IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Radiator LEAKING!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 04:23 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Radiator LEAKING!?

Well to my suprise after I recently got my haders installed, I saw specs and sprinkles on the front of the block, fuse box, and over other components on the front of the block. I took a closer look and at the very top of the radiator were the molded "plastic" and metal part look like the are metal tabs bent over the plastic there is residue all along top of the radiator when I get back to the house I willl post pics...I felt under the hoses no leaks, and cannot see cracks...looks like most of residue is initiating from the drivers side corner to see beyond core support...This is bummer... money down the drain....F!...Anyonw else have such issue fixes or knoweledge? Thanks..cant really find any DIY on radiator replacement and/ortime for it lol..
Old 07-20-12, 04:56 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
Well to my suprise after I recently got my headers installed, I saw specs and sprinkles on the front of the block, fuse box, and over other components on the front of the block. I took a closer look and at the very top of the radiator were the molded "plastic" and metal part look like the are metal tabs bent over the plastic there is residue all along top of the radiator when I get back to the house I willl post pics...I felt under the hoses no leaks, and cannot see cracks...looks like most of residue is initiating from the drivers side corner to see beyond core support...This is bummer... money down the drain....F!...Anyonw else have such issue fixes or knoweledge? Thanks..cant really find any DIY on radiator replacement and/ortime for it lol..
It's a rare, if not unique, occurrance with Lexus vehicles and good luck with that and I hope it's not something major. In the "old days", we used to use "Bars STOP-LEAK" and stuff like that. Not recommended as it can clog up everything and damage the water pump.
Old 07-20-12, 05:09 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
It's a rare, if not unique, occurrance with Lexus vehicles and good luck with that and I hope it's not something major. In the "old days", we used to use "Bars STOP-LEAK" and stuff like that. Not recommended as it can clog up everything and damage the water pump.
Yea, no lie I hope nothing "major" either... I tookoff upper plastic cover no holes, and again quite apparent where leakmay be coming from due to level of residue left by the leak on driver side fuse box by the washer fluid fill...so yup most likely radiator.
Old 07-20-12, 05:23 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you still under warranty?
Old 07-20-12, 05:25 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Are you still under warranty?
Nope, at 79K
Old 07-20-12, 07:42 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should rent a coolant pressure tester from an autoparts store. Remove all the plastic covers, top off the coolant, clean the residue and pressurize the system to ~1lbs. above the relief spring pressure then inspect for your leak. The engine does not need to be at operating temp to do this test. That should help you confirm your point of origin.
Old 07-20-12, 08:10 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Exactly what I was planning to do..I wish I had time to swap myself if it is the radiator..bc avg quote is $900 with radiator at about $450.... guess its possible the seal went bad at the top where the two are joined.. (
Old 07-20-12, 11:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Eww this would suck if it's like the TT Supra's radiator cracking right in front of the throttlebody. It was a common failure and why mine has a PWR radiator in it.
Old 07-20-12, 01:33 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Eww this would suck if it's like the TT Supra's radiator cracking right in front of the throttlebody. It was a common failure and why mine has a PWR radiator in it.
I knw it is going to suck! Atleast good reason to tell girl I dont want to buy another expensive purse and shoes hahaha lol trying to get a laugh out ..lol,... I have same feeling when watched Johnny 5 lose battery fluid,..my F's bleeding!!
Old 07-20-12, 03:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Unhappy

Everything has an expiration date...

One of the reasons why I purchased "Extended Warranty"..

Location 16400 - New Part # 16400-38H10 / MSRP $650 / Approx $475 On-line websites
(new as of April 11')

~ Joe Z
Old 07-20-12, 07:26 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Well the factory cap is good for 108 kpa, which is 15 ib and I went to 20 on gauge after I saw no leaks...then slowly kept up on drivers side flowing all around the top in about an hours time.. New radiator on order to get slapped in.. Oh well to keep the f alive lol
Old 07-20-12, 08:09 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My water pump was replaced by the dealership.I did not even know that it was leaking. I was there for an alignment. I think there is a TSB regarding it.
Old 07-04-13, 09:58 AM
BYamamoto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did your Lexus break down near Vegas from overheating?

My 2006 Lexus overheated and broke down in the middle of the desert on the way to LA from Vegas. Had to be towed ($531!) to the nearest Lexus dealer. Turns out that the radiator was leaking, the car overheated and now I have $8000 in damages to replace the engine!

The tow truck driver told me that he towed EIGHT Lexuses the day before with the same problem. Are any of the other eight of you out there? Wondering what to do.
Old 07-04-13, 11:34 AM
Spumoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SC300 has small leak near top plastic, about 8 ounces every time I drive it localy. I am ordering new rad today and lower and upper hoses with it, water pump and timing belt service was done 15,000 ago so that's ok. simple time related wear guys that's all, but change your hoses too with it.
Old 07-04-13, 12:51 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the exact same symptoms, that we revealed recently at my track day. I could smell it, but not pinpoint the leak. I kept looking at the water pump area (already replaced). Then I removed the plastic front engine cover and found the leak.

This is directly under the upper rad hose connection to the upper tank. It is not spillage, but a build up over time. It is really hard to see it visually. I knew it was leaking somewhere from the smell and subtle loss of coolant over long periods of time.

It is covered by my ECP and will be replaced. I have not identified if this is from the upper tank seam or the upper hose neck. My car has significant mileage on it and some hard driving....so this is to be expected after 5 years.

You can clearly see in these photos what seems like the upper seam has given out directly underneath the upper rad hose neck.

Booked for replacement on Monday, but strangely coolant is not covered, must pay the replacement costs....weird....stupid Canadians

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 07-05-13 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator LEAKING!?