IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Road Trip to Pike's Peak/Bonneville/Woodward

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 04:23 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Dude...this is an awesome idea. I look forward to all your pics and shenanigans! Drive safe!

I wish the SoCal IS F guys can put something like this together...I think it would be awesome to cruise up north to SF together and take PCH all the way up!
I'm down for this. Plan it out at least a month ahead.
Old 08-10-12, 04:36 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words everyone! We just rolled into Colorado Springs, CO. Just dumping our stuff off at the hotel then will be heading to Fan Fest. I'll post more pictures up in a few hours. The horse mask will be making a daily appearance as well. lol
Old 08-10-12, 04:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You did tape up your front end with painter's tape, right? LOL
Old 08-11-12, 12:28 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

I have the roll of painter's tape in my car but backed out at the last minute. There's a bug graveyard on my bumper now. lol

Day 2 came and went. Most of it was spent driving through Kansas. I'll sum that up in one picture:

Yep, you have now seen all of Kansas.

I did play around a little with the GoPro my friend let us borrow. It took a few attempts, but found figured out the correct button sequence to push.

After we checked in to our hotel, we went to Fan Fest in Downtown Colorado Springs. We got to meet a lot of the drivers (who were all great) and saw a lot of the vehicles that will be competing on Sunday. I wasn't able to find the CCS-R. I don't even know if it was there, but I looked everywhere for that thing. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

On to the pictures.

Tomorrow I'll be visiting family out here in Colorado Springs, but am hoping to head out and find some fun roads to drive on. I'm not sure how many pictures I'll take tomorrow, but I'll post any that I do.
Old 08-11-12, 12:53 AM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, nice pictures!
Old 08-11-12, 10:39 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That sounds like an awesome road trip, enjoy! Funny pics, nice to see people recycling there old tires LOL.
Old 08-11-12, 12:06 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Man, I wish I saw this sooner. I rolled down there last night and drove back. About 160 miles to find out no CCS-R at Fanfest. Crappy for sure as I heard it was at a private dealer event that night.
If you are coming back through CO hit us up.

My pics https://plus.google.com/photos/11704...81027453490353
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-11-12, 07:13 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FIGS
Man, I wish I saw this sooner. I rolled down there last night and drove back. About 160 miles to find out no CCS-R at Fanfest. Crappy for sure as I heard it was at a private dealer event that night.
If you are coming back through CO hit us up.

My pics https://plus.google.com/photos/11704...81027453490353
Fig
Hmm, I wonder if they would have let me in to the dealer event since I'm a Toyota employee? I doubt it. I'm on the engineering side and not the sales end anyway. They don't lie my kind.

We are heading up to Denver tomorrow night after the Hill Climb. Another friend said there is a huge meet that takes place in Denver on Sundays, so we're going to try to attend before we head to the Bonneville Salt Flats for Speed Week.

If you're around Monday morning, I'd love to stop by and say hi! We are planning to go to JDM Legends and Salt Flats Speed Shop if we are able to make it up there in time, so a FIGS sighting would be a great addition to the auto overload.

On a thread related note. I'll be posting up some pictures from Garden of the Gods after I get back from dinner.
Old 08-11-12, 10:13 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Day 3 has been the most, and probably only, laid back day of the trip. We cruised around a tried to sample a little of what Colorado Springs had to offer. First we met up with a cousin of mine that is living in the area while her house is being built. She gave us a few suggestions, so we took them and hit the ground running. We decided to go to Old Colorado City as our first non-family stop. It was neat to walk down and look in small shops.

I will say, seeing a chocolate covered Twinkie was my favorite part of the walk. I was tempted to try one, but I've already eaten too much bad food this trip. By body probably hates me right now and I'm only 3 days in!

After that we went to the Garden of the Gods. It offered some amazing views.

On our way home from the Garden of the Gods, we stopped to look at a Cog train. It was the first one I had ever seen. Very cool history on them if you get a chance to look them up.

Tomorrow will be a VERY early day since we have to drive up the road leading to Pike's Peak before they shut it down. Since we don't have a good idea on how our bodies react to altitudes above 11,900ft, we will be going to Cove Creek for the Hill Climb. After that, we will be making the drive up to Denver for the night. I'll do my best to post the Hill Climb pictures tomorrow, but it's going to be a long day. I will get them up ASAP though!
Old 08-13-12, 08:35 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

Day 4: Pike's Peak International Hill Climb

Yesterday was a looooong day. Wake up before the sun and head to sit on the side of a mountain for the rest of the day? Sounds like a plan to me! On the drive up the mountain I spotted an ISF CCS with CO Dealer plates. I had my friend Cody take a picture of it as we drove by, so I'll post it when I get his pictures. In the meantime, here are a few from the drive up.

Since it was our first time to Pike's Peak and weren't sure how our bodies would handle the elevation, Cody and I decided to post up at Glen Cove to watch the hill climb. We found a spot near the turn and nestled in for a day of racing (and lots of red flags).

I will say we did handle the altitude better than this poor guy

Once we saw the Audi pace car roll through, we knew it was time to start!

First came the motorcycles and 4 wheelers:

Old 08-13-12, 08:46 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

and finally on to the cars!

Unfortunately, one of the two RS200s had mechanical failures shortly before it got to us. Fortunately, it was towed near us! Naturally, I had to snap some pictures of this rare beast.

This as the last time we saw this Evo before it took a horrible trip off the side of the mountain. From what I heard, the driver and navigator were both injured, but stable:

We had a lot of rain in the latter half of the afternoon, so we moved down of our spot on the hill to the parking area. It let us dip into the car if things got too nasty. We did hop out for some pictures when it wasn't raining too bad.

Old 08-13-12, 08:49 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

After the race was over, all of the competitors drove down the mountain and thanked everyone for coming (except for a Porsche GT3 driver that was too cool for the common folk)

Unfortunately, not all cars made the trip back down on their own.

Old 08-13-12, 08:55 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

I'm attempting to upload videos now, but the hotel internet connection sucks. I'll see how things are in the next hotel and give it another shot.

Today we drive to Salt Lake City for the night. Tomorrow we head to the Bonneville Salt Flats for a sample of Speed Week!
Old 08-13-12, 10:09 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

That Evo tumbling was one of the scariest things I have seen in a long time. Whoever built their cage saved their lives..
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions