IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

FIGS OS Giken LSD swap write up

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 08:29 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea it's definetly one of my next mods, so on a 08 model what is done with the Elsd computer stuff? Does it freak out the cars computer systems when u are drifting lol?
Old 11-01-14, 03:50 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Nm figured it out yesterday, can't wait for a giken now
Old 05-30-16, 08:41 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. I have an O.S. Giken LSD installed and need some information on diff fluid change. It currently has OS250R Full Synthetic Gear Oil and has 5000 miles on it. Should I be changing the fluid every 5k, 10k, 15k?

Also, I've read a few threads on which oil to use but still could use some info. Would Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 be a comparable alternative instead of the OS250R? It being a clutch type lsd I want to make sure I use the right fluid.
Old 05-14-17, 06:58 AM
rfetchev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlIS
Resurrecting this thread. I have an O.S. Giken LSD installed and need some information on diff fluid change. It currently has OS250R Full Synthetic Gear Oil and has 5000 miles on it. Should I be changing the fluid every 5k, 10k, 15k?

Also, I've read a few threads on which oil to use but still could use some info. Would Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 be a comparable alternative instead of the OS250R? It being a clutch type lsd I want to make sure I use the right fluid.
Same help for me... need some information on diff fluid change... type, brands, volume...
Old 05-14-17, 10:47 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are using a quality gear oil, there is no reason to change it. Certainly not at 5000 miles and maybe not even at 40,000 miles. Synthetic oil will last a long, long time under normal use.

Use a fluid acceptable to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer says to change it at a certain mileage, he is probably thinking severe duty.

If I told you how may times I've changed differential oil and wondered why, after looking at what came out, well.

All other automobile and truck lubes, different story
Old 05-15-17, 05:33 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenr
If you are using a quality gear oil, there is no reason to change it. Certainly not at 5000 miles and maybe not even at 40,000 miles. Synthetic oil will last a long, long time under normal use.

Use a fluid acceptable to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer says to change it at a certain mileage, he is probably thinking severe duty.

If I told you how may times I've changed differential oil and wondered why, after looking at what came out, well.

All other automobile and truck lubes, different story
Not to sound like a jerk but it's pretty obvious that neither of you guys really read this thread or did your homework.

Figs mentiones using Amsoil and then there is also mention of Royal Purple on page 1

The statement regrading never changing diff oil is a blanket statement and it doesn't work that way. There are many different types of rear diffs and they all have there own requirements. The OS Giken is a rather expensive clutch type diff and anyone that would be so cheap as to not change the fluid in it would be a fool.

The comment regarding synthetic gear oil lasting a very long time can be used for open mechanical diffs if you want to hold on to that way of thinking.
Old 11-18-21, 12:47 PM
ApexLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
That was my thought initially as well however keep in mind that this diff unit is different than the Torsen unit found in the later models. These are true locking diffs and not torque multiplying differentials. So even when on a lift, both wheels will spin in the same direction instead of needing a differential torque event to activate the Locking mechanism.
http://www.osgiken.net/techcenter.php
does anyone know if the OSG fits into the 2010+ Torsen housing without having to grind it down?
Old 11-19-21, 07:49 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexLexus
does anyone know if the OSG fits into the 2010+ Torsen housing without having to grind it down?
Yes, it will fit with no grinding in the current and Torsen housings.
Also, we have 2 on hand as well as the non-TCD version that was released recently.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions