IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Headers and intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 09:04 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Just to clarify...my dyno's were done with the hood closed and a fan aimed at the radiator. I don't believe in skewing the dyno results to make the numbers look good. Open hoods and fans or ice on the intake defy the whole purpose of what I was trying to do...try to find out how effective the different intakes truly were...Darshana S...
Old 08-08-12, 04:16 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Iid notice a large difference ofcoarse after I installed a short ram intake with a cone K&N filter and tossed the box, and mounted a deflector to capture more air around the intake. In the summer with heatsoak results can ofcoarse be diminising. When the car is at speed 50 mph and especially above 80 mph (note I hve headers and no cats, or resonator as well) the car pulls noticeably harder than with the factory airbox; and these results ofcoarse are increased exponentially as temperature outside are below 50 degrees F. I love results with the short ram. Anyone have any words of advice or same results? Also ive always pondered the though, but he not had the "guts" to take a hole saw through th front of the body where the intake sits above and to cut a hole through the body and brake vent to capture air as a "ram air effect". When I had the ram air box on my 01 FRC Corvette I had immense gains from the setup; ofcoarse was directly infront of the car keeping prob above 4 PSI atleast on the intake, wish the radiator on the was lower to have a similar setup or atleast fab one...
Old 08-10-12, 08:26 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've just installed the K&N intake tonight. Everything else is EXACTLY the same as the last couple of years. I'll try going to the strip again to see what numbers I pull. I've got about 50 runs with the stock setup that I can compare with. The only other difference being that I personally lost some weight - about 20 pounds. LOL Having said that, the intake roar is definitely louder and it feels like it's got a touch more power at the higher rpm range - perhaps the K&N filter is simply less restrictive?
Old 08-12-12, 06:50 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Well, I've just installed the K&N intake tonight. Everything else is EXACTLY the same as the last couple of years. I'll try going to the strip again to see what numbers I pull. I've got about 50 runs with the stock setup that I can compare with. The only other difference being that I personally lost some weight - about 20 pounds. LOL Having said that, the intake roar is definitely louder and it feels like it's got a touch more power at the higher rpm range - perhaps the K&N filter is simply less restrictive?
yes, my first reactions as well.. the resonance from the intake is quite loud and amazing and makes youfeel more connected with your engine, and what it wants so to speak
Old 08-12-12, 07:03 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the K&N is that you keep revving higher just to hear it. So my mpg is suffering. But just chilling in the carpool lane on the way to the in-laws today I still got 19.8mpg hwy in 94-degree weather. So I agree that any heatsoak issues become moot past 50mph. And the sound trade-off to me is worth it.
Old 08-13-12, 07:33 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I guess I drive kind of hard, I used to get 17 mpg on 75/25 HWY/City, now after headers I get 14 mpg on the same 75/25 HWY/City combination.

I did the flap mod last week but haven't been able to go to the track to compare numbers. It's been raining hard in South Florida, let's see how the weather is this coming weekend. The car revs happier though on the lower RPMs.
Old 08-17-12, 09:35 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Well, I just came back from the strip and the temperature was 70 degrees, the pressure was 29.83 inches Hg. The dew point was like 53 degrees. Conditions were not bad at all. Everything exactly as it used to be but the K&N intake. I lost 20 pounds so I had about 3 extra gallons of gas in the tank to make up for it so I was at 1/3 tank. But my results suck:

12.85@111, 12.86@111, 12.87@111, 12.81@111. All of the 60' times were 2.00

Considering that I used to run 1.8x on good times and 1.9x almost always and I had NO wheelspin, I must surmise that the K&N intake sucks in hot air at low RPM and the engine must pull timing or something. The first thing I am doing tomorrow is taking off the intake and going back to the track. Tomorrow is actually practically identical weather as today and I even put the same amount of gas back in. We'll see....
Old 08-18-12, 01:55 AM
mishkinm5
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think without tuning being an option stock intake with joez or silicone elbow afe wet drop in filter is the best intake with flap enabled. Now if we will be able to tune the car I think running flapless will yield positive results.
Old 08-19-12, 07:37 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I haven't been able to go to the track yet but I've been driving with the 2nd stage flap opened for over a week. This thing is tricky, the sound makes you think as the car is going faster, but at the same time I feel like is't actually bogging down. Some cars that I know are slower than me were trying to race me during the week, they all put a couple of cars from a stop but then I'd pass them with no problem. I feel like I was supposed to be in front from the beginning, so this weekend I decided to go back to stock and plug the actuator back. I don't feel the car bogging down anymore, it seems to be quicker now. I still think that a better intake is in need, so I guess I'll keep researching.
Old 08-19-12, 07:59 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Juanca, get yourself a VBOX. You can do 0-30 mph all day and compile some data with the flap closed vs. open. FWIW, I don't think there is significant improvement either way. What we REALLY need is for somebody to tune the TCU. First gear is already pretty short so we don't need to go to a 4:1 diff (and sacrifice fuel consumption) but if we could get the stall to like 2500-3500 rpm, it would be awesome. At 1250-1500 rpm, the IS-F engine is low in torque so we really can't get a good launch. Those muscle cars cut 60' times of 1.5 seconds all day long and have worse trap speeds. That ALONE would make a 12.5 car into mid 11 second car.
Old 08-19-12, 08:39 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

What year is your ISF Doc? I think 2012 keeps RPMs higher before spinning the tires than my 2008, LSD vs. ESD. We need a higher stall though, I agree!