have a car seat back there in the CT? Any issues packing a stroller and other stuff in the trunk?

Most of my garage is performance oriented cars except for our SUV's and now the CT200h. I "thought" could never get used to a 136hp sipper but amazingly I grab the keys to the CT quite often. I find myself a happier driver accelerating slowly and just enjoying the drive. The car handles great and is so refined that I don't miss the extra hp most of the time. I won't lie and tell you I wish it had more power but each time I fill up for only $30 bucks and get 45mpg I am a happy camper

(similar effect when I drive a Beetle, I am just a less aggressive driver overall which is a good thing when I'm with my kids)

To answer your question, the CT is certainly not roomy per se so it all depends on what kind of car seat and stroller you are packing. I found my Recaro and SnugRide seats are a bit big for the CT but our Sunbeam car seat fits perfectly with plenty of room to spare. The key is to plan ahead and travel light.

Stroller wise we have a Bugaboo which is a super tight fit but I rarely carry that one if I'm going out with my girl. We either use a McLaren (more compact) or use the push car which she loves more for cruising around the mall. For both kids and the Bugaboo it's definitely the SUV option!

We plan to trade one of our midsize SUV's for a QX56 later this year so pretty excited

rick
Old 07-26-12, 11:20 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great thread. Appreciate all the insights on comparable rides