IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stock Rear sway bar vs. F-Sport Rear Sway bar pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 05:16 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Depends on where you live. My Supra has been through many winters, but never where the roads are salted. I still have the OEM exhaust, and I can easily remove the bolts holding it together and reuse them. All true for anything under the car. Same with my IS F. When the wife and I discussed leaving Sacramento where I had not seen snow on the ground it 24 years, we drew a line where we could expect to see snow routinely and said anything south of this line will be OK unless it is too near the coast...
Totally Agree, if roads were salted in winter, pretty sure new end links would be required. Maybe in 20 years I'll call myself a snowbird and spend winters down south, then my new 2037 lcF will be summer driven all year .
Old 02-20-17, 08:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
Is the bend in the middle of the stock bar for the diff filler plug ??
No, the bend is there because in some markets the ISF and ISX50 come with a different trunk floor pan and a full sized spare tire. The bend is to clear the tire. The F-Sport is for NA markets, all of which use the donut spare, and don't require a rear sway bar to be bent. IMO, an added advantage of the F-Sport bar.

Lou
Old 04-19-19, 10:55 AM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing it up from the dead

Im lowered on swift springs can i use oem endlinks? And do i need to to reinstall with full load in the rear?
Old 07-11-20, 07:51 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC ES3
I am posting this mainly because I was corrected by more knowledgeable CL members in reference to the thickness of the stock ISF rear sway bar vs. the F-Sport rear sway bar.
It actually made me go out and buy one..(thanks Sewell and CL for the discount!)

I installed myself today and figured I'd take pics to show the difference in size for those wondering.
Fairly easy install (if you are mechanically inclined and have the tools)

Plus on a side note I LOVE THE COLORS with the RED Swift springs and the Blue F-Sport rear sway bar.... so sad its all underneath the car forno one to see...looks nice tho!

BTW: I decided to just buy new end links and install that way...from what I read on the threads it save a bunch of time...and I mist say ...it did, they are a bit over $60 from sewell. just loosen the bolt holding the strut to the lower control arm and then loosen the end link bolt and the slip right out of the control are...quick and easy. instead of fighting for the right angle to get enough torque to loosen the end link nut while holding the hex in place..after spraying it with of bunch of bolt loosen sprays ....PIA...figured my time is worth the purchase...just my 2 cents.
NYC ES3, interested in installing rear F Sport sway bar (part # PTR02-53080), same as you have, by removing existing end link and sway bar / installing F Sport sway bar with new end links as an assembly. Wanted to confirm size of bolt used to secure end link to control arm (12mm?), and size of bolt (also 12mm?) used to secure sway bar bushing brackets to body. Did the OEM end links (Part 4883030090 ?), have an Allen key insert at the end of threaded bolt (to help prevent bolt from turning if needed)?
Also, did you receive Installation Instructions with F Sport bar, and was it necessary to apply bushing grease to the inside of bushings that make contact with rear sway bar before installing?

Last edited by ELexis; 07-11-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 05:40 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I'll chime in since I installed the F Sport rear sway bar fairly recently. Firstly, I purchased mine used so I cannot confirm if instructions are included with purchase but I would expect they would be from past experience with new F Sport parts.
I believe (if memory serves me well) the sway bar to end link was 17mm and the end link to control arm was 12mm. I also believe the brackets holding the sway bar to the chassis are 14mm. Note, you should remove the OEM sway bar and end links as a whole instead of fighting to separate them while under the car. The OEM end links do have an allen key insert but it's a semi-tight space and much easier to loosen off the car. The combined assembly is difficult to snake out but it does work. The new F Sport sway bar and new end links should also be put together before you're under the car.
Another note on install, you may want to loosen the rear lower shock bolt to allow the new end link to fit into the control arm. This bolt is essentially "squeezing" the control arm and I found it impossible to push the end link into the control arm otherwise. I don't recall the size of this bolt but it was definitely larger (maybe 20mm?). If you have a typical mechanic's socket set, you should be fine.
In regards to the bushings, if you are using the rubber bushings provided with the F Sport sway bar, you shouldn't need any grease. If you choose to use an aftermarket poly bushing set, you may want to grease them to prevent squeaking.
Someone else should fact check my bolt sizes but I hope this helps a bit.
Old 07-13-20, 06:29 AM
ELexis
Instructor

PJSnow, thank you for your time and posting the additional information. I appreciate your time and doing so!
Thank you for confirming bushing aren't required to be greased prior to installing.Will be using bushing that came with F Sport rear sway bar PTR02-53080. And thanks for the tip on reminding to loosen but not remove, lower shock bolt that attaches link to control arm to allow for more movement. I've since located that information here;

Lexus ISF Rear Sway Bar Installation | SIKKY Adjustable Sway Bar

Sikky sway bar installation instruction PDF;
https://www.sikky.com/wp-content/upl...ar-install.pdf

Last edited by ELexis; 07-27-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 05:09 AM
ELexis
Instructor

I've since confirmed that the bolt that secures shock to control arm is 19mm (just loosen this bolt and do not remove. Loosing this bolt allows control rm to open more, and release the tension on the factory endlinks for easier removal from control arm).. Do not remove the bolt. The bolts used to secure end links to the control arm, and bushing brackets to the body are all 12 mm.
NYC ES3, when installing new end links with rear F Sport sway bar, (part # PTR02-53080), did you purchase OEM end links (Part 4883030090 ?), or aftermarket (MOOG K750288 problem solver etc.)?

Lexus OEM installation instructions are located here; rear sway bar install? post # 18; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...install-2.html

Last edited by ELexis; 07-27-20 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 05:07 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you guys just doing the rear sway bar, not the set (front and rear)? I looked up PTR02-53080 and it gave me options for the rear sway bar and the full set.
Old 07-27-20, 05:42 PM
ELexis
Instructor

djyoshi626, interested in installing just the rear sway bar (part PTR02-53080 ) at this time. I believe Part PTR02-53082 is the F-Sport sway bar kit (front & rear).