IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Losing factory warranty after modfying Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 10:34 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Losing factory warranty after modfying Exhaust

I was told today by my local Lexus dealer that I will loose the factory warranty if I changed to after market exhaust for my ISF. So I asked them how can they prove that changing the exhaust caused engine damage. He said it is matter of time when they can prove and every warranty case will take 2-3 times long as they have to evaluate that the exhaust caused this.

So lame what's the suggestion.
Old 07-28-12, 10:51 AM
jchong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the exhaust! And go to a different dealership. I get lots of compliments every time I bring my car in for service.
Old 07-28-12, 11:01 AM
ALPHAF
Driver School Candidate

Magnuson-Moss Act
Old 07-28-12, 11:30 AM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never had a problem with my JoeZ, the techs always compliment me on it and tell me that this is how it shoulda came from factory. Go to another dealership
Old 07-28-12, 12:07 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 699 Likes on 613 Posts

go to another dealer, the magnuson moss law states that you have to prove that the modification affects the warranty or something like that. LOL.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-28-12, 12:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Your dealer is a Jack *** - Time for a new one. You may want to Lexus Corporate know about his snooty attitude. In other words he's FOS.

Lou
Old 07-28-12, 12:14 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinardalvi
I was told today by my local Lexus dealer that I will loose the factory warranty if I changed to after market exhaust for my ISF. So I asked them how can they prove that changing the exhaust caused engine damage. He said it is matter of time when they can prove and every warranty case will take 2-3 times long as they have to evaluate that the exhaust caused this.

So lame what's the suggestion.
Simple solution...pose the if question to Lexus Customer Support at Lexus Corp. Even of a local dealer says yes, you could incur trouble if a factory rep happens to be in town when something major needs to be done or needs to approve a major repair--a low likelihood but a possibility.

It is far to easy to blame problems on after-market parts.
Old 07-28-12, 01:35 PM
rapsquared
Driver

I agree with others, having an exhaust doesnt "void" anything unless it can be proven. If you have a MAF sensor issue for example they cant blame that on new pipes. Now if there is an o2 sensor failure then maybe but still a crappy dealer with a bad attitude
Old 07-28-12, 02:28 PM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the exhaust is post O2 sensors, and still has cats, the performance upgrade is going to be minimal anyway and very likely could not cause ANY problem - if anything the less restriction puts less strain on the motor and quite possibly will HELP longevity.

F em - do it anyway - the problem is you will never have enough money to fight them about it - if the local lexus dealer wants to deal with you that way just take the exhaust on and off.
Old 07-28-12, 02:42 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Your dealer is a Jack *** - Time for a new one. You may want to Lexus Corporate know about his snooty attitude. In other words he's FOS.

Lou
Tell us how you really feel, Lou!
Old 07-28-12, 04:49 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I 'm wrong but, I highly doubt that an exhaust will ever have any interference with mechanical problems or any electronic problems other than any sensors connected with the exhaust...
And +1 with everyone else change your dealer...
Old 07-28-12, 05:13 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I have a master tech that services my car at the dealership. After I got my ISS DES exhaust installed and took it in for service he told me after a test drive that the exhaust was "perfect". He said the exhaust and intake should be fine for warranty issues. Headers could bring it into question. Provided any issues were related.
Old 07-28-12, 05:24 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

try and find a different dealer.the dealer I go to knows I have headers,intake and exhaust ....warranty is still good.
Old 07-28-12, 06:17 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea like everyone said just find another dealership. Both dealerships here in Vegas gave me compliments on the Joe Z. Ask them why they sell the F Sport exhaust at the dealership if it voids the warranty?
Old 07-28-12, 07:34 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

uuummmm i have nitrous and kept my warranty till the end. If they can not prove that your modifaction directly caused the failing part you have warranty. that dealer blows...

Quick Reply: Losing factory warranty after modfying Exhaust