IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Took the F to Emissions Testing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 10:03 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts
Thumbs up Took the F to Emissions Testing...

Got a notice in the mail for my '08 IS-F that it was time to be smogged...Illinois plate renewal is coming in up August. (which will probably go up in price thanks to our liberal scum governor..but I digress..)

When I arrived at the testing facility and pulled into the bay the younger kid (looked maybe 20 max) was all excited to see the car and that caused a couple of his other buddies to come over.

It was dead there so we chatted for a while, I told them all about the cars I've had..only one of them knew what an IS-F was..the other guys couldn't believe Lexus made a car like it, or that it had a V8 in it. They had mentioned that this is the first time seeing an IS-F at all at their testing facility. The younger kid told me he had just ordered an intake for his new Civic Si..he seemed really excited.....

Its fun to have something that other people want to check out and actually get to share it with other "car" people. The last time I went to this facility was with my 6.0L GTO with no cats and when it sat there idling you could smell the gas (the car was still in open loop) it was funny watching the guy go "with an exhaust that smells like that, I can't believe you passed!"

Anyways..that was the experience.

I am interested if any of you guys have the same reactions when you took your F to emissions...

Last edited by MisterSkiz; 08-09-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 10:36 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took mine in for inspection to a small shop last month and all the mechanics were like "how much was it???" I just told them "a lot" and drove away.
Old 08-09-12, 12:02 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I took mine in for inspection to a small shop last month and all the mechanics were like "how much was it???" I just told them "a lot" and drove away.
Oh, no you didn't pull that "more than you can afford, pal" line.

Surprisingly that has been the #1 question I get asked.... "how much did this cost you, if you don't mind my asking." I guess I'm not like a lot of people in that it really doesn't offend me that people ask. I just tell them what I paid. No biggie.

I've had some nicely modified cars in my 17+ years of driving, though nothing quite as expensive out the door as the IS-F. I think it is the rarity of it, but none of my other cars have ever gotten CLOSE to the attention and questions as this one.
Old 08-09-12, 12:13 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get you, I didn't want to come off as cocky, my friends (and ISF buddies of course) know how much I paid. But a random stranger can't approach me and ask me how much I paid, it's offensive IMO.

In the same way I wouldn't walk up to a random Ferrari or Lamborghini owner at the C&C events I go to and ask them "how much did you pay?"
Old 08-09-12, 12:24 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
I get you, I didn't want to come off as cocky, my friends (and ISF buddies of course) know how much I paid. But a random stranger can't approach me and ask me how much I paid, it's offensive IMO.

In the same way I wouldn't walk up to a random Ferrari or Lamborghini owner at the C&C events I go to and ask them "how much did you pay?"
Oh, I agree... I wouldn't ask the question myself, but when I do get the question I just figure I'll go ahead and answer rather than get offended by it. PERSONALLY I don't really find the question offensive (how much I make per year is an offensive question though).

Some of the guys at the local C&Cs down here will actually put the window sticker on display on some of the exotics. Not many, but some do. You KNOW everyone wants to know how much the car was (and what the person does for a living) but most have enough tact not to ask.
Old 08-09-12, 07:38 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats emission testing.......