IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Artisan Spirits Track Day2 - Autobahn Country Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 09:35 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Artisan Spirits Track Day2 - Autobahn Country Club

Took my IS-F out to the track hosted by AMS Performance Track Day and had a blast at the renowned Autobahn Country Club. Since AMS hosted the event, it only cost $250 for a full day of driving, which equates to 6 sessions at about 20 minutes per. Membership for Autobahn Country Club is only $35K per year...

My advice to anyone who hasn't taken their IS-F to the track, please do, as you are missing out on a lot of engineering (fun-factor) built into this car, for this purpose. Let me say this when you're at the track or at least a track that is halfway responsible or professional, as they will say this plenty of times, "THIS IS NOT A RACE!" Events like these are controlled driving with rules (e.g., passing, pit, etc) to follow so that everyone can drive home with what they drove to the track with...

This is my second time at the track, and OMG it was fun as heck. This is my first time with traction controll OFF (never 100% off). It was an adrenaline rush. It was a great day of ACTUAL driving (i.e., traction control off, manual mode, paddle shifted, and the best part was the sliding here and there). Even spun out (almost 360) onto grass coming out of a corner, too much gas, too early in lower gear. I remember plenty of Gran Turismo 5 rounds where my car would spin-out and even though I try to regain control, it would do nothing, but follow the path of physics and onto the grass. After I came to a stop, I told myself, "****, this is just like Gran Turismo b/c I couldn’t do anything to gain control"....lol.

The spin-out was invaluable b/c I got to experience it without any repercussion. You can mess up, harmlessly slide around in the grass, and learn from it rather than spin-out and possibly yourself and someone else on the streets!

Also, this is my second time at the track, and I still have good stock pads, Pirellis P-Zeros are still fine, and so are my HREs. The only money I’ve spent are the registration fees and food/drinks to fill up the cooler for the day. Well I bought a quart of oil and some brake fluids, but that’s nothing. It’s not expensive, if you pace yourself, and don't get into trouble. Try it out folks, you won't regret it. You'll be hooked. Owning an F is one thing, but learning how to drive it is what's it all about.

Thanks to Lobuxracer for his thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...d-to-know.html

Tech Inspection Line - It drizzled early in the morning, but by track, it was dry.

Lineup at the start

Tracking!!

South Track
Old 08-15-12, 10:05 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun!
Old 08-16-12, 06:30 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

It gets more ADDICTING each time, as you gain more experience. It doesn't hurt either that the F has so much power that you end up passing a lot of people....lol.
Old 08-16-12, 08:09 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

BRAVO! Good stuff man.
Old 08-16-12, 04:58 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Yea tracking the ISF is an amazing experience. Looking forward to getting back out to Road America later this year. Glad you had a blast. Looks like a BRZ up there at the front; did you get a chance to check it out at all?
Old 08-16-12, 05:41 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

It was pretty fun when I drove the F there.

If I correctly remember I got the F up to 110-115mph on the stretch between 10 and 11 in the picture posted above.

Remember with turns its "slow in, fast out" or "slow in, alive out".

What is with the pillows in between your headrest and back seats? Is that some type of new exotic HANS system?
Old 08-16-12, 07:05 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Finalmsfan
Yea tracking the ISF is an amazing experience. Looking forward to getting back out to Road America later this year. Glad you had a blast. Looks like a BRZ up there at the front; did you get a chance to check it out at all?
I have to think about Road America.... The reason is that Autobahn is so close to my house that in case something happens to my car, at least I have the option of "limping" home. With Road America, I'm at least a couple of hours away. But I have to do it now that I've become addicted.

That BRZ was alright. It is track capable, but just under powered. It could do nothing against the AWD Evos and STIs there that day. Now they were eating up the track. I prefer the BRZ over the FRS, but it didn't swept me off my feet that day. The owner had his pit spot next to mine, and wasn't all that hyper about how it handled. It could be that it was his first time tracking it so he had nothing to compare it to.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
It was pretty fun when I drove the F there.

If I correctly remember I got the F up to 110-115mph on the stretch between 10 and 11 in the picture posted above.

Remember with turns its "slow in, fast out" or "slow in, alive out".

What is with the pillows in between your headrest and back seats? Is that some type of new exotic HANS system?
No ***t, you were there that day too, in your F? Now that's cool, wonder why I didn't see you? What color is your F? As for the stretch between 10 and 11, I was only able to get up to 100-105 before I had to brake so you must have gone deep into the corner... Speeding out of corner 9 in preparation for corner 10 was where I spun out. At the moment of slippage, as I sped away from corner 9 trying to get onto the other side in preparation for corner 10, I thought it was going to be similar to the other corners, aka controlled fun mini-slide/drift, but it kept on sliding/drifting until I was on the grass.....damn it was fun!

As for the JP neck pads, they're only in the front seats... And yes, they do make great HANs device on and off the track.... I prefer them b/c the color matches Alpine perfectly. Oh, the neckpads don't go well with ponytails so get your girls approval prior to commiting.

Did you go to the recent one (Aug 8th) held by MVP Track Time? The whole 3.56 mile full circuit was opened this time. I'm still waiting on pictures from that day.
Old 08-17-12, 06:23 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PurduePete
No ***t, you were there that day too, in your F? Now that's cool, wonder why I didn't see you? What color is your F? As for the stretch between 10 and 11, I was only able to get up to 100-105 before I had to brake so you must have gone deep into the corner... Speeding out of corner 9 in preparation for corner 10 was where I spun out. At the moment of slippage, as I sped away from corner 9 trying to get onto the other side in preparation for corner 10, I thought it was going to be similar to the other corners, aka controlled fun mini-slide/drift, but it kept on sliding/drifting until I was on the grass.....damn it was fun!
I have been there twice, once for Lexus' IS-F day when the car came out in 08 and one last July for some Miata club I think. The North Track is fun as well...kinda of bumpy though.
Old 08-17-12, 09:06 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Lots of fun
Old 08-17-12, 09:47 AM
LBmtb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to the track really teaches you the importance of the "driver mod." Sadly, it also shows you what a small percentage of "auto enthusiasts" actually track their cars.