IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pull the Whole motor to replace Headers???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 10:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by zojirushi
For those who mentioned that an alignment is required, is it a conventional wheel alignment or is it a specialized alignment for the subframe?
I've had it done. To install my PPE headers required removal of the sub-frame. When the frame is put back on, the installer trys to get it as close to the original position as possible (the frame is marked before removal of the sub-frame). Then we took my car to alignment shop and they did a normal four wheel alignment.

Lou
Old 08-11-12, 06:20 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blitz_714
IT has nothing to do with pulling the motor, just relocate the dipstick and drop subframe a bit to install header, and steering shaft. Come to socal , one of our good friends installed 3 headers already
Dnt feel bad, as we were installing my headers, we found two of the outlets on the passenger side manifold were cracked as well....I dont think that the factory manifold was that thought through anyway do to the crappy outlet routings and prob cracked considering you have extreme header, transverse torque applied to manifold mounts as motor moves, and so thus you have flat clamps/brackets that pretting much clamp the inner portion of the manifold to the block..and they are quite thin.. (Im sure the guys at toyota.lexus ofcoarse have an amazing staff im just rambling incase anyone feels emotional about statement )..so I could see this could be a continous prob may dont know about or consider.. My headers were installed by a local lexus tech, and he killed it in less than 5 hours!

Last edited by StealthFF; 08-11-12 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:26 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking that marking the subframe and chassis would be a good help regarding subframe alignment as well. I am installing my headers this week and I will do so but I think checking alignment wouldn't hurt regardless.

I remember someone in another thread had mentioned a shop giving a crazy quote over $1,000 to install headers because they wanted to pull the motor. I think it's a commen misconception.
Old 08-11-12, 10:44 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The 1st header which is my car=guinea pig , took about 4hrs and half because we had to modified the sikky dipstick a bit , plus being the 1st we had to make sure everything were correct. 2nd Sikky header install was like 3 hr half. 3rd header which was PPE , less than 3 hrs installed no issue with dipstick
Old 08-11-12, 04:51 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should be receiving my PPE headers by the end of the month. Sux I have to wait that long just to get my headers.
Old 08-11-12, 05:04 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Good things come for those who waits PPE customers service is top notch, they sent me o2 sensors over night with no charged, it was missing from the shipment for my IS350 header. Paul and his brother were great.
Old 08-11-12, 09:00 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Capn
He's up north, but he works down here. And I am off 106th too, but in So. Jo.

If it's not raining in the morning, i'll be heading to Cars n Coffee around 9 (106th and 700 west - Beans n Brew). Swing by. Maybe we can get some of the other IS-F guys there too.
Next time if you guys go, let me know so I can tag along, I'd love to meet other Lexus owners so I can tell them about our meets
Old 08-13-12, 07:19 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we started talking about headers for the ISF years ago the only option for installation was pulling the engine, later on it was mentioned that installation could be performed from the bottom by dropping the subframe, and that's the route everyone is taking. Dealers may do manifold work pulling the engine, I don't have the Lexus/Toyota service manual to confirm.

As people have said, no matter how good you mark the subframe and steering components before installing the headers, you need to go through a four wheel alignment. The fact that your installer didn't do the alignment doesn't mean that the headers' installation was done it the right way.

Two more facts, PPE headers are easier, faster, and cleaner to install than Sikky's. Also PPE doesn't require the dipstick to be relocated at all.

BTW, my installation was done at a Lexus dealer and my comments are based on my conversation with the Lexus tech guys. In my case they installed the headers from the bottom, not pulling the engine.
Old 08-13-12, 12:23 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Verified my alignment before and after. No change. Im not trying to argue this fact but an alignment is not needed if done right.
Old 08-13-12, 12:25 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Im going to do a write up for this and then people can see why an alignment is not needed..stay tuned...
Old 08-13-12, 01:02 PM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great that I would not need an alignment when I get my headers installed. I probably just do an alignment anyway when my coilovers settled/sag. Im also having issues on my tires having outside wear.
Old 08-13-12, 01:21 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by amgone75
Im going to do a write up for this and then people can see why an alignment is not needed..stay tuned...
Keep us posted on your write up! And take plenty of pics please

I plan on tackling this on my own in the garage so any or all info would be greatly appreciated

Keep up the tips and feedback guys! Plenty of useful info on this thread
Old 08-20-12, 06:49 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

just wanted to give an update on the diy for no alignment needed during header install.. ive been busy with moving houses and work but hopefully this week ill have a chance to sit down and write out a diy.
Old 08-20-12, 06:53 PM
DonTN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amgone75
just wanted to give an update on the diy for no alignment needed during header install.. ive been busy with moving houses and work but hopefully this week ill have a chance to sit down and write out a diy.
THANK YOU! I look forward to the DIY
Old 08-20-12, 07:27 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by datplayaz
Next time if you guys go, let me know so I can tag along, I'd love to meet other Lexus owners so I can tell them about our meets
:O Dat...did you end up buying a Lexus? I remember you from Acurazine...My SN was Revolutions...WDP TL with Gold Volk GT-S

I think the last time I saw you though, you had HKS exhaust, and bronze TE37s? I think this was like....6 years ago...lol

OK BACK ON TOPIC!