IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Questions before ISF purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 07:48 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions before ISF purchase

Hey guys I am about to lock down an 08 ISF and I had a few random questions ive always wondered, I did a quick search and couldnt really find many direct answers.

First question is do Fsport Springs work on the ISF? Is it even needed, it looks like the stock ISF is lower than the stock 2IS, is that true?

Do they make an Fsport intake for the ISF, I couldnt find out on Sewell.

How much of a percentage increase spike did you see on your insurance prices with all other vairable being held constant.

Hopefully if all goes well my 2IS will go to my parents and ill have the ISF and an SC as my homes two vehicles.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-26-12, 08:05 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are all valid questions, you came to the right place! F-sport springs do not work with the IS-F. An F-sport part that works on the F is the rear sway bar.

For suspension:
The most common route is going with Swift springs, Tein H-tech, or Eibach; they all give the car a nice little drop. As far as ride height, the F does sit lower, and is tuned for the track, and IMO does not need a drop. It is a track car straight from the factory. Although people do go the coilover route as well for a more comfortable ride, BC Racing and KW V3 are the most common.

For intakes:
Joe-Z, K&N, Takeda, Injen. If you do an advanced search and search 'intake' and select ISF forums only, you'll find info on these.

For insurance:
This depends on many factors, your driving record, age, location. My insurance went up a few $100 on the F as opposed to my 98 integra, which is expected.
Old 07-26-12, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Be sure you drive the car over the roads you normally drive. The '08 models are known for a much stiffer than typical Lexus ride which is part of why people have immediately put aftermarket suspension on their rides.

Others think it's just fine straight from the factory. It does work well at the track compared to most stock vehicles.
Old 07-26-12, 08:23 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Gotcha, insurance cost going up is a big factor as over all its a big jump when you add up insurance + higher monthly payments. My record is clean so I hope its not too bad. My 2IS now is on ISF wheels/tires and fsport springs- I had heard the 08 was stiffer than the new models so I would imagine with my mods that made the car stiffer and less Lexus like it would be right about the same for feel.

Hopefully it all comes together, gonna give the 2IS to my parents but there is a small amount left on the loan that I was gonna pay off so I need to figure out how insurance works when the loan is still in my name. For the short amount of time id be paying id rather not go change registration or have them buy the car from me. Im pretty excited, I believe my Media LinQ is a direct swap over to the ISF right?

The only mod I think I will be doing is tint, audio (move over from the 2IS), and the 2012 headlights...although I still am trying to find a blinking light solution!

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 07-27-12, 07:17 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

In my case insurance was the same when I got my 08 ISF back in May 2008, keep in mind I was driving an Evo and insurance wasn't cheap. If you remove your IS250 from your policy then I don't see a big jump in insurance payments.
Old 07-27-12, 07:33 AM
QQQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 05 Ram and an 07 IS350. Got rid of them both and my insurance is the same as both of them together. Sucks but every time I push the start button it's totally worth it.
Old 07-27-12, 08:27 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
These are all valid questions, you came to the right place! F-sport springs do not work with the IS-F. An F-sport part that works on the F is the rear sway bar.

For suspension:
The most common route is going with Swift springs, Tein H-tech, or Eibach; they all give the car a nice little drop. As far as ride height, the F does sit lower, and is tuned for the track, and IMO does not need a drop. It is a track car straight from the factory. Although people do go the coilover route as well for a more comfortable ride, BC Racing and KW V3 are the most common.

For intakes:
Joe-Z, K&N, Takeda, Injen. If you do an advanced search and search 'intake' and select ISF forums only, you'll find info on these.

For insurance:
This depends on many factors, your driving record, age, location. My insurance went up a few $100 on the F as opposed to my 98 integra, which is expected.
Originally Posted by robertrios
Hey guys I am about to lock down an 08 ISF and I had a few random questions ive always wondered, I did a quick search and couldnt really find many direct answers.

First question is do Fsport Springs work on the ISF? Is it even needed, it looks like the stock ISF is lower than the stock 2IS, is that true?

Do they make an Fsport intake for the ISF, I couldnt find out on Sewell.

How much of a percentage increase spike did you see on your insurance prices with all other vairable being held constant.

Hopefully if all goes well my 2IS will go to my parents and ill have the ISF and an SC as my homes two vehicles.

Thanks everyone!
I think VJ hit the nail for all the questions you have...
Old 07-27-12, 09:43 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

My insurance jumped to an additional $1000 a year compared to when I had a 94 acura integra and a 2006 infiniti m35 sport. Dropped the integra, added the ISF, and the wife wasn't too happy about that big increase! hahaha
Old 07-27-12, 11:18 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

my ins went up around $400 a year from driving my g35 to the isf. not bad. but like others have said, your age, driving record, whether you have additional cars on the policy, etc., will affect the rate increase.
Old 07-27-12, 01:41 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

For insurance, why not get a quote(s) and see for yourself? It all depends if it's your primary car or a "leisure/weekend" car and how many miles you put on it per year, where your live, if it's garaged, coverage/deductive, etc. There's just so many factors. As for me personally, I pay $675 every 6 months with the F being my leisure car and a 2003 Matrix XRS as my primary car getting the bulk of the yearly mileage. It used to be $730 every 6 for both cars but now it went down this year. This is with Geico, a clean record, full coverage, misc. discounts, and $1k deductible.
Old 07-28-12, 12:27 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

For the 2012 head light update from sewell thats "plug and play" is there anything special I need to do for the ISF or is that process the same as with the regular 2IS?
Old 07-28-12, 01:00 AM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My insurance dropped over 50% from driving a STI to driving the 08 IS-F and I was really happy about it... although I did have a ticket fall off as well.
Old 07-28-12, 01:59 AM
mattsmee
Driver School Candidate

From 03 IS300 to 08 ISF, insurance monthly goes up 30 bucks. I turned 25 , otherwise it would have been even more..
Old 07-28-12, 05:08 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

mines going up 100 and i have no tickets and im 28, what limits are you guys getting this is with 100/300/100
Old 07-29-12, 07:20 AM
vudaddy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine went up about 20 bucks a month from
An RSX

Quick Reply: Questions before ISF purchase