IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Stock intake vs. K&N intake and VBOX accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 01:07 AM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are really willing to give away your intake, I would love to give it a new home. I'd like to try it for the sound!
Old 08-20-12, 05:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Young, Definitly stick with the stock intake or a pipe replacement option only as well as the OEM filter. There are no real world gains away from the dyno. Any other intake on the market that deviates from the stock configuration will be inferior. Ran my 11 second run with stock intake/filter and pulled 400+ whp on both dynojet an dynapack. Focus on the exhaust and the weight savings as you have been doing and you'll be good to go.

Good luck man!

Last edited by caymandive; 08-20-12 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 08:13 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ True, the stock airbox is the way to go. What I don't like is the 90-degree bend on the snorkel and how tight it gets there, I'm sure right there is where we can find some performance improvements.
Old 08-20-12, 08:16 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

No problem Doc, I remember that thread and indeed it was convincing!

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
My bad. Sorry didn't mean to screw it up Juanca. My memory is foggy after 4 years of beers LOL. But there was a rather convincing writeup and test of the K&N intake by that one dude who did all sorts of dyno testing and I really was hoping it was going to give me some easy HP.
Old 08-20-12, 11:54 AM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up. I like this kind of apples to apples comparison. I do have the K&N intake but there is absolutely no gain that I perceive and the fuel economy is poorer, but that said sound is better. Weight reduction is the key. However 18" tires are hard to digest for a pretty car like F. I know they will run faster, but will not do justice to how the car looks. I think we should wait until someone cracks the engine for force induction. Without that we will never see a perceivable difference.
Old 08-20-12, 12:12 PM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing a K&N intake is gonna do for you is F up your MAF sensor and set you back a wad of cash.
Old 08-20-12, 02:59 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Great read, thanks!

I put on the K&N while waiting for an exhaust because I figured it would give me some noise to enjoy. I do love it but I'll likely go back to the stock intake now that I have the exhaust on the car. The K&N sound is absolutely amazing but I don't think it's doing much besides noise.

I mean, it's been 4-5 years of the ISF being on the road and there is still such uncertainty about intakes. I think it's fairly safe to say that any gains are negligible in either the + or - direction. The K&N *appears* to shift the powerband up a bit, but I agree that it may just be the rawkous noise deceiving us.

On a side note...with temps between 90-100 for the past couple weeks I have to admit that the stock intake box seems the best bet for me personally. So I will likely switch back to it this week to see if I can tell the difference.

Last edited by anxiouz; 08-20-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 05:16 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Incredible knowledge and group of subject matter experts...great thread guys. Thanks!
Old 08-20-12, 05:35 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotspd2
If you are really willing to give away your intake, I would love to give it a new home. I'd like to try it for the sound!
LOL... sorry, literally TODAY was garbage day and now it's already in a landfill somewhere. Too bad because It was practically brand new - but I figured nobody would seriously want it after what I posted.
Old 08-20-12, 05:37 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ashutoshvs
Very nice write up. I like this kind of apples to apples comparison. I do have the K&N intake but there is absolutely no gain that I perceive and the fuel economy is poorer, but that said sound is better. Weight reduction is the key. However 18" tires are hard to digest for a pretty car like F. I know they will run faster, but will not do justice to how the car looks. I think we should wait until someone cracks the engine for force induction. Without that we will never see a perceivable difference.
I have the 18s is for my winter setup - but I have 6 rims. 4 winter tires and 2 drag tires. They were originally for my IS350, but they never saw duty on the IS350 and now they're relegated to winter snow and fall drag racing use only. A shame because they are Volk RE30s. The offset is wrong (correct for IS350) so literally the track of the car is almost 1/2 inch less than stock.
Old 08-22-12, 05:47 PM
VicTornin
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Young, Definitly stick with the stock intake or a pipe replacement option only as well as the OEM filter. There are no real world gains away from the dyno. Any other intake on the market that deviates from the stock configuration will be inferior. Ran my 11 second run with stock intake/filter and pulled 400+ whp on both dynojet an dynapack. Focus on the exhaust and the weight savings as you have been doing and you'll be good to go.

Good luck man!
Almost bought the Injen.. Good info Caymandive.
Old 08-23-12, 06:05 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

A little off topic, but saw reference to a vbox and don't know too much about it. I have been thinking of getting one for some time. I don't want to spend a lot, and only want the ability to accurately calculate acceleration and lap times. I would like to be able to quickly transfer from my ISF to my CBR1000rr. Is the VBOX in the link below my best bet? Thanks in advance.

http://vboxusa.com/store/index.php?m...d4fdac91217767
Old 08-23-12, 09:46 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

The more I read and think about the vbox the cooler I think it is. I would enjoy playing around with something like that.

My random comment of the day: the temps have gone down recently and my car certainly "feels better" slightly. I'm still using the K&N. Saturday morning I'm planning on going back to stock before it gets too warm and doing back-to-back tests to see if I can tell a difference.

I do feel like down low (around 2k rpm) there's a little dead area where the car has a slight...not hesitation but a hair of a lag or lull for an instant. Only under partial throttle. It's audible too. I don't think it's specific to any intake, but does anyone know what that is? I've always thought it was the variable intake timing changing. But does anyone know? I think with the K&N it's more noticeable but even stock I'm pretty sure it felt about the same.