IS-F vs. E90 M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 11:23 AM
Endgame
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F vs. E90 M3

Hey All!

I have been a member of this forum for a short while but rarely post. In fact, I think this may be the first thread I started (then again, I have a terrible memory). I had a 370Z, which was cool, quick, and wild fun in the manner I had it tuned; but I sold her in January and have been carless since (I should say, I have been using the wife's T4R when in town...).

BUT, now I am starting to look again and really need a four door, sporty car with some power, but more "grown up" and professional. I am in much debate over an E90 M3 or IS-F. Not so much from a driving/performance perspective (as they both are superstars in their own right) but more from the reliability point of view. I WILL need an 'automatic' regardless of what get. My wife does not want to drive manuals, and I may have to have her drive my next car at times. ISF = no problem; M3 = DCT.

That said, I have tried to search and read up as much as possible on the reliability of both cars. I saw very few issues with the M3 (and the DCT tranny which is my greatest fear), and relatively no issues with the IS-F.

SORRY for doing this again to you fine forum members, but: Do I have anything to fear from the IS-F from a major failure perspective (engine, tranny, etc)? Are there any exceptional aftermarket warrantees that can be recommended? Are they good enough to cover those major issues?

I posted something similar in the M3 forum to hear their thoughts, but wanted to pick your brains also. I am leaning toward the M3. Should I readjust my mind and bring it back to neutral? Or does the IS-F have major points that should tilt me the Lexus way?

Again, sorry for asking this question again. Cheers All.
Old 08-05-12, 12:42 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO the 8 speed tranny is much better in the F. Also the Fs interior is much more attractive. The M interior seems very basic and plain.
Old 08-05-12, 12:51 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The IS-F vs. M3 argument has probably been beat to death by this forum, M3post, and practically every car enthusiast show and magazine out there, so there's certainly enough for you to spend hours upon hours reading.

To address your main question... reliability... if that is going to be the tiebreaker, you have to get the Lexus. The Lexus has a lower cost of repair, cheaper parts, and most importantly, less documented issues when compared to the M3. The E90 M3 is definitely less troublesome than the E90 335i is/was, but still, neither is as rock solid as the Lexus. I did a LOT of research before purchasing my car, and the only things I've seen are blown subs, rattling/loose rearview mirrors, and water pumps needing repair for the IS-F. This is a Toyota, remember... it is a solid car. Even still, for another ~$2K I was able to get a full coverage warranty that protects me until 75K miles or 2017, whichever comes first. I'm at 14,500 miles now on my 2009. I doubt you'll find anything that touches that for that cheap with a used BMW.

Now, there are a lot of other things to consider if you're cross-shopping the two cars, and you really have to drive both to see what you like more... but reliability is a solid check in the IS-F column.
Old 08-05-12, 01:12 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

since your looking for a reliable car, IS-F no doubt about it. Motor built by yamaha, etc.I daily my car and i've drove 30k miles last year and only problem i ran into was the water pump leak, which was minor. Buying aftermarket parts on this car is cheap compared to BMW. IS-F is a looker since its still rare.

If you still doubting it, good luck.
Old 08-05-12, 01:32 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 106 Posts

Endgame, believe me that many isf/m3 owners were in your posittion.
since you are leaning towards the m3, think why you are.
assess the pluses and only the pluses; in which categories does the m3 trump the isf, even if by a little?
although isf has great handling, m3 has better handling.
m3 has a much bigger aftermarket part selection.
...and that's where I stopped...2 pluses of the m3 over the isf.
isf beats the m3 in straight line speed (by just a tad), has a bigger wow factor, better looks (subjective), you'll be one of few with one on the road, more reliable and of course cheaper to maintain $$$.
..so really, I couldn't find the reason to pick an m3 over the isf.
then again, I got mine for a steal...

good luck with your choice, neither car will disappoint.
Old 08-05-12, 01:47 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's mainly subjective since the cars are similar in performance, but reliability and rarity is not. The facts are in the pudding: Lexus is more reliable, the ISF is way rarer. FWIW, my gf's 2011 328i (not M3 I know, but still BMW) has been in the shop for various annoying issues: trunk won't close properly, water leakage into passenger footwell area, brake pedal squeaks. A 2011 should not be in the shop for these reasons. Maybe there's a reason why BMW offers free service and maintenance for the first 4 years. I'm not one to follow the norm. I wanted something that not many others had....and the ISF does that for me. Looks, reliability and speed in one package. So I gave some facts and opinions.......good luck!

Threads on M3 vs. ISF: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=9247637
Then again you could also go onto the M3 forums and see what they say about our ISF's.
Old 08-05-12, 03:00 PM
mcauley
Pit Crew

I'm in the uk we only have a few isF and thousands of m3 I have had 3 m3 I do loads of miles and I find when a BMW gets more than 40 thousand miles it goes into self destruct the engine is good but the bushings are poor.
I now have 85 thousand on my F and not a single part yet other than discs and pads..
Old 08-05-12, 06:44 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Maybe there's a reason why BMW offers free service and maintenance for the first 4 years.
Bingo. Also, once you add options on the M3 from the lengthy list to get a car that has what comes standard on the F, you'll be looking at $10K more (or worse).
Old 08-05-12, 06:49 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the M3... then there will be another M3 for us into the streets to beat =)
Old 08-05-12, 07:16 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
Get the M3... then there will be another M3 for us into the streets to beat =)
I concur with that statement.
Old 08-05-12, 07:32 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

I have never met a single BMW owner (any model) that hasn't complained about maintenance issues (myself included). The M3 is a more sporty car but I'm at 60k in my ISF and don't have any fears of issues at all.

And when I recently shipped an ISF exhaust via Fedex the guy asked me what car it was for. He hadn't heard of the ISF before but when I mentioned that it was similar to an M3 he gave me an earfull about how his mother has had nothing but issues with her 5-series and that he's had BMW's in the past and had problems.

All of that was unsolicited. But I had to agree.

BMW's are fantastic cars...for the few years of their lives. Then they're expensive nuisances. I've had both 3 and 5 series cars and will never again buy them.
Old 08-05-12, 07:56 PM
Endgame
Driver

O.K....

1 to 2ndgf (you too lexsane): How rude!! But, very clever. LOL.
2. You are all perhaps spinning me in a different direction... I am going to chat with one of the guys in my office with an M3. He said he is still loving it after five years, but he just had to get something fixed and it was 'costly'. I am not sure what that means, but will chat with him next Monday.

Good stuff guys. On another note, I have seen more ISF's (four) in my part of AZ than M3s(three).. Just saying.....
Old 08-05-12, 08:18 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

What is the consensus on the M3 forum for your inquiry regarding which is more reliable M3 vs IS-F?
Old 08-05-12, 08:53 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy bought a used 2009 BMW 750Li had it for 1 month the drivers side halos went out costing him $1100 to get a new headlight housing and all.... Next day took it to the dealer and traded it in for a new Chevrolet pickup lol needless to say he said F that he'd never own another BMW.
Old 08-06-12, 01:48 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO

m3 = better package/fun more after market parts, more tuning options, 6spd manual (which you don't want), real LSD, more of a sports car turned street.
ISF=More reliable/almost as fun/no aftermarket other then bolt ons, more of street car turned in to a racer

Quick Reply: IS-F vs. E90 M3