IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 09:57 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
hey mike i have a questions for you, i have an '08 model with almost 90K miles on it an i am pretty sure the suspension needs to be replace or upgrade it. my question for you is what springs rates should i get to make the suspension better and more comfortable than the stock '08? i am no planning on tracking the car but i wanna improve handling and comfort on it, it is my daily driver and i am also keeping it stock for winter purposes and maybe lower it down 1 inch on the summer

thanks.
Either option will be vastly more comfortable that the stock valving. The additional spring rate has less to do with pure comfort and more to do with how the car will be used and the additional energy the suspension will need to handle.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-13-16, 12:47 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
Either option will be vastly more comfortable that the stock valving. The additional spring rate has less to do with pure comfort and more to do with how the car will be used and the additional energy the suspension will need to handle.
thanks for the info mike, so to be clear a set of 14/10 with swift springs should be enough to make the car rider better than stock suspension correct?
Old 02-13-16, 12:49 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

or should i get a 16/12 with swift springs since i am planning on getting aftermarket wheels in the future? just asking as i wanna make sure i buy the right stuff and buy it only once
Old 02-13-16, 09:32 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
or should i get a 16/12 with swift springs since i am planning on getting aftermarket wheels in the future? just asking as i wanna make sure i buy the right stuff and buy it only once
If you plan on a more aggressive wheel setup in the future just go 16/12 now. The 16/12 will just allow you more usable settings for more aggressive driving without worrying about bottoming. Springs are just a travel limit, damping controls how fast you reach that theoretical limit in time.
As a gross generalization, think of it like the spring rate is your total power, the damping is the accelerator pedal. The key to comfort is all in the damping as it controls the suspension response over the bound of the spring force. The more demand you put on the suspension the higher the gross rate needs to be to allow the fluid to still address the smaller scale movements. If you start over-damping, you slow down the response of the shock all together and heat up the fluid, increase pressure etc. So our spring rate scale is intended to keep the shock happy for a long time and allow better damping characteristics and usable range.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 02-13-16, 09:24 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by FIGS
If you plan on a more aggressive wheel setup in the future just go 16/12 now. The 16/12 will just allow you more usable settings for more aggressive driving without worrying about bottoming. Springs are just a travel limit, damping controls how fast you reach that theoretical limit in time.
As a gross generalization, think of it like the spring rate is your total power, the damping is the accelerator pedal. The key to comfort is all in the damping as it controls the suspension response over the bound of the spring force. The more demand you put on the suspension the higher the gross rate needs to be to allow the fluid to still address the smaller scale movements. If you start over-damping, you slow down the response of the shock all together and heat up the fluid, increase pressure etc. So our spring rate scale is intended to keep the shock happy for a long time and allow better damping characteristics and usable range.
Mike

thanks mike, as soon as i am ready to order i will let you know!
Old 02-16-16, 12:07 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

Just wanted to give a quick review about the BC Coilovers with the 16k/12k Swift upgrade.... I've been daily driving/commuting with my 2008 F for the past 60k+ miles so I have a lot of seat time with the stock suspension. I finally ordered a set of these coilovers from Figs (great transaction and price point), and got them installed yesterday.

Ride quality: its not a night and day difference, but its noticeably better. I still have to play around with the dampening, but the car absorbs the smaller and larger bumps a bit better than the stock 08 suspension. Its not so "jarring" when I hit some of these sharp bumps on the highway. The car also feels more stable and planted through turns. I ended up lowering the car quiet a bit (not slammed) but enough to get rid of the wheel gap... and I can honestly say it doesn't drive or feel like the car is lowered.

For those of you who daily your cars and have this set up, what are your recommended dampening settings?
Old 02-16-16, 12:26 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
Just wanted to give a quick review about the BC Coilovers with the 16k/12k Swift upgrade.... I've been daily driving/commuting with my 2008 F for the past 60k+ miles so I have a lot of seat time with the stock suspension. I finally ordered a set of these coilovers from Figs (great transaction and price point), and got them installed yesterday.

Ride quality: its not a night and day difference, but its noticeably better. I still have to play around with the dampening, but the car absorbs the smaller and larger bumps a bit better than the stock 08 suspension. Its not so "jarring" when I hit some of these sharp bumps on the highway. The car also feels more stable and planted through turns. I ended up lowering the car quiet a bit (not slammed) but enough to get rid of the wheel gap... and I can honestly say it doesn't drive or feel like the car is lowered.

For those of you who daily your cars and have this set up, what are your recommended dampening settings?
glad to hear is better but i would definitely like to hear more from some that daily drives their car with the same setup
Old 12-13-16, 10:58 PM
taitduong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinking of doing swift spring 16k front and 10k in the rear ill let you know how that goes.
Old 12-14-16, 08:08 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Installing BC with Swift 14/10. Gonna try 10F 15R from full stiff in my 08 F this week. Will also update.
Old 12-14-16, 08:40 AM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Installing BC with Swift 14/10. Gonna try 10F 15R from full stiff in my 08 F this week. Will also update.
I have BC without swift springs(14K/12K) and I started with 10 and 15 clicks but felt too "stiff" for daily. I'm at 20F and 25R now.
Old 12-14-16, 08:48 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by USB_F
I have BC without swift springs(14K/12K) and I started with 10 and 15 clicks but felt too "stiff" for daily. I'm at 20F and 25R now.
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping the coils/springs themselves would improve the harshness and to maybe readjust for softer in two weeks. I will try to go to same 20F 25R from the get go then, thanks! My goal is to mainly improve the ride while dropping only 3/4 to an inch in front and retaining a sporty feel but not jumping out of my seat in Baltimore lol.
Old 12-14-16, 09:43 AM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Thanks for the tip. I was hoping the coils/springs themselves would improve the harshness and to maybe readjust for softer in two weeks. I will try to go to same 20F 25R from the get go then, thanks! My goal is to mainly improve the ride while dropping only 3/4 to an inch in front and retaining a sporty feel but not jumping out of my seat in Baltimore lol.
LOL

I'm lowered a little over an inch in the front and back.
Old 01-14-17, 05:54 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
having lived with BC's 16/12 in my daily driver for a few months i can honestly say a resounding "meh"

they don't really do anything well.

should have stuck with new OEM shocks at that price point.

factory Lexus suspensions blow. They don't last beyond 70k having owned 4 in the past.
Old 01-14-17, 09:51 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The hks hipermax iv have 16/10 rates. Seems they agree with the 16 up front and a bit softer in rear.
Old 01-14-17, 12:10 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Here is my 08 on BC racing with swift 14/10. I have it set at 20/25 from full stiff and it rides pretty well! Harsh bumps are no where near as bad, but it is a bit soft in that it's a little floaty. Just fine for me as it's a 3k a month daily. Can always tighten up for any sporty driving days, takes all of 1 minute for both sides. I am pretty content, as the 08 suspension was really making me reevaluate my purchase. Owned plenty of sports cars before that were nowhere near as harsh.
Attached Thumbnails BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?-img_0385.jpg  

Quick Reply: BC Coilovers..best spring rates for comfort?